RFA re-signings this coming off-season

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We have 5 RFA's due for new contracts this year.

upload_2018-3-1_7-55-18.png

What do you guys thing the new contracts these guys will receive? This will largely impact our available cap space for 2018-19 and any push for UFA's as well.

Hertl and Tierney are bound to get decent raises. DeMelo should not even be re-signed given how PDB over-uses him and refuses to use Heed but I am fairly certain he gets re-signed as well. I doubt he deserves (or gets) much of a raise though.

Bibeau will probably get a 2 way deal in case we trade Dell. His new contract may make him attractive to some teams. Simek may end up getting just a AHL deal.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

View attachment 101465

What do you guys thing the new contracts these guys will receive? This will largely impact our available cap space for 2018-19 and any push for UFA's as well.

Hertl and Tierney are bound to get decent raises. DeMelo should not even be re-signed given how PDB over-uses him and refuses to use Heed but I am fairly certain he gets re-signed as well. I doubt he deserves (or gets) much of a raise though.

Bibeau will probably get a 2 way deal in case we trade Dell. His new contract may make him attractive to some teams. Simek may end up getting just a AHL deal.

Depends what there thinking on hertl. I assume they want to lock him up long term which is probably going to be near 5 million. If they want to see if you can stay healthy and put up a consistent 50 point season .one year 4 million Is closer to what he’s produced at. I would rather sign hertl to term because at this point I think we all agree we want him on this team so it looks like he’s going to be fighting to crack 40 points this year maybe we sign him long-term and get really good value

Tierney 2.2-2.5m

Demelo should be gone. I would say 1 mil tops

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I expect Bibeau, Demelo and Simek to accept their qualifying offers. Maybe they give Demelo a raise. Hertl I expect to get around 4.5-5 for 3 years. As for Tierney, I think they’re gonna package him with Boedker or Martin to try to shed salary. If they don’t deal Tierney then I’d guess he’ll get something aroud 3 years 2.5-3.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

View attachment 101465

With Hertl, it's dependent on whether it's a short term or long term deal. He's got two years until UFA status so you have a one year option to keep him restricted and have him prove himself one more time from a production standpoint or you're looking at a minimum of four years. The one year deal you could probably sign him for 4-4.5 mil. The four or more year deal, you're probably looking at a 5-6 mil range.

Tierney has three years until he hits UFA status and I would bet that he probably gets a two year bridge deal to prove that this year isn't a fluke. If he finishes what he's on pace for then I'd expect that to be a 3 mil aav. The only real alternative to a two year deal for Tierney in terms of the team getting value out of the contract being signed is a minimum of five years and I just can't see this organization doing that for Tierney.

DeMelo is probably going to get a 1 mil one-way contract for one or two years. He's not important enough to worry about his RFA/UFA status when it comes to his next deal but he has two years before UFA status. He's the type that they should keep since it's a reasonable rate and he provides value but it's up to the coach to properly utilize him. 1 mil for a 6/7 d-man that is okay is fine.

Agreed with Bibeau. Simek, should he choose to stay here and not return to the Czech Republic, will get a two-way deal as well. If someone like him can have a good showing in training camp and give the impression that they can do Dillon's job as good as him or better then I'm all for moving Dillon. I don't think Simek is going to really show himself to be able to do that here so we'll see.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The only question mark is Simek, the others will get offers.

The angst around Demelo is amusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Led Zappa

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I wonder how much the Sharks success spending on UFAs (we all know who the target is) will have on the RFA contracts. If the sharks can make a big splash signing Tavares does that help or hurt negotiations with Tierney and Hertl.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wonder how much the Sharks success spending on UFAs (we all know who the target is) will have on the RFA contracts. If the sharks can make a big splash signing Tavares does that help or hurt negotiations with Tierney and Hertl.

Hertl and Tierney will very likely be signed before July 1. It won't prevent them from going after Tavares.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I personally think if we sign Kane we won't be in the running for Tavares. I know some people have posted some numbers that it's possible, but I can't see it happening

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I personally think if we sign Kane we won't be in the running for Tavares. I know some people have posted some numbers that it's possible, but I can't see it happening

We'd have to make a choice when it comes to that. If we're talking about an 82 mil cap, trying to sign both Kane and Tavares I'd suspect would come in the combined range of about 18 million. We'd probably have to let Thornton go. We'd have to buy out Paul Martin. We'd probably have to trade Boedker and Karlsson. It requires a lot of movement but it could be done.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Hows everyone feel about Tavares if the only signs here for 12M per, you take that contract? Worth the risk? Cause I doubt 10M gets it done? Unless he really wants to win and takes 8/9M with a contender.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
It’s pretty clear that Tavares is the target this offseason and I don’t foresee Thornton, Kane, Martin, Boedker or Karlsson getting in DW’s way of making that happen.

If Kane resigns, there will be an abundance of wingers; Kane, Timo, Hertl/Logan, Pavs, Donskoi, Labanc, Boedker, Karlsson, Goodrow, and Sorensen. I would say Karlsson and Boedker would be expendable at that point, especially at their salaries. Fortunately, they should be fairly attractive in trade with their remaining contracts.

My RFA predictions:
-In line with @Juxtaposer, 5x5 for Hertl.
-In line with @Pinkfloyd, 2 years/$3mil per for Tierney.
-Unfortunatley, 2 years/$1mil per for Demelo.
-In line with @Fistfullofbeer, 2 years for Bibeau.
-Simek is tough to figure out. I’ll say 1 year 2-way.

Past those, I will predict:
-Martin will be bought out.
-Karlsson will be traded.
-If things continue to go well with Kane, I’d offer him 4 years/$6mil per.
-IF Tavares signs and Kane resigns, Boedker will be traded.
-IF Tavares makes it to FA and signs with the Sharks, it will be 7 years/$11.5mil per.
-I think Thornton will be back regardless. It will be a 1 year deal but the money will depend on how FA goes.
-Finally, I do expect that DW will be back in on EK65 (with or without Bobby Ryan) if the Sens continue to try and move him. Trade Braun for a 1st, then pair that 1st with the SJS ‘18 1st, Labanc, Heed, and Norris.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
-I hope they sign Hertl to a longer term deal rather than just giving him a one year "prove it" deal.
-Two years for Tierney to give him one more RFA year makes sense.
-I know nothing about Simek.
-Bibeau must have been good enough (or liked enough) to make them trade Grosenick. But he's third on the depth chart right now. I'd give him a two-way deal in case someone gets hurt.
-DeMelo should be no more than 7th on the depth chart for next year (even for this year), but who knows...

Reactions: Papa Joe19

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

View attachment 101465

All five are arbitration eligible. The good news, if player/team file, is that the player is protected from offer sheets and guaranteed will have new deal for upcoming season. The bad news, is that that the business can really rub some players the wrong way. Whichever party files, the other party determines the term (1-2 seasons; can only be for RFA years). Now most arbitration files are resolved before arbitration and/or award announced.

Simek doesn't have much leverage so probably won't go to arbitration.

Bibeau doesn't have (much) NHL experience to press his case either.

DeMelo hasn't had an amazing season (perks of PDB house notwithstanding) so may not have a great case. But he may want to compare his 8 assists to the 6 that $2.8m 24 yo D Ben Hutton has.

Tierney may want to compare to Niederreiter ($4.6m cap). He's looking for his third deal. But his is a bottom six player nominally.

Hertl may be the big one to worry about.

Hertl may want to be compared to Saad ($6.25m cap).

Hertl had his two year bridge contract, so definitely will be looking for the big $$.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Love Hertl but he's only had more than 40 points once and he has injury issues. He's very valuable but no way does get get more than 5M, hopefully a 5M x 5 years

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
When you look at the Sharks’s pipeline, it is clear that Hertl is a keeper long-term as the Sharks just don’t have anyone who could replace him. While DeMelo is nothing special, the Sharks don’t have much of a defensive pipeline with Roy having his injury issues and Ferraro being a LHD.

With Tierney, however...the Sharks may (erroneously) feel he is replaceable, so they’d be incentivized to give him a more short-term deal. After all, they have Gambrell, Gregor, Norris, and arguably Chariter all coming up in the next 1-3 years.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
When you look at the Sharks’s pipeline, it is clear that Hertl is a keeper long-term as the Sharks just don’t have anyone who could replace him. While DeMelo is nothing special, the Sharks don’t have much of a defensive pipeline with Roy having his injury issues and Ferraro being a LHD.

With Tierney, however...the Sharks may (erroneously) feel he is replaceable, so they’d be incentivized to give him a more short-term deal. After all, they have Gambrell, Gregor, Norris, and arguably Chariter all coming up in the next 1-3 years.

Tierney's biggest competition will be Norris, trying to eke out that 3C role. But the great thing about centers is that almost all of them can play wing, especially when they're first coming into the league. I expect Gambrell to be a winger long-term.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Even if they did have people in the pipeline that had Hertl's tools, there's too many other guys they have to worry about replacing before Hertl. With DeMelo, he doesn't play a role that you really have to think about having a succession plan for. He's replaceable within or externally through free agency. There's always competent 3rd pairing d-men or 7th D available. I don't think the Sharks view Tierney as replaceable at this point. It's not easy to replace 40 point capable 3rd liners that kill penalties effectively. But the same applies here that applies to Hertl. There are a lot of other guys they need to worry about replacing before worrying about guys like Hertl and Tierney. However, I'm only really expecting one of those four names to actually come up in the next three years and earn a spot in the NHL lineup.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Lock up Tierney and Hertl long term and have a stable 3C, and 2C. Still need to find a 1C though, hopefully JT.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I really think our center depth is going to be Thornton-Couture-Tierney-Gambrell next season. I think freeing up O'Regan and getting a stop-gap in Fehr opens up the spot beautifully for Gambrell to take it next year. I really think if Kane continues to look like he belongs that he gets $6 million like Couture and Pavs.

Ideally I'd want:

fl0BtzA.jpg

Still leaves us with $5 million for raises for Meier/Labanc. Gives us another year to figure out what we have in Norris + prospects and new draft addition this year, which I hope to god is a high skill center. After this, hopefully Couture/Pavelski take similar amount salaries to what they make, especially Pavelski, or if we're out of it we sell him and Thornton at the deadline to finally rebuild this.

I personally don't think we can get Tavares, and it's much more likely we'll be able to sign Kane long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->