Richards or Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I must agree with Benny here. Kesler has fit in well with the Moose for a rookie, but having watched him up close and personal a dozen times or so this year, he doesn't impress that much. His intensity level is nowhere near Richards, and the effort on some shifts could be questioned. His size is very nice, and he works the boards and the crease very well, but I don't see him having the hands to put up first or second line type points. He kind of reminds me of Jason Arnott, good in spurts, but not consistent.

Richards is very much a Steve Yzerman type player with less skill. He'd do anything to win, and leads with his effort.

I don't know, time will tell, but I expect that Richards will become the better all around NHL'er.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
cneely said:
I must agree with Benny here. Kesler has fit in well with the Moose for a rookie, but having watched him up close and personal a dozen times or so this year, he doesn't impress that much. His intensity level is nowhere near Richards, and the effort on some shifts could be questioned. His size is very nice, and he works the boards and the crease very well, but I don't see him having the hands to put up first or second line type points. He kind of reminds me of Jason Arnott, good in spurts, but not consistent.

Richards is very much a Steve Yzerman type player with less skill. He'd do anything to win, and leads with his effort.

I don't know, time will tell, but I expect that Richards will become the better all around NHL'er.

I've never seen Richards play outside the WJ, so can't really comment much about him...

but by the sounds of it (reading this thread), he seems like a more talented version of Matt Cooke... a guy that never stops going, and will do whatever he can to help the team win games... not big, but plays much bigger than his size... Cooke was a scorer as well in the O, where he put up 45 goals in 65 games one year.

It's a matter of how much higher his talent level is though to see what more he can do at the NHL level... but players like that will always be very valuable to their teams.

not saying that Richards will be another Cooke... I haven't seen him play much... but the descriptions of him being a guy who never quits and does everything for your team, while also talking about his lack of size, although plays bigger than his size, seems to describe Cooke very well... the fact it's been mentioned that his offensive talent isn't as high as the top stars (ie. a less talented Yzerman, or Kesler having a higher or similar offensive ceiling in the NHL?) makes me see the similarities with Cooke more.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
That's probably a decent comparison Nuckfan, although I would say that Richards is not quite as abrasive, and more talented offensively.

The year Cooke potted all those goals, he was playing with Peter Sarno, one of the best passers in the OHL at the time (and now one of the best playmakers in the AHL).

FlyersFan10*

Richards' offensive game is vastly underrated on here. Because he does everything else so well (other than skate, but his skating is good), his offensive game is overlooked. However, at the end of a game, Richards usually comes away with a goal and an assist. He's just a solid, solid player. That's not to say Kesler isn't because I really like Kesler as well. Kesler's offensive game was underrated simply because he didn't perform well in college. He was always known as a defensive cog and it wasn't until this season that he developed an offensive touch.

Both players are similar, but they are also very different types of players. Richards is more of a playmaker. His vision on the ice is scary. That's what makes Richards such a great two way player is that he can anticipate a play happening even before it does. Kesler on the other hand seems to be more of a goal scorer. He's going to be the guy that will go in the corners and come out with the puck.

The good thing about both players is that you don't have to teach them how to play in their own end of the ice. As for Richards skating ability, it's good enough that he isn't going to get swallowed up. If he had Corey Perry skating, then I'd be worried. Fact of the matter is that Richards has the skating ability of someone like Rick Tocchet. Not incredibly fast, but can get from point a to point b with little difficulty.

I'm not worried about either player at this point. Each will be used in different roles on their team and each will excel at what they do.

pitkanen>bouwmeester

Apr 6, 2005
Hershey, PA
www.xanga.com
Blind Gardien said:
I have no idea who is or will be better between Richards and Kesler. But I would take Richards over almost any prospect in hockey anywhere (aside from perhaps the super-elite superstar types). I don't have any particularly sane reason for saying that, but it's true nonetheless. (And yes, I would draft him #2 beind Crosby if he re-entered the draft too). He has the warrior mentality that just goes right off the scale.

I can see it now: The NHL returns, Crosby turns out to be a huge bust, and Richards goes on to have an AMAZING career. Then Blind Gardien will just sit here and look like a genuis and will then proceed to rub it in ;)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
pitkanen>bouwmeester said:
I can see it now: The NHL returns, Crosby turns out to be a huge bust, and Richards goes on to have an AMAZING career. Then Blind Gardien will just sit here and look like a genuis and will then proceed to rub it in ;)
I don't get it... I would look like a genius because...? I can't spell "behind"? :dunno:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Blind Gardien said:
I don't get it... I would look like a genius because...? I can't spell "behind"? :dunno:

pitkanen>bouwmeester is like 13 or 14 years old

I'm not sure there's anything to get

The Commish

Dec 11, 2004
Richards scored PPG which turned to be the game winner in is Phantoms debut. He was second star, Jeff Carter was first star.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I_Am_Canadian said:
Kesler is going to be a Canuck whenever play starts without a doubt, can the same be said for Richards? Both will make the NHL but for who is the better prospect at this point in time I'd go with Kesler each and every time.

Unless something unforseen happens, Mike Richards will be on the Flyers opening day roster, whenever opening day is.

It's hard to say because Richards has only played 1 game as a professional, and Kesler has 2 years under his belt.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
kmad said:
In terms of grit - Richards sure has grit for a CHL level. Does that say a lot? It's common knowledge that the AHL is a harder, tougher league, at least physically, than the CHL - all three leagues of it. I'm not sure Richards has the size to be able to dominate physically in the NHL as he does in the CHL. He's not small by any means, but he's not exactly a big man either. I won't commend Richards' grit until I see him in a professional league.

I hear what you say, but I would also like to point out Kesler was able to put up the points int eh AHL and totally busted offensively at the NHL level. Lots of players score in the AHL and can't in the NHL. Richards has not been given teh opportunity to play at the NHL or AHL level, whereas Kesler has proven he is good enough fo rone and proven he wasn't good enough for the other so far. You don't have to commend Richards' grit, but you should also give him a chance to prove himself. You seem pretty eager knock him down a peg without giving him an opportunity.

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
I_Am_Canadian said:
Kesler is going to be a Canuck whenever play starts without a doubt, can the same be said for Richards? Both will make the NHL but for who is the better prospect at this point in time I'd go with Kesler each and every time.

Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said last week he foresees Carter and Richards playing on the Flyers' 2005-06 roster, assuming there is an NHL season next year.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/sports/s050205g.htm

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Juicer said:
I hear what you say, but I would also like to point out Kesler was able to put up the points int eh AHL and totally busted offensively at the NHL level. Lots of players score in the AHL and can't in the NHL.

Ok, wait a minute here. Kesler played 10 minutes a night as a rookie 19 year old on the 4th line with no powerplay time, and only played in 28 games. There is absolutely no way you should be looking at the score sheet from those games for any sort of talent analysis.

Not to mention he didn't put up many points in his time in the AHL that season either.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Juicer said:
I hear what you say, but I would also like to point out Kesler was able to put up the points int eh AHL and totally busted offensively at the NHL level. Lots of players score in the AHL and can't in the NHL. Richards has not been given teh opportunity to play at the NHL or AHL level, whereas Kesler has proven he is good enough fo rone and proven he wasn't good enough for the other so far. You don't have to commend Richards' grit, but you should also give him a chance to prove himself. You seem pretty eager knock him down a peg without giving him an opportunity.

That's about the dumbest argument I've ever heard.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Juicer said:
I hear what you say, but I would also like to point out Kesler was able to put up the points int eh AHL and totally busted offensively at the NHL level. Lots of players score in the AHL and can't in the NHL.

Kesler was put in a checking/PKing role with linemates Jarkko Ruutu and Brad May. Enough said.

edit: I see people have got to this before I have.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I haven't seen enough of Kesler to make a judgement on him so I won't be picking one of them.

What I will say is this, as a knights fan I'm obligated to dislike the rangers, but Richards is perhaps the most dominant OHL player I've seen the last few years. He was an absolute monster in the postseason, easily dispatching the #2 team in the OHL. Against the knights he led an otherwise completely overmatched team to a win against them and another 2 tough games.

He killed penalties, scored goals, played tough and you could see his team following his lead. From what I have seen he is a true leader and I do think he'll be successful on whatever platform he decides to play on.

Tom

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Pepper said:
No he doesn't, Kesler doesn't have even half of the leadership & grit Richards shows.

Funny... When Kesler was drafted one of his biggest assets where his leadership abilities.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^Exactly; Kesler has drawn tremendous amounts of praise from scouts, college coaches and teammates, AHL teammates, coaches and brass, as well as Canucks brass and teammates about his maturity, leadership, and work ethic. Kesler is an extremely hard working, lead-by-example type.

As for who I'd rather have, it's a really tough call; Richards was easily my favorite player on Canada for the WJC, but Kesler is one of the best prospects the Canucks have had in a while. They're very similar players, and it's like apples and oranges. If I had to give an edge to anyone, I'd give it to Kesler because he's got big NHL size and speed. It's extremely close, though.

Also, for anyone who nitpicks about his 28-game NHL performance with the Canucks in 03-04, no, he didn't put up huge numbers. He was a 19-year-old called up from the farm, playing 8 minutes a game on the fourth line. I was at the Canucks State of the Franchise Address, and Dave Nonis said that even in that 28-game stint, they were extremely impressed with how well he handled it. They were also happy with his AHL performance this year as he easily surpassed all expectations that they had of him offensively.

Kesler is nothing to sneeze at; he and Richards are very similar players, and it's a very tough choice.

~Canucklehead~

Liquidrage*

jin said:
Except the fact that Bouwmeester is actually better then Pitkanen by quite a fair margin.

Except for the fact that you're basing that on play from juniors and an all-star Canadian team because in the NHL JBo hasn't even come close to living up to the hype *yet*.

Pitkanen's looked better in the NHL so far. And while I can't speak for the AHL since I don't have an AHL TV package that lets me watch every game, it seems that way there as well based on what I can tell.

*btw, don't bother telling my JBo's looked better. That would just be biased talk. He might end up better, but as of now he hasn't looked it.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
canucklehead17 said:
They're very similar players, and it's like apples and oranges.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I don't think I follow what you mean here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad