Rumor: Report: Red Wings, Maple Leafs expected to revisit Phaneuf trade during offseason

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/716173

Talks again about something about a trade with Phaneuf and Weiss being the two big pieces in the trade.

Frankly, if Holland can swing that and maybe one of our meh defensemen to make room for Marchy/XO, I am ecstatic. Weiss, while productive, is clearly not trusted to do what he was brought on to do. He's almost always in the bottom 6, often the 4th line. He's never playing center again it seems. We've got enough guys down the middle where it's not a big deal either. Makes room for some of the kids coming up anyway.

What do you guys think?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Hopefully it doesn't happen. Phaneuf is a child and wouldn't fit in the Red Wings locker room. He's also terrible defensively.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If they want to get rid of Phaneuf, it's gotta be on our terms.

This means They retain 2ish million and take on Weiss. I'd add a pick and middling prospect. It might not make sense for the TML, but I simply don't want Phaneuf enough to hammer out any other trade.

The only other thing I would do is Kindl + Smith + a middling prospect and/or pick (same money retained by the leafs).

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
And they should revisit it. For all the "he sucks" talk, he would instantly become our 2nd best defenceman.

If we can dump Kindl and Weiss as part of the trade, good. But if Leafs take on ~$2M in salary, the price will go up and we will have to part with a 1st and a young player we don't want to part with.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
No way Weiss is the centerpiece if we're asking for $2mil retained. At that point, if I'm looking at this realistically and from the Leafs perspective, I'm expecting no less than Mantha/Larkin+a first round pick+. I don't see us winning this trade if we ask for more than a million retained. He may have locker room issues, and his game may be slightly flawed, but in today's NHL he's a $6mil defenseman. And make no mistake, he'd instantly become our #2 d-man. I don't necessarily want the guy, but there's some serious underrating going on around here.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
When Weiss was put on the wing, instead of center, didn't he become a better player?
Like when Helm got bumped to the wing instead of center.
So in other words Weiss is no longer center, he's a wing.
He and Helm on the same line can also alternate center.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
No way Weiss is the centerpiece if we're asking for $2mil retained. At that point, if I'm looking at this realistically and from the Leafs perspective, I'm expecting no less than Mantha/Larkin+a first round pick+. I don't see us winning this trade if we ask for more than a million retained. He may have locker room issues, and his game may be slightly flawed, but in today's NHL he's a $6mil defenseman. And make no mistake, he'd instantly become our #2 d-man. I don't necessarily want the guy, but there's some serious underrating going on around here.

Agree with everything apart from Larkin/Mantha. It will certainly be 1st + good young player though.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean....no reason not to at least check and see if the Leafs are open to being more reasonable on the price

hopefully they try for Green first though

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
7 million per year for as weak a defensively defender as Phaneuf.. I'd rather say nay, but unfortunately Holland is interested. Personally I would rather have Kessel, which can happen as Nonis seem to be willing to blow up his team in order to tank.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Meh, was happy Holland opted for Zidlicky in the trade DL, and I'd prefer KH just going after Green in the summer.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I don't buy it. Wings were most pressed to make a deal at the deadline for the cup run now and Leafs wouldn't budge off their asking price - I don't think Wings will look there again with many more options now and the Leafs will have more teams bidding as well as cap room would be much less an issue than it is in-season.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I mean....no reason not to at least check and see if the Leafs are open to being more reasonable on the price

hopefully they try for Green first though
Do both. Try and see if you can find the right deal for Dion and go after Green hard in Free Agency. If we only brought back Kronwall, DD and Marchenko I'd be completely fine with that. A massive upgrade on defense should be the top priority.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Do both. Try and see if you can find the right deal for Dion and go after Green hard in Free Agency. If we only brought back Kronwall, DD and Marchenko I'd be completely fine with that. A massive upgrade on defense should be the top priority.

How do you plan to fit that under the salary-cap?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If they can manage to unload Weiss and Smith, they could roll this defense:

Kronwall-Phaneuf
DeKeyser-Marchenko
Ericsson-Quincey
Ouellet

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
dion will come cheaper in july

nonnis is dead wrong

as the losing enviroment and the media around the team becomes more toxic and the commitment to a full scale rebuild intensifies the desire from both the leafs and the phaneuf camp to part ways will lead to an almost luongo type situation

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Weiss, Smith, and E go if it means an upgrade in D. Smith replaced with Phaneuf, and E replaced with Green, March, Sproul, or XO. Weiss at this point is just surplus in offense.

If Tor can/is willing to take Weiss/E or Weiss/Smith off our hands I would be happy. Kindl may just have to be bought out like Tootoo was.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Not sure why the Wing's brass wouldn't be interested if the price is right. Our biggest need is clearly upgrades to the d-core. Would also allow us to get out of a poor-mediocre contract in Weiss.

I'd be ecstatic if we could do something centered around Weiss + Smith for Phanuef, Leafs retain ~2 million.

Not to mention Dion would bring a bit more size/edge/meanness - which is something I still think we could use up front and on the back end.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Okay so I get that the last time Phaneuf was traded it was because there was some issues within the locker room or whatever, but he only fetched Ian White, Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman and Jamal Mayers. That is a top 4 D (2nd pairing type of guy), ~2nd liner, ~2nd liner, 4th liner. Not to mention there was more coming with Phaneuf to land a few cast-off roster players.

Why now that he is older and further removed from being as good as his huge year in Calgary and having an albatross contract is he worth Larkin/ Mantha + 1st + ?

I think those names only came up in negotiations because Leafs wanted to start as high as possible. I really doubt he gets a package with one of those prospects in it from us, and though harder to qualify, any comparable prospect from any other team when he eventually does get traded.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Absolutely. One's a pylon and the other is convinced he's a goalie, I'm not sure opponents would be able to handle that kind of pressure to score.

Well they can't play together, but on different pairings.

I am not sure I would want Phaneuf though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->