Replacement players prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
shadoz19 said:
Do you really think your going to get the same level of hockey out of replacements??? None of the minor leagues are the same level. They may be exciting but not the same level. Its one thing to be mad at the players and the NHLPA for this mess and be willing to watch replacement players to spite them, but its ignorance to think the level of hockey will be better or the same.
Did you notice that he said “some†replacements could prove they could play. He didn’t say the level would be the same. There are lots of diamonds in the rough outside of the NHL that would flourish given the chance.

Anyone who says the level is going to be the same is kidding themselves. Same goes for anyone who thinks it will be garbage hockey with fake players.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
AM said:
of the minor leaguers are playing in the show.

Once in the show, they will adapt and improve.

Big league coaching and support, constant attention.... yup I definately think there will be a minor blip in performance, but in 6 months, I'd be surprised if 1/2 the nhlers could win a spot.

Generally they improve because of their supporting cast. How many more points do you think you are going to get when you have Mats Sundin feeding you the puck or Brian Leetch as opposed to some career minor leaguer or ECHL player? Coaching and support are great, but that is no replacement for natural talent.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Cawz said:
Did you notice that he said “some†replacements could prove they could play. He didn’t say the level would be the same.

uhh.. i think you missed this post then. "Half" is a lot more than some

AM said:
Big league coaching and support, constant attention.... yup I definately think there will be a minor blip in performance, but in 6 months, I'd be surprised if 1/2 the nhlers could win a spot.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Im a Flames fan who live in Ontario and if the NHL goes to replacement players and drop the proce abit i will buy season tickets just to spite those bastards in the PA.

I'll give the seats up for some kind of charity for kids in Calgary or something. Anyway I can help stick to the players.

But once the players sign a deal thats do able for Canandian clubs and other small market teams I will support the players wearing the Flames jersey.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
you and I

shakes said:
Generally they improve because of their supporting cast. How many more points do you think you are going to get when you have Mats Sundin feeding you the puck or Brian Leetch as opposed to some career minor leaguer or ECHL player? Coaching and support are great, but that is no replacement for natural talent.

have a different opinion.

Yes natural talent is supreme, but all the players at the top end have alot of natural ability.

So, what do you have after that? Coaching and organization...

to wit, what I've already wrote...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
vanlady said:
Funny the only reliable polls I have seen say just the opposite.

http://www.compas.ca/data/050203-PublicInterestInHockey-PC.pdf
Funny, even this poll says 80%....polls are polls, but the bottom line here is that public sentiment here is that the NHLPA members make too much $$$ for playing hockey, and if it means they have to take less for the business to thrive and the owners to make some $$$ instead of losing it, then so be it :yo:

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Cawz said:
Did you notice that he said “some†replacements could prove they could play. He didn’t say the level would be the same. There are lots of diamonds in the rough outside of the NHL that would flourish given the chance.

Anyone who says the level is going to be the same is kidding themselves. Same goes for anyone who thinks it will be garbage hockey with fake players.

I guess it all depends on what you think of minor league hockey. Not Garbage hockey, but not NHL hockey either.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
AM said:
of the minor leaguers are playing in the show.

Once in the show, they will adapt and improve.

Be realistic...

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
shadoz19 said:
I guess it all depends on what you think of minor league hockey. Not Garbage hockey, but not NHL hockey either.
Exactly. Unfortunatly, there are people here who say they would rather support replacements, and people who think it will be like watching 8 year olds. Both those groups of people are basing their opinions on emotion rather than reality.

TheBudsForever

May 5, 2002
Visit site
It Will Be Interesting To See ....

who crosses. Frankly, no NHL'r or NHL's in waiting (ie Spezza) is going to cross for peanut money. Before they'll cross, they're going to want multi-year contracts at a pretty good salary.

If you think the likes of Spezza are going to sign one year contracts for a couple of hundred thousands dollars, dream on. Same goes for established NHL players. All of them are going to want 2 year contracts at absolute minimum and at a salary that at worst is about 20% to 30% less than the past market. Don't be surprised if some of the owners start a bidding war on the upper echelon players and then find themselves left with only $3 million dollars worth of cap room to sign 10 players. Many of the owners have amply shown in the past that they can be really really stupid. Then again, some of them may well elect to pay the luxury tax penalty or whatever penalty the NHL decrees unless it is really excessive and just blow through the cap by 5 or 10 million dollars.

Only the fringe players or worse will accept pay by the game or one year contracts for $250K or less. In short, replacement hockey is going to result in some significant losses for some owners IMHO.

For the money, I'd rather go watch a good movie with the family, or hit the local bar and buy beers and watch replacement hockey on the tube in between baseball and whatever else on. No way I'm driving into the downtown core to spend alot of money on parking, meals, and arena food and beverages, unless the hockey is played at a fairly high standard.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
listen

shadoz19 said:
Be realistic...

You dont even question what i mean by, 1/2 would have a hard time winning a spot....

For instance, whats the common turnover rate?

How about in 2 years?

You think these questions arnt rolling around alot of players heads right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->