TV: Rick and Morty - Renewed for 70 more episodes

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pretty solid episode, Thought the ending/finale would be more like last years leaving a bit of a cliff hanger and such.

Also no Evil Morty or Phoenix Person / Tammy fallout yet.. weird.

Not too weird. They like to let things dangle so they can revisit them when it's appropriate or organic to the story, rather than having it be forced.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Season finale did what the season finales in this show always do, advance the story of the family dynamic. Episode quality was uneven, but the Beth mental crisis bits were pretty great.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah it was a fine episode but not really a finale. Though I guess Rick gets one upped because the family decided to not buy into his nihilism.
Yeah, this moment was pretty big. I also love how it throws shit in the face of the worst type of this show's "fandom" (those who actively celebrate their connection to Rick).

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Got to be honest, wasn't that big of a fan of episodes 9 or 10.

I understand the Beth character part of episode 9 but it was still meh to me.
Did enjoy Beth freaking out in episode 10, though.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Decent episode...had a few really funny parts, but it did feel a little off for a season finale

But at the same time, I've always felt like the fans expect way more serialization out of this show than Harmon/Roiland ever intended. I've always got the feeling that "Evil Morty" was a throwaway gag that meant nothing, but after a million fan theories they finally decided "f*** it, might as well run with this story if it's what the fans want"

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
That was a great ending. I liked how they dumped the Beth and Jerry storylines in a real funny way. I was getting kind of sick of them.

Real consistently funny season, was worth the wait imo.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Decent episode...had a few really funny parts, but it did feel a little off for a season finale

But at the same time, I've always felt like the fans expect way more serialization out of this show than Harmon/Roiland ever intended. I've always got the feeling that "Evil Morty" was a throwaway gag that meant nothing, but after a million fan theories they finally decided "f*** it, might as well run with this story if it's what the fans want"
Harmon and Roiland have both stated that they don't like to plan serialized arcs ahead of time, but intentionally like to leave a bunch of ideas open, ripe for picking later on when they come across something that they like.

So from that I would think no, they didn't intend for Evil Morty to become anything when they first conceived of him, but they probably went back to it on their own accord rather than merely caving to fan pressure.

It is extremely frustrating when fans call episodes that aren't serialized "filler" episodes, though. The non-serialized stuff is the meat of the show.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Absolutely loved this season. Only a couple merely okay episodes and a lot of gold.

Here's hoping the wait for season four isn't more than a year or two.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Their contracts are up for renegotiation after Season 3. If it goes smoothly and they get more money to produce episodes, the turnaround could be quicker, especially if they've figured out how to write the episodes more efficiently. This is one of the biggest shows on TV right now so there's no reason for AS to cheap out.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On that note, does it seem strange to anyone else that this show is as wildly popular as it is? It gets pretty out there, it's on Adult Swim, and has a certain brand of humor that is an acquired taste and that I can see alienating people from the show.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
On that note, does it seem strange to anyone else that this show is as wildly popular as it is? It gets pretty out there, it's on Adult Swim, and has a certain brand of humor that is an acquired taste and that I can see alienating people from the show.

being the funniest thing that's been on television since Chappelle's Show is a pretty good selling point

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I dont think its that out there. I think the tendency to over-intellectualize the show and make iy something its noy. A lot of the references or settings are not super out there. Theyre mad max or avengers or the purge and the jokes are nothing youd need a phd for.

As for being disappointed about not having a cliffhanger ending, do people really like cliffhanger season finales?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't mean out there as in intellectually demanding, I just mean outside the comfort zone of a passive casual observer because I would think its quirks can be somewhat off-putting, although that's obviously been proven wrong.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I didn't realize this show was ACTUALLY popular...I kind of thought it was popular as far as obscure tv shows go.

Kind of amazing that this show can get more of an audience than Community did. Now, if only we could do something do bring attention to that show to bring it back...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
being the funniest thing that's been on television since Chappelle's Show is a pretty good selling point

It's a reddit darling and aimed squarely at millennials. It doesn't help that people also feel like they're smart for liking the show, which draws a certain crowd to it. See complaints about female writers.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I still loved it. Good episode, just not a strong ending note.

I hope their contract talks go smoothly and they write S4 faster. This is one of the biggest shows on TV, just give them all the money and resources they need.

That's the approach HBO took with GOT. The only problem being that either through the added network pressure and/or budget expansion the show starts moving closer to the typical Hollywood style.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

How did I just see this now? Awesome! :D

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Such a great show, I have been hooked since episode 1. (currently on season 2)

Meeseeks reminds me a bit of Jakovasaur from SP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->