Request For Winnipeg Stories

CBC Doc Unit

Dec 19, 2012
I am a television producer with CBC Television. I work on the program "Doc Zone".

While we are keeping our fingers crossed that the NHL season can be saved, we are, nevertheless, bracing for the possibility of a winter without hockey. Should that happen, we are exploring a documentary idea. Our focus would not be on the labour dispute, the economics or any of the negotiations at all.

Instead we want to take a look at how Canadians are coping without the national game. It would speak to our psyche, our emotional connection to hockey, and it would be a wry, affectionate perspective

So..we want to know what people are doing without their NHL fix. Have you taken up a new hobby? Kick start an old hobby? If you're part of a family of hockey fans, what are all of you doing now? If you're in business, how are you meeting the challenge? If you use the hockey season to entertain clients, what are the alternatives?

We're open to all ideas. We're not trying to make light of the labour dispute. Rather through these stories we hope to show that even if hockey is gone, it is not forgotten.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'm leaving forever. Going to live somewhere with professional sports. Maybe somewhere with a football (soccer or NFL) team.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I play in two bands and there is much more time, money and energy to devote to the love of music this year.

I am a television producer with CBC Television. I work on the program "Doc Zone".

While we are keeping our fingers crossed that the NHL season can be saved, we are, nevertheless, bracing for the possibility of a winter without hockey. Should that happen, we are exploring a documentary idea. Our focus would not be on the labour dispute, the economics or any of the negotiations at all.

Instead we want to take a look at how Canadians are coping without the national game. It would speak to our psyche, our emotional connection to hockey, and it would be a wry, affectionate perspective

So..we want to know what people are doing without their NHL fix. Have you taken up a new hobby? Kick start an old hobby? If you're part of a family of hockey fans, what are all of you doing now? If you're in business, how are you meeting the challenge? If you use the hockey season to entertain clients, what are the alternatives?

We're open to all ideas. We're not trying to make light of the labour dispute. Rather through these stories we hope to show that even if hockey is gone, it is not forgotten.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Without NHL hockey I've been sort of confused as to what to do. I've been trying to fill my time with different hobbies but nothing comes close sitting down and watching a hockey game.

I try to fill the void by watching and reading up on prospects. It's really neat to see future NHL stars in the making and trying to guess how their careers will pan out.

I also try to catch as many CHL games as I can on TV or through internet streams. The competition is pretty good and really gives me the fix I need.

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm travelling to Southern Ontario over the Christmas holidays to watch AHL hockey in Toronto and Hamilton. I'm also excited one of those games features the Jets' farm team, the St. John's Ice Caps.

I learned a lot about my interest in hockey over the past year. Looking back, I never went to Junior games and still don't. I only attended about 8-10 Moose games per season and then the Jets came back and I attended twenty home games.

I think it's easy to say I'm more so an NHL fan, and not so much a hockey fan.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Make a documentary on all the leisure time hockey fans got back...only to be put back into online hockey forums speculating about the lockout. As a public broadcaster you have the ability to tell the people's story!

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Honestly when the Jets came back my beer + potato chip consumption went up like 500%. Put on some weight and wasn't getting as much exercise as normal.

I was planning on going to about 10 games, like I did last year. With tickets and food and beverage, that's probably about $120 per game or $1200.

Last month I decided there would likely be no hockey this year. So I booked a trip to Puerta Vallarta for a week in February. All-inclusive - cost $1244. Pretty close to what the tickets would have cost me. Also signed up to run a half-marathon in February, and started training last month. A good way to get in shape for the beach and work off those couch-potato-watching-the-game pounds.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I've been pretty pissed.

Most years I watch a lot of junior hockey, mostly CHL, but I sometimes get a chance to watch some games in the states.

This year I have school blocking most of my options, but I try to watch junior games on TV or on the internet (on a side note, junior games can be very expensive.) I've also gone down and watched a few AHL games, often in Toronto or Hamilton.

My other favourite sport is NFL football, but with only one game a week, I've been going crazy for top-notch sports. Been trying to get into college ball, but it's tough.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
I,like a lot of people here in St John's are following our AHL team. Some fans are missing the NHL. Many of us couldn't care less. When I am at the games, or listening on the radio, it's as if there wasn't a lockout. I feel bad for my fellow Jets fan in the 'Peg.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
I'm travelling to Southern Ontario over the Christmas holidays to watch AHL hockey in Toronto and Hamilton. I'm also excited one of those games features the Jets' farm team, the St. John's Ice Caps.

I learned a lot about my interest in hockey over the past year. Looking back, I never went to Junior games and still don't. I only attended about 8-10 Moose games per season and then the Jets came back and I attended twenty home games.

I think it's easy to say I'm more so an NHL fan, and not so much a hockey fan.

Enjoy the games, I'll be watching

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I have buried myself in junior hockey (watching Jets prospects) and other sports such as the NFL right now. My girlfriend likes that I'm only busy watching that a few days a week rather than every other day like the NHL. :laugh:

Come spring time it'll be the MLB and the Blue Jays. I'll find other things to spend my money on and I don't think the NHL will get any more of it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have buried myself in junior hockey (watching Jets prospects) and other sports such as the NFL right now. My girlfriend likes that I'm only busy watching that a few days a week rather than every other day like the NHL. :laugh:

Come spring time it'll be the MLB and the Blue Jays. I'll find other things to spend my money on and I don't think the NHL will get any more of it.

I'm already spending time on the Blue Jays, watching their moves, seeing what othe teams in the AL are doing, and patiently waiting till spring training starts.

Can't really get into Junior although I love the hockey. I need a team I can actually follow, as in watch all the games, see them live occasionally etc. I have been playing hockey a little more than last year. I find that actually participating the game makes it easier to bear and harder at the same time.

It really sucks balls not to be able to watch my Jets this year after JUST getting them back. If the owners can get a deal that will honestly stabilize the league, then I am all for losing a season. It will hurt some markets very badly though.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Since the Jets player their last game back in April, my wife and I had a baby - and we already had a 2 year old. So I don't know how I would manage to watch the 60 or so games I watched last year (though I would have found a way).

So really, instead of watching hockey I'm playing more with my kids.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I think you'll find a lot of Jets fans are kind of pro-owner? Cause how can you not love Chipman. :)

The perspective of a Winnipeger will probably differ a lot from another Canadian.

I think a lot of us are scared to death of the trajectory that salaries seem to be taking and don't want Winnipeg to be 'priced out' of the NHL again.

I'm patient. I'm willing to sacrifice a year.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I have to be honest that the lockout has left an emotional hole in my life that goes beyond the game itself. The Jets, and the Moose before them, were the glue that tied my family together a lot of evenings. There was also a lot of anticipation and energy during the day leading up to games.

Not much of a story, but we honestly haven't replaced hockey with anything. I'd like to go on about how I've accomplished this and that and taken up new things, but rather I'm just suffering from a malaise right now.

I just want hockey back. The Moose even, just something! :)

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I havent missed a beat.

I am actually hoping the season gets cancelled, that way I can finish the projects I have currently ongoing.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I have embraced NFL to a whole new level and our FFL with 10 other friends has gone to a whole new level of intensity, trades and smack talk. Pretty much my Sundays, Mondays, and Thursday day/nights have been filled with football instead of hockey.
I have not really payed attention to the lockout at all......other then the Fehr/Bettman infamous press conf. a few weeks ago.

I have also lined up three ski trips (BskyMT, AB, WhtfishMT) from January-March to fill the rest of the void with the NFL coming to a finish soon. After March I hope to god there is some sort of settlement worked out and then I will start to think about a season. As for the WJC, I may watch but my heart just isnt into hockey at the moment.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There hasn't been much participation in this thread so I unstuck it. If anyone else has a story, please share it!

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I havent missed a beat.

I am actually hoping the season gets cancelled, that way I can finish the projects I have currently ongoing.

I was also hoping for a cancelled season. I am glad to see hockey back, but certainly wasn't missing it despite being a STH and big hockey fan.

My house projects were keeping me very busy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->