Rick Nash vs Jeff Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
fredez said:
I should've added that Nash is far from have reached his potential and that Rick Nash's ceiling will always be higher than Jeff Carter's one.

I agree. Nash is 1 year older and he's already much better than Carter. Will Nash get better, yes. He will improve his overall game which will be great. However, to think he will be a perennial 40+ goal scorer, I don't think that's realistic. He'll be a 30 goal guy, but I don't see him with 40 goals a year. And he really needs to get better linemates/use them more.

But Carter will also get better. His ceiling is still pretty high. To me, Carter is a more all-around player. Carter plays a very complete game to me, along with having good goalscoring skill. He's got size, speed, nice hands, plays good enough d. Once he gets a little bigger, that'll be an improvement. Again though ,the difference is Nash has proven himself in the NHl whereas Carter has not.

Nash still has holes in his game, but he will undoubtedly get better. The difference to me is that Nash can be a franchise player, whereas Carter, if everything goes well, can be a solid no.1 center, perhaps an allstar. That's the major difference to me. One can be a franchise guy, top 5 scorer in the league, whereas the other will be a really good player.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I see Nash as a 40 goal per yer year scoring machine that will be at his best when his team needs him to score. Carter will be a heart and soul type of guy that will put up around 80 points a season.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
I actually like this comparison, while in junior both Nash and Carter didn't play for the greatest teams but put up very similiar numbers. Nash has proven he can score at the NHL level, Carter has proven he can score at the international level. The one thing that will keep Jeff Carter from scoring the way Nash has in his first 2 years in the league will be the fact that Carter is drafted by the Flyers who have a lot of depth at forward which will result in Carter not getting great ice time where as Nash was drafted by an expansion team and was automatically put on thier scoring line seeing great ice time with power play minutes.

I think it's close but I see Nash having the better future.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
TJF said:
The one thing that will keep Jeff Carter from scoring the way Nash has in his first 2 years in the league will be the fact that Carter is drafted by the Flyers who have a lot of depth at forward which will result in Carter not getting great ice time where as Nash was drafted by an expansion team and was automatically put on thier scoring line seeing great ice time with power play minutes.

I think it's close but I see Nash having the better future.
Hitchcock has been yapping about opening up the game, and Clarkie also wants more scoring.
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/11380492.htm

If there's hockey again the Flyers will most likely be a very young team. At least on the top two lines they will be, so I think Carter will get plenty of scoring opportunities.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
blah said:
Hitchcock has been yapping about opening up the game, and Clarkie also wants more scoring.

If there's hockey again the Flyers will most likely be a very young team. At least on the top two lines they will be, so I think Carter will get plenty of scoring opportunities.

That's good news for the likes of Carter and Richards,the only thing that can stop them is Bettman and Goodenow.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
To the people who said that Carter is overrated, you dont think that maybe Nash is getting a tad more attention than he deserves? Sure he scored 41, but how many assists did he get? 16? And how about that other end of the ice? Nash is probably the most dangerous player in front of the net in the NHL. He's strong, has great anticipation and hands, but you cant call him a complete player by any stretch of the imagination.

I do not expect Carter would be the type of player that would ever be able to score 41 goals in today's NHL, but thats not to say that he wouldnt become the better player of the two.

mooseOAK*

blah said:

So, you are saying that Carter and Richards will go from junior directly to the top two lines of the Flyers?

I am assuming that you are not expecting Philadelphia to be competitive next yer.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I think Carter can go straight to the "2nd" line, which actually gets less minutes than Primeau's shutdown line most games. I don't know if Richards should spend a year in the AHL or not, because he'd most likely be relegated to 4th line duty in his first year or two with the Flyers.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
nash i think will be a consistent 40 goal guy because of the nature of his goals. hes a bull who has no problem scoring all his goals 2 feet out of the net. he scores ugly goals with no hesitation - he has the ability to score the pretty one - but he buries the loose chance in front consistently. i dare say there may not be another player in the nhl right now who does that better than him at this moment - leclair has lost it. the other aspects of nash's game will come around - he is only 20, but he will always be outstanding at this one thing that can set him apart, and i want the unstoppable guy over the guy who does many things well but masters none.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
mooseOAK said:
So, you are saying that Carter and Richards will go from junior directly to the top two lines of the Flyers?

I am assuming that you are not expecting Philadelphia to be competitive next yer.
Not Richards, definately Carter, and maybe Umberger.

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
To the people who said that Carter is overrated, you dont think that maybe Nash is getting a tad more attention than he deserves? Sure he scored 41, but how many assists did he get? 16? And how about that other end of the ice? Nash is probably the most dangerous player in front of the net in the NHL. He's strong, has great anticipation and hands, but you cant call him a complete player by any stretch of the imagination.

I do not expect Carter would be the type of player that would ever be able to score 41 goals in today's NHL, but thats not to say that he wouldnt become the better player of the two.

So, hypothetically, Doug MacLean calls Bob Clarke and says "Hey Bob, how about trading us Jeff Carter straight-up for Rick Nash?" and Bob replies "Oh, no thanks Doug, we believe that Jeff is going to be the better of the two in the long-run"
:shakehead

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Clarke and big centers? I wouldn't be shocked if Clarke turned down a Carter for Nash trade.

mooseOAK*

blah said:
Clarke and big centers? I wouldn't be shocked if Clarke turned down a Carter for Nash trade.
Hopefully, that is because you believe Clarke to be an idiot.

mooseOAK*

blah said:
Not Richards, definately Carter, and maybe Umberger.
Then I don't know where the top two line quality youth is going to come from.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Carter and Umberger are quality. You have nothing to worry about, the Flyers will still be better than the Leafs.

mooseOAK*

blah said:
Carter and Umberger are quality. You have nothing to worry about, the Flyers will still be better than the Leafs.
That's truly amazing because no one has any idea what their team will look like the next time they are playing.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
I peg Carter as a 20-20 kind of guy.

Carter's hands are too good to ever score just 20. Nash is great now. Carter will be soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad