Report: N.J. to stop Devils' payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

degroat*

The city will be losing this in the courts. Don't sign a contract you don't want to live up to.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I read that article three times and am still mystified. Probably missing a very obvious answer, but my question is:

Why would the State of NJ pay the Devils to play in the first place?

Because NJD brings in tax revenue for the State? (In other words, a State tax break?)

Wow. Talk about a sweet deal. Probably common, one guesses.

I wish I owned a professional franchise. :joker:

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
The deal was struck in 1995 to help prevent the team from moving to Nashville, as is stated in the article, as is stated in the article. It was after the shortened 1994-95 season. So it is not as if they parties involved, the Devils, the NHL and the State of New Jersey had no idea that a work stoppage could take place.

What is funny is that the Bergen Record (the original source for the TSN article) had another article about the Devils on Wednseday, October 7. It was about the Newark arena.

Here is an excerpt:
"It's a done deal," said Councilman Augusto Amador, an arena opponent who represents the East Ward. Amador's ward could house the Devils' new home as soon as the fall of 2007.
Here is a link to the complete article, Newark arena for Devils 'a done deal'. However, it requires registration.

Also, here is the original Bergen Record article, "N.J. to withhold Devils' payments during lockout" about the payments to the Devils.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I read this and laugh because it doesn't affect the Devils in the slightest. The bargain was struck so the Devils would stay in NJ instead of moving to Nashville. However, shortly afterwards the Devils sold the credit they would get each year to Credit Lyonnaise in France - so the French company gets the 3M per year, the Devils got the total lump sum immediately after signing the deal. The contract (and money) doesn't even matter to NJ anymore. We don't get it.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:
I read that article three times and am still mystified. Probably missing a very obvious answer, but my question is:

Why would the State of NJ pay the Devils to play in the first place?

Because NJD brings in tax revenue for the State? (In other words, a State tax break?)

Wow. Talk about a sweet deal. Probably common, one guesses.

I wish I owned a professional franchise. :joker:

Yep, the deal was signed when the Devils were comtemplating moving to Nashville, in 1995.

Basically $3 million per year to not leave New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->