Report by referees supervising group

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
The World U20 championship referee supervising group released a report at the Saturday directorate meeting regarding penalty calls during the four first days of action. In the twelve games, 183 penalties were called and out of them 63 (30%) were for restraining fouls (holding, hooking interference). Only two checking-from-behind penalties were called, which was reported as a very encouraging sign. The supervisors evaluated that the referees missed 26 infractions and that 15 calls out of the 183 could have been "washed-out".

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr6806.htm

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
The 26 missed calls and the 15 that could have been washed out were all in games finland played, right? :sarcasm:

sorry guys, i couldn't help myself. Its a joke

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
The 26 missed calls and the 15 that could have been washed out were all in games finland played, right? :sarcasm:

sorry guys, i couldn't help myself. Its a joke

They probably were.

Seriously though, at first I thought those numbers were really small, but then I started thinking that it's actually quite a lot. Even with all my whining I can't really name more than 4-7 (and the seven would be stretching it a lot) penalties called against Finland that I thought shouldn't have been called. And even those were enough to annoy the hell out of me... Imagine how pissed I would be if I thought Finland got 15 undeserved penalties...

The same goes for missed calls. The Russia game had plenty of them (but still probably 5-8 max), the US game had two, but can't remember any in the other games.

My biggest complaint against the refs would be the inconsistency. Weak call one way then a no call the other way makes it a double mistake. And by weak calls I mean calls that were justified to an extent, but another ref probably wouldn't have called it (sometimes even the same ref won't call it twice).

There's a difference between weak calls and undeserved penalties.

Anyways, that study was made earlier, before the Finland - USA game (was it even before the Finland - Russia game?) which makes those numbers seem even bigger when you really think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad