Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal- Ethan Bear will be signing in about 2-3 weeks. UPDATED: Looks like he will sign with Capitals according to Friedman

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Washington seems weird, he'd be a 7D on their depth chart.

Fehervary - Carlson
Edmundson - Jensen
Sandin - van Riemsdyk
Bear

As a Caps fan, it confuses me as well. As far as I know there's no impetus to add to the D corps, free or not. They're scratching young D in Alexeyev and Johanssen already.

Nothing against Bear, whose game I am no longer familiar with.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The Caps don’t make much sense. Bottom pair d-men simply is not a need.

It would mean someone else is moving out, once Bear is actually ready for game duty. But who?

-Jensen and TVR just signed extensions.
-Edmundson just got healthy after being traded for this past summer
-Carlson? LOL. No.

That leaves Fehervary and Sandin. Sandin would be a shocking move.

So….Fehervary? Him and a F for a better F?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Caps apparently are willing to sign him to a 2 year deal....interesting.

As a Caps fan, it confuses me as well. As far as we know there's no impetus to add to the D corps, free or not. We're scratching young D in Alexeyev and Johanssen already.

Bear is a legit 4-5-6 Dman.

Puck mover, great at retrieval and transition, good skater.

Struggles with board battles and defensive awareness at times.

If he was healthy this off-season id say he would have received 2-3 year offers at around 2 to 2.5 mil per year.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The Caps don’t make much sense. Bottom pair d-men simply is not a need.

It would mean someone else is moving out, once Bear is actually ready for game duty. But who?

-Jensen and TVR just signed extensions.
-Edmundson just got healthy after being traded for this past summer
-Carlson? LOL. No.

That leaves Fehervary and Sandin. Sandin would be a shocking move.

So….Fehervary? Him and a F for a better F?
It's depth.

Carlson, Jensen, TvR all 32+ already. Fehervary has had injury issues already. Sandin was banged up before. Edmundson hasn't been healthy in how many years now?

They have already dressed the combination of Johansen, Alexeyev and Haman Aktell for 22 games this season and none of them managed to kept their spots. Even McIlrath dressed for a game already. If you have the cap space why not add another great bottom-pairing D on a cheap multi-year deal? Zero risk there.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It's depth.

Carlson, Jensen, TvR all 32+ already. Fehervary has had injury issues already. Sandin was banged up before. Edmundson hasn't been healthy in how many years now?

They have already dressed the combination of Johansen, Alexeyev and Haman Aktell for 22 games this season and none of them managed to kept their spots. Even McIlrath dressed for a game already. If you have the cap space why not add another great bottom-pairing D on a cheap multi-year deal? Zero risk there.
Sure….but why would Bear want to sign in as a 7th d-man? Wouldn’t he want to…. You know …..actually play?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Caps apparently are willing to sign him to a 2 year deal....interesting.

Bear is a legit 4-5-6 Dman.

Puck mover, great at retrieval and transition, good skater.

Struggles with board battles and defensive awareness at times.

If he was healthy this off-season id say he would have received 2-3 year offers at around 2 to 2.5 mil per year.
Is he a 4 or a 6? There's a bit of a difference there.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
It will be interesting to see what the number comes in at.

Bit of an odd choice if he does indeed opt for the stability of a 2-3 year contract around 2 mill/yr. The reason I always liked the Canucks odds with him was that there was clearly a need on the right-side long term, and the odds were that he'd get to play quite a bit with Hughes with whom he drove gaudy underlying metrics with last year. The Canucks took him from a guy who couldn't crack the canes nightly roster, to an everyday top 4 guy who, but for an unfortunate injury, was trending towards something like 3x3. If he did that again this year, he could have been looking at something like 3.5 x 4. Worst case scenario he just plays bottom pairing minutes, which I think he'd still be able to get at least 2 mill x 1 in the offseason. Seemed like a good risk/reward to me.

Maybe the Canucks weren't willing to guarantee the ice-time?

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
It will be interesting to see what the number comes in at.

Bit of an odd choice if he does indeed opt for the stability of a 2-3 year contract around 2 mill/yr. The reason I always liked the Canucks odds with him was that there was clearly a need on the right-side long term, and the odds were that he'd get to play quite a bit with Hughes with whom he drove gaudy underlying metrics with last year. The Canucks took him from a guy who couldn't crack the canes nightly roster, to an everyday top 4 guy who, but for an unfortunate injury, was trending towards something like 3x3. If he did that again this year, he could have been looking at something like 3.5 x 4. Worst case scenario he just plays bottom pairing minutes, which I think he'd still be able to get at least 2 mill x 1 in the offseason. Seemed like a good risk/reward to me.

Maybe the Canucks weren't willing to guarantee the ice-time?
Wouldn’t be the first player to take the short term gain over the long term promise. I think he plays with Hughes in Vancouver and does well and opens up a good contract opportunity. Vancouver had been negotiating a three year deal with him before he got hurt. If he only gets two years and doesn’t play well, I could see him out of the NHL.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
As a Caps fan, it confuses me as well. As far as I know there's no impetus to add to the D corps, free or not. They're scratching young D in Alexeyev and Johanssen already.

Johanssen is the same age as bear. Why not replace him with someone who is better and plays a position of greater need on the caps?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Caps are bullish on Bear.

He was injured playing at the world championships. Or he aggravated an existing injury.
32 Thoughts/Friedman today said his agent also put a super insurance policy in place when he was unsigned and went to worlds and was subsequently injured, in the area of a 3 million dollar policy. So you know he needs term to ensure he gets the same amount of revenue in his pocket.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kind of surprising. He's floundered at times when the fit isn't right. Between getting run out of Edmonton in a frankly embarrassing display by some fans, and ended up basically just rotting on the bench in Carolina...i expected him to put some stock in finding a good fit with Canucks. Including some likely minutes alongside Hughes that just drive up those metrics and potential value on the next contract.

Even with Zadorov coming in, it's a bit more of a crowded blueline...but injuries pretty much make sure he'd be playing regularly, in reality. Caps situation isn't a ton better in that regard, with a lot of what seems like #4/5/6/7 type competition anyway.

I can see the security of term being a lesson he's learned though. Despite insurance covering him apparently quite well after getting injured at the Worlds without a contract extension in place...i can see how it'd make a guy a bit gunshy. The other reality is, half a year trying to jump on mid stream on the season might not be enough to truly demonstrate his worth for the contract he wants this summer. A 2 year deal gives him all of next year to come into camp fully locked and loaded for a stronger whole season effort.

I'm just not really sure that the "ceiling" on a contract for him is all that high no matter what. I don't see much more than a #4/5 tweener at absolute best, and a smaller one at that. Not the sort of guys that tend to really get paid. I think he's probably looking at a similar salary range either way.

In any case...likeable, easy to cheer for player. Hopefully he's made a good decision for himself.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Sure….but why would Bear want to sign in as a 7th d-man? Wouldn’t he want to…. You know …..actually play?
He wouldn't.

What does that tell you? I don't think our GM sees him as #7, either. He's certainly better than Edmundson, at the very least. Someone else is going to have their minutes reduced.

For Bear it's pretty straight forward. He's getting straight into the line-up, for sure. The incentive for him is clearly that it's a multi-year deal and the 2 RD's clearly ahead of him are Carlson and Jensen. Both are 33 now, so there is a definite opportunity for him to move ahead and jump Jensen on the depth chart next season. The other incentive for him is the job security for beyond this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad