Speculation: Resigning Mike Green +'s vs -'s?

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by BinCookin, Mar 8, 2018.

1. tsweeney

tsweeney Registered User

He only gets offered/takes that if his injury lingers into the summer.

If he was not injured at the TDL, the Wings would have been more likely to deal him. Washington could have been prodded into him if he wasn't limping into the day. McD still likely goes to Tampa. Teams would have felt more comfortable ponying up assets for a healthy Green.

2. BinCookin

BinCookin Registered User

I think I would do this:

1 year deal, (no protection) - 7 to 7.5 Mil.

Detroit does this to trade him at tdl. With retained salary, his pay shouldnt matter.
    Green does this because he can make more $$ this year than any other contract offer.

I would Not sign Green to a 3,4 or 5 year deal. If Green wants that, we should not be offering him that.

21 Savage and Winger98 like this.
  3. jkutswings

jkutswings Registered User

No, I may have misspoke.

I mean that Green has always been a "good with the bad" type of player, but now seems to be less interested in defense than ever. And I don't see how that detriment, coupled with his likely desire to get a multi year deal, could be compatible with Detroit's seeming goals of "playing the right way" while rebuilding. Or with teams being interested in him at the deadline.

Yes, he might still be adjusting from the injury. But that "line change" was pure lack of effort, and if the Wings keep harping on the kids who slack, while bringing back Green, that's a double standard to the point of a brewing powderkeg of a locker room.

4. ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ Registered User

X2. With a 1 year deal from the Wings, he knows that unless he gets an ironclad NMC it's likely he gets moved to a contender at the TDL, so why not just start with a contender anyway...

I'm also betting that he (and probably his agent) would rather get decent money and at least two years of term this summer, so he doesn't have to go back to the UFA market in July 2019 and be an afterthought behind whatever ends up happening with guys like Doughty/Karlsson/OEL/McDonagh.

I'm predicting Holland (or whoever) tries to get Green re-signed on a 2year $5-5.5M AAV deal with an NTC that loosens up for the 2020 trade deadline. And if that doesn't work, the Wings try to bring in someone like Hamhuis/Enstrom/JJ/etc. along with a 2nd low cost 1year UFA dman if they have cap space. Unlike what has been proposed for the forwards next season, there's probably a 0% chance this team leaves any spots open on the blue line for young guys.

5. Fire Ken Holland

Fire Ken Holland into outer space

I don't want him to resign, but I also don't want him to re-sign.

jkutswings likes this.
  6. TheMule93

TheMule93 On a mule rides the swindler

Great comment re: signing Green

BinCookin and jkutswings like this.
  7. HIFE

HIFE Registered User

I'm of the minority that say he's one of few players we should keep around. At least you have one veteran with all-star talent. He has the best hands on the team and his IQ is way above average. Seem like many are underrating his overall contribution as a quality player in this league.

We know other teams were interested at the DL but Green clearly wants to stay in the Metro Area, which I think is great. All indications lead to it being a done deal. I really hope it's for less money but they've got to be thinking at least 3 years.

8. TheMule93

TheMule93 On a mule rides the swindler

im just afraid of investing in a 32yo defenseman long term (4+ years)

9. Redder Winger

Redder Winger Registered User

I've seen enough to know why Washington had no interest in keeping him around.

dragonballgtz likes this.
  10. kliq

kliq Registered User

I agreed regarding the trade deadline.

I think he takes that offer if he wants to stay in Detroit. Now, if his goal is to maximize his earning potential, then I agree with you.

11. kliq

kliq Registered User

MAYBE on this board, but from what I read the majority of fans want him back. Just saw a poll today that showed 83% of Wings fans want him re-signed. I would post it, but I dont think I can. PM me if you want to see the link.

12. kliq

kliq Registered User

If we don't land JT and we re-sign our RFA's first, thats a really good idea. That way it won't hurt us moving forward, and we can get value back at the TDL.

BinCookin likes this.
  13. Number1RedWingsFan52

Number1RedWingsFan52 Registered User

Hospital worker
    No way Green is taking 2.5 or 3 million per, On the open market he should get at least 4.5 or 5 million per. I say at least 3 years @ 5 million per from Detroit.

14. Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld Tanking

I'd be ok with Holland re-signing Green if it prevents him from throwing big money and term and Jack Johnson.

21 Savage likes this.
  15. TheRatPoisoner

TheRatPoisoner Registered User

Yeah, HSJ had an article talking about resigning him for 3 million per. Don't think there's any chance he signs for that little.

16. 21 Savage

21 Savage Registered User

3 years at 4.5 or 2 years at 5 would be fine with me.

Alternatively, Bincookin’s idea of overpaying for a year to flip would be fine as well

17. Number1RedWingsFan52

Number1RedWingsFan52 Registered User

Hospital worker
    Yeah HSJ is't being realistic if she thinks that Greener will sign for that low, Possibly 4.5 million at the very least but he'd probably want at least 4 years in term. Teams out there will throw some money his way far more then $3 million per.

18. WingedWheel1987

WingedWheel1987 Registered User

Retired
    I could definitely see Green come back to Detroit if he has zero interest in accomplishing anything for the remainder of his career. It would be the equivalent of early retirement. I don't expect him to take a short term deal so that he can be flipped at the TDL. I expect his next contract to be a minimum of three years. Basically the exact same deal he signed three years ago.

19. HIFE

HIFE Registered User

As I was alluding I think he decided this back in February. For as much as we hear repeated "oh they want to chase for the Cup", possibly that isn't true for every player. Does that make Green a loser? Kind of. :laugh: I could see his priorities being stability for his family first. In reality 97% of NHL players never get their name inscribed on the SC and that must be in the back of their minds.

20. cjm502

cjm502 Bingo Bango!

I have no problem bringing Green back. Our defense is already trash with him, we would have the worst defense in the league without him. I'm all for the tank but let's not become the Oilers here.

21. Go Wings

Go Wings Registered User

Sign him to a one year deal around 5 million then trade him at the deadline.

22. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Crashes the Crease

We've been committed to a rebuild for over a season with Green on the team. I think resigning him would just be a vote for more of the same. His main value for the Wings now is that he might give them the option to trade him at the deadline, provided he doesn't get a NTC/NMC.

With the goaltending where it's at, with no big goal scorers, with the lack of any great defensive defenders, one mid-thirties Green hasn't changed much in terms of the standings. The step toward improvement, I think, would be to spend the money on a better defensive defender instead. However, that would be a move that doesn't have rebuilding in mind quite as much.

An all-star offensive guy like Green is kind of an extravagance on a team whose defenders have trouble defending. So, if you splurge on him at all at this point, you're just thinking about trading him for picks, rather than getting him so you can try to win now.

A third option is to fully embrace the rebuild by just signing whoever is cheapest. That would depend on whether you already have someone else who you want to trade at the deadline for future picks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  23. Winger98

Winger98 powers combined

Home Page:
    Give Holland the sort of draft positions that Edmonton has enjoyed this millennia and I would be fairly comfortable in believing he'd put together a substantially better team than Edmonton has been able to. Edmonton is where they are at because they can't draft for jack outside of their high first rounders.

24. lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan Registered User

retired
    Wonder if Green has really hurt his UFA chances with other teams when apparently he didn't want to leave the Wings this year. It's like he didn't want to a playoff run and just wanted stay at home and rest.
    I could see a 3 or 4 year contract at 5m for Green. I just think he isn't going to have many suitors despite being about only RHD UFA.

25. RedWingsfan55

RedWingsfan55 Registered User

Depends on your goals? He is the only offensive defenseman we have on the team right now. So that means he mostly likely adds 5 wins by himself.

Don't sign him and we get a better lottery for next year?

I would sign him though for 2 or 3 years. Because I do like to have a good veteran back there and kronwall isn't that guy.