Player Discussion Rickard Rakell

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Had a good playoffs with 7 goals 6 assists 13 points in 15 games with a +13 rating. If only he didn't get injured who knows how things could of turned out for the Ducks against Predators.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Hey there Duck Nation. Ranger fan here but bigtime Rakell fan as well. Yes it helps he helped me win my big $ fantasy league this past season but I've loved his style of play since he was drafted a few years ago and I'm a huge fan of his and love watching him play via the NHL Center Ice package I subscribe too back here on the east coast.

Anyways, didn't see a thread on him on your board and wanted to know what y'all think of his prospects for the upcoming season. 33 goals...18 assists in 71 games was pretty dang impressive last season not to mention pretty much a point per game in the playoffs as well(13 pts in 15 games).

Rakelll is just starting to hit his stride and I'm wondering if it's a bit too overzealous to think he approaches and even surpasses 40 goals and 70 points this upcoming season?

I'm basing this on the fact he likely will play with Getzlaf most of the time and be on #1 PP unit and he hopefully remains injury free. What's your thoughts fellas on Rakell's prospects for this year?

If I said 41 goals...32 assists would you tell me I need to check into the nearest insane asylum?...lol. In all seriousness...I think he really might approach those numbers....he's that good....thoughts?

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I wouldn't say you'd need to check in to the nearest insane asylum, but at the same time I don't feel those numbers are very realistic for him, at least not this next season. If he hit those numbers with the contract he is on that would be insane for us.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He had 12 PP points last year, wouldn't surprise me to see that number increase a little bit. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if his ES scoring rates decline. But this year he should have an entire season to play. I would expect somewhere around 30 goals and 25 assists.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I wouldn't say you'd need to check in to the nearest insane asylum, but at the same time I don't feel those numbers are very realistic for him, at least not this next season. If he hit those numbers with the contract he is on that would be insane for us.

I think it's possible depending on how well a full season of Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves does.

Oct 18, 2011
I say 30/30 this year. He's very skilled i think the assist numbers go up and his goal scoring comes down... Unless he's on the Getzlaf line alot

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Imo a lot depends on how much he plays with getzlaf. He will probably start at center due to kesler injury and if he does well they may consider him there longer term since we need more young centers in the system. He looks a lot better at wing but he has improved a ton since he last played center so who knows. If ricky goes back to the getzlaf line then his points will depend on what getzlaf we get. Getzlaf had a great year last year, i just hope we get another one like that.

Rakell does so many things really well and he has been steadily progressing for some time so i don't think he has fully hit his peak. His skill, creativity, and slipperyness make him really hard to defend. If he plays a ton with getzlaf and getzlaf has another monster year and rakell stays healthy I could see 40 goals but I'd say that's like a 10% chance.

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
I say 30/30 this year. He's very skilled i think the assist numbers go up and his goal scoring comes down... Unless he's on the Getzlaf line alot

If he plays the entire year on Getzlaf's line, I see no reason he can't pot 40+. If he is in the middle most of the year, probably 25/35 or 30/30.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He scored 20 the year before playing mostly 3C with some wing at the beginning of the year. Why would his numbers drop so much?

He was playing with much better linemates that year. Perry didn't turn into the ghost of Perry past until that year's playoffs, and McGinn was a 20 goal scorer as well. BB's system was also better for the transition game where that line scored most of its goals.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He was playing with much better linemates that year. Perry didn't turn into the ghost of Perry past until that year's playoffs, and McGinn was a 20 goal scorer as well. BB's system was also better for the transition game where that line scored most of its goals.

McGinn was only there from the trade deadline on. Before that he had Ritchie/Maroon. Next season say he plays the whole year in the middle he's going to be with two of Ritchie/Kase/Perry/Eaves. He's also a much, much better player than 2 years ago. Do you really think he won't hit 20 even playing in the middle?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
McGinn was only there from the trade deadline on. Before that he had Ritchie/Maroon. Next season say he plays the whole year in the middle he's going to be with two of Ritchie/Kase/Perry/Eaves. He's also a much, much better player than 2 years ago. Do you really think he won't hit 20 even playing in the middle?

It wasn't my argument. I was just answering your question. I think that 2015 regular season Perry >> current Perry though. I don't think Maroon is any worse than Ritchie, and I'm firmly in the (at this point) Kase is more flash than substance camp. I also don't think Eaves complements Rakell's game at all.

I think if Rakell is forced to take faceoffs and carry the puck in a standard role that his line will struggle with possessing the puck though (real possession, not Corsi nonsense), because that line is going to be an defensive black hole. If it's used the way BB used it, I can easily see him scoring 20.

I just think he's not a center.

If Rakell scores 15 goals this team is in big trouble. DVM can never just admit Rakell is good

That's factually incorrect. I've said he's a very good wing repeatedly. I just happen to think he's no good as a center except on a transition line that comes on during play.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
You tend to put qualifiers with alot of the success he has

I put qualifiers on the success of everyone on the team. I prefer to critically analyze as opposed to gush. I'm a fan, not a homer.

He shot at 18.6% this year, after years of 8.6% and 11.8%. That's not sustainable, especially when his shots were essentially the same the last two years (169/177). A dip to 11% puts him back under 20 goals. Not a terribly unreasonable thing to say.

He's crappy at faceoffs. Not poor, crappy. He has one move that gets him kicked out what appears to be 50% of the time.

Because of this, his line requires sheltering, and gets next to no defensive zone starts. He has 325 defensive zone faceoffs TOTAL in the last 3 regular seasons. 36 the last 3 playoffs (less than one per game, granted he wasn't at center the last year, but 36 in 23 games the prior two years is still **** poor).

He has a tendency to be a puckhog and lose the puck because he tries to go through 2-3 guys instead of making a simple pass.

He at times will stay to the outside and not be effective against heavy teams.

He's not shown the ability to be the guy to carry a line.

He's nothing special defensively.

He's one of the highest skill/creativity forwards on the team.

He has the confidence to try over the top moves (that he can frequently pull off).

He's extremely opportunistic (I don't see this term as a negative and don't understand why others do)

He has the ability to score timely goals.

He has a top 5 wrist shot on the team.

He's young, not remotely a finished product, and should be expected to improve, but that improvement won't be linear, and doesn't preclude regression in some parts of his game.

Do you disagree with any of that?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->