Ribeiro on CBA negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
The Iconoclast said:
And how many times have YOU seen the Canadiesn take the cup for a spin around the rink? Its that attitude that made me turn my back on the Montreal Canadiens and find another team to cheer for. The fans are so wrapped up in a bunch of garbage that happened before the league was actually a league. What happened prior to 1967 has a huge asterisk beside it. Winning championships in a six team league with the table slanted in your direction is nothing to crow about, so 14 of those rings are really meaningless in the context of today's league. In reality you could also knock off a couple more as the Canadiens had to beat an expansion team to to take the prize (the eqivalent of beating Columbus last year). The Canadiens are truely a storied franchise, but many of those stories are nothing but fables and legend any more. They are applicable in todays NHL and don't mean a thing. Unless of course you want to recognize the fact that Toronto is the second most "storied" team in the league! What happened prior to 1970 is really out of context and I wouldn't brag too hard about it. After all, none of the teams you likely wish to put down were in existance genius.

:shakehead

Say what you want, but Montreal has still won more cups than anyone else since 1970. Not to mention more cups before 1970 than anyone else has won in total. If you want to downplay the importance of history in today's game, fine, but to dismiss 61 years of Montreal's storied history as a "bunch of garbage", you need help. And as a Montreal fan, I'm glad you left.

Toronto and Phoenix/Winnipeg are the only two of the "Original 21" teams that haven't been to the finals at all since 1967. Montreal has gone 11 times since then. Trying to lump Montreal in with Toronto serves no purpose.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
And how many times have YOU seen the Canadiesn take the cup for a spin around the rink? Its that attitude that made me turn my back on the Montreal Canadiens and find another team to cheer for. The fans are so wrapped up in a bunch of garbage that happened before the league was actually a league. What happened prior to 1967 has a huge asterisk beside it. Winning championships in a six team league with the table slanted in your direction is nothing to crow about, so 14 of those rings are really meaningless in the context of today's league. In reality you could also knock off a couple more as the Canadiens had to beat an expansion team to to take the prize (the eqivalent of beating Columbus last year). The Canadiens are truely a storied franchise, but many of those stories are nothing but fables and legend any more. They are applicable in todays NHL and don't mean a thing. Unless of course you want to recognize the fact that Toronto is the second most "storied" team in the league! What happened prior to 1970 is really out of context and I wouldn't brag too hard about it. After all, none of the teams you likely wish to put down were in existance genius.

:shakehead

How was the table slanted in the habs favour ?

Please don't say the french canadian draft rule that lasted 3-4 years and never got us anyone that had any importance in any of the cup wins.

WC Handy*

mytor4 said:
now on a serious note. you calgary fans must be dreading the new cba now that there going to inforce the rule book. just imagine calgary not being allowed to clutch,grab and mug there opponents like last yrs playoffs. it will be another 8 yrs before they even make the playoffs again and now there's talk about losing there only real player to free agency if lowered to 28. too bad.i feel but i just can't reach.

I'm not sure what playoffs you were watching because the Flames were not a clutch and grab team.

mytor4*

The Iconoclast

Originally Posted by mytor4
now on a serious note. you calgary fans must be dreading the new cba now that there going to inforce the rule book. just imagine calgary not being allowed to clutch,grab and mug there opponents like last yrs playoffs. it will be another 8 yrs before they even make the playoffs again and now there's talk about losing there only real player to free agency if lowered to 28. too bad.i feel but i just can't reach.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ you know what whiner. i seen the habs parade around the ice 5 times before 1971 and another NOTE another 7 times after 71. how many times have you seen your team carry the cup period.people like to put down hab players because of our history-some are still jealous and you sound like your at the top of that list.

Lanny MacDonald*

mytor4 said:
The Iconoclast

Originally Posted by mytor4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ you know what whiner. i seen the habs parade around the ice 5 times before 1971 and another NOTE another 7 times after 71. how many times have you seen your team carry the cup period.people like to put down hab players because of our history-some are still jealous and you sound like your at the top of that list.

First of all, learn to use the quote button. It's a pretty simple thing, even for a Canadiens fan.

Number two, I was a Montreal fan so I got to see MY team take the cup for many a twirl around the ice. I was a fan right up until I had the unfortunate dishonor of sitting through a hockey game with some Montreal folk who flew in to see the Habs and Flames play in the Corral. After seeing their behavior and listening to their obvious lack of knowledge about the sport of hockey (cheering for Montreal is supposed to give you leeway for blatant stupidity or something?) I made a concious decision to cheer for the other team on the ice that night. So no, jealousy has very little to do with it as I once cheered for that same team (nee "I railed that broad then found out what a bunch of losers she hung with then kicked her to the curb"). I still have a heart string pulled every so often when I watch the Habs play, but then I listen to the fans and that is more than enough to generate a good hate for them again. To put it into persepective, I hate Toronto as a city, and the fans even more, but I would rather talk hockey with one of them any day of the week. They at least have a clue as to what is going on, even if the color in their sky is a bright magenta. So its not jealousy, its just an intense dislike for people who live in the past and can't deal with the present and have zero concept of future. I just find Hab fans to be like the "star quarterback" from high school who never did anything as well as he did in grade 12. They all love to live in the past and bring up accomplishments from long ago, while the others around them stand in silence feeling embarassed for the poor soul whose best best thing going for them are in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->