Confirmed with Link: Rich Clune retires -- Joins Leafs development staff

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Probably for the best. He was a good leader for the Marlies young players but anytime he dressed he was more or less a waste of a spot.

This allows him to continue what he's good at while not taking a roster spot from a young player.

He was actually somewhat effective when he played, so he was less of a waste than some of the other depth guys who were played last year.

But with Clifford re-signed and Simmonds hopefully losing his NHL job to better players, we have better guys to fill the hole.

Real question is who becomes the Marlies' new captain? They may just run with assistants for a few years again, or maybe they will give it to Clifford.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
16 years in a meat and potatoes role, that takes some serious discipline and perseverance. Glad they're keeping him around, sounds like a great role model for the young ones

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would love to see Simmonds as the captain of the Marlies...he would be perfect for that role.

I feel like Simmonds may just retire after this year. He has made his money and he has a lot of mileage playing a tough style. Probably not worth him making a lot less just to be an AHL grinder.

Clifford may have a few more years left in him. He can probably be our Clune for the next 5 years.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Way to go Rich. Hopefully you can instill some of your leadership, bravery, heart, toughness and resilience in your players.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Wow big accomplishment not having to prove himself on the 4th line before moving into management. I guess we do plan to use the 4th line to play hockey this season :sarcasm:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
With both Spezza and Clune stepping into management/development positions with the Leafs, I'll suggest that the organization is recognizing the value of helping younger players develop in ways outside of the rink. Spezza was a solid citizen in the NHL for years, Clune overcoming addiction when he was young and becoming a valued member of AHL organizations for his professionalism offer our young players 'sounding boards' that can speak to the demands of the NHL/AHL both on and off the ice. Thanks for your efforts, Dicky, good luck in the future.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With Clune joining the management team Wickehieser is no longer the toughest member.

I’m guessing he reports to her?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad