Speculation: Resigning Mike Green +'s vs -'s?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I know we all wanted to get a draft pick for Mike Green... but sadly we didn't.

Should we resign Mike Green?

If so...

For what Cap hit? How many years?

Is letting him walk even an option we would ponder? (Cap space is an asset in todays NHL)

(to be clear, i think he is our best D man by a country mile)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If he's willing to sign a 1 year or 2 year deal in which he doesn't have a NTC in his last year I'd definitely resign him... But only to move him at the deadline.

Otherwise I don't really see the point. We won't be competitive anytime soon so Green doesn't do a ton for us. If we can trade him for assets, then sure. I'll take the free assets.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I would love to sign him, he at least adds some talent and flair to the backend and makes this team a little bit better to watch. 3 years 5-6 million give or take. Assuming the important young guys are signed (Mantha, Larkin, Helm, Abby, Kronwall)

Reactions: Skippy73

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
At 1-2 years, no doubt yes. 3 or more depends on cap hit and it would need to be without NMC/NTC.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Like others have said it would have to be without an NTC/NMC. I think it's clear he doesn't really move the needle for us, so unless it's part of other moves we'll just be returning the same lack luster blueline next year. I don't see why he would re-sign here without perks, though. We're not a great team, he won't be playing for the Cup any time soon. He's going to want more money, more term, and/or a NTC/NMC.

I'd rather just not bring him back, and either sign a one year option or just go with what we already have to maximize how our flexibility the following summer when Kronwall's deal also comes off the books.

Reactions: jkutswings

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
If he's willing to sign a 1 year or 2 year deal in which he doesn't have a NTC in his last year I'd definitely resign him... But only to move him at the deadline.

Otherwise I don't really see the point. We won't be competitive anytime soon so Green doesn't do a ton for us. If we can trade him for assets, then sure. I'll take the free assets.

Totally agree. Couldn't have said it better myself. If this doesn't transpire.... what a disappointment it'll be that we didn't move him at the deadline this year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd see what is out on the market. If nothing attractive, re-sign him for a year or whatever's left on Karlsson's deal if he's not already re-signed. Green doesn't make us a playoff team if he's here, but his absence will make us even more unwatchable than we are now.
You could certainly do worse things with $5M than lifeboating a top pairing D spot with Mike Green.,

The only thing they cannot do is let him walk and then get turned down by all their replacement options and have to give him a raise like Quincey. If you let him walk, you need another top pairing viable (not a top pairing guy, per se, but one who won't **** his pants in the role) D-man to come in. You cannot run a defense with just the non-Green options in the system. Guys like Hronek, Cholo, and Saarijavi aren't ready yet and all of the non-Green options in the bigs outside of Daley and DeKeyser are old and broken down or simply ****ing awful

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
If Green accepts a 1 year deal than maybe, but nope for any longer term contract. Only true value he has for us is if he is traded for a pick and at this point I doubt it would be for a 1st.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd see what is out on the market. If nothing attractive, re-sign him for a year or whatever's left on Karlsson's deal if he's not already re-signed. Green doesn't make us a playoff team if he's here, but his absence will make us even more unwatchable than we are now.
You could certainly do worse things with $5M than lifeboating a top pairing D spot with Mike Green.,

The only thing they cannot do is let him walk and then get turned down by all their replacement options and have to give him a raise like Quincey. If you let him walk, you need another top pairing viable (not a top pairing guy, per se, but one who won't **** his pants in the role) D-man to come in. You cannot run a defense with just the non-Green options in the system. Guys like Hronek, Cholo, and Saarijavi aren't ready yet and all of the non-Green options in the bigs outside of Daley and DeKeyser are old and broken down or simply ****ing awful

We won't know if we can sign until we the week before free agency. If we come crawling back to Green after exploring the market why would he give us anything we'd want to see him signed for? If we can't sign someone else, we would have to let the offseason play out a bit and if Green goes without an offer he likes then maybe he comes back willing to take something more team friendly.

If we're not going to just sign him to the three years with an NMC that he likely wants, I think we have to be willing to go into next season without him (or Carlson, or De Haan, etc.). Maybe we go out and grab Hamhuis or Bieksa for a year at that point.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think signing him is a no brainer. We don't need the cap space for anything else. We don't need the roster spot for anyone else. We need one vet defenseman who has some kind of clue what offense looks like to A: pass to our forwards so they're not constantly playing by themselves, B: teach our young defenders that there's more to the game than clearing and dumping, and C: entertain me.

The only valid reason i see to lose him is for a VERY good return (like a replacement D who's likely to be as good or better in a few years).

I don't know a lot about market value and contracts but I'm willing to give him a bunch of money for 2-3 years, or less money for long term. It doesn't matter as long as it doesn't prevent us paying stars when we need them, which won't be an issue for at least 2 years, probably more.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Thankfully, there is a decent window between draft results and free agency. Until then, I'm not going to speculate, although it's tough for me to see a deal that is both agreeable to the player and to the financial flexibility I'd like to see with this roster.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

This.

I'm operating under the assumption that if Green isn't re-signed, Holland (or whoever) will simply grab another Dman (or two...) on the UFA market. If that's the case, I'd rather it be re-signing Green (on a short term deal with more movement flexibility), than roll the dice on trying to get another Daley but potentially end up with another Ian White, Colaiacovo or Quincey...

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
f*** no. Let him walk.
That was a heartless, give-up play last night.
We've seen too much of that.

Z through the kids under the bus last night, but Kronwall, Green and Dekeyser made awful and lazy mistakes leading to goals.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I know we all wanted to get a draft pick for Mike Green... but sadly we didn't.

Should we resign Mike Green?

If so...

For what Cap hit? How many years?

Is letting him walk even an option we would ponder? (Cap space is an asset in todays NHL)

(to be clear, i think he is our best D man by a country mile)
f*** no. It will be another awful contact that will be impossible to move. We have plenty of awful vets signed to terrible contracts. Holland outsmarted himself by waiting for Green's value to grow. It's one of many awful decisions made by Holland. This is a bottom 5 team, time to stop trying to "rebuild on the fly".

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
**** no. Let him walk.
That was a heartless, give-up play last night.
We've seen too much of that.

Z through the kids under the bus last night, but Kronwall, Green and Dekeyser made awful and lazy mistakes leading to goals.

I do a 1 year deal worth 5 million, then flip him next year at the deadline. I highly doubt we resign him though, someone will offer him a 3 year /15 or something along those lines.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I do a 1 year deal worth 5 million, then flip him next year at the deadline. I highly doubt we resign him though, someone will offer him a 3 year /15 or something along those lines.
He'll get a multi year offer. At a bare minimum he'd test free agency if you only offer a one year deal. I imagine if he's going to sign for one year it's going to be with a good team that has a shot at winning a Cup, not one heading into a 5+ year rebuild that's already been put off for 5 years.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I envision him getting an offer similar to what Daley accepted. 3yrs/10m total

Don't see how he would get 5m/yr if nobody wanted him at the trade deadline.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

1) Teams were interested. They were just more interested in EK and McDonagh.
2) There was apparently a trade with Toronto that Green killed with his NTC.
3) Green was injured and had sat out 6 games prior to the TDL so teams likely wanted a big discount on him and Holland said no to that.

Also, Green >>> Daley. No way Green gets less than 5 and that's if he gives someone a discount. It's far far more likely that he makes 6M plus in FA

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Not really the same thing. At the trade deadline Detroit wanted a team to give up a 1st rounder for a guy who hadnt played in a week because of a neck issue.
My guess is somewhere in the middle, likely 3 years/12-13mil.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Based on my expectations for the roster next year, and how Green has performed lately, I don't know that they'd get anything for him at the deadline next year, and I think he might want out of town (unless he thinks the organization is ok with paying him to continue slacking off).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Based on my expectations for the roster next year, and how Green has performed lately, I don't know that they'd get anything for him at the deadline next year, and I think he might want out of town (unless he thinks the organization is ok with paying him to continue slacking off).

Your thinking is he's playing poorly because he's coasting so the Wings don't want him around?

I think it is more likely that he's slow getting back into the pace of things because he had an upper body injury serious enough he was out for a couple weeks.

I think it's a lot less nefarious than that. I think he's just slow getting back into the swing of things... aka exactly why teams wanted a big discount for him at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->