Replacement Players = No Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Tom_Benjamin said:
Yes but the problem is the rules spelled out are all dependent on the draft being held. Article 8 is inoperative with no draft. No draft, no entry rules.

This will work. If they successfully do this, they can have a draft. End of story.

Tom

If NHL at some point cancels the season, do they have to get some rulings from the NLRB regarding the draft? For example, whether they are forced/allowed to have a draft? Or whether article 8 applies?

Or this optional for NHL, or something they can get a ruling at a later date? Or can they just leave it to any possible draftees like Crosby and his lawyers to pursue? Wouldn't it be useful for NHL to get these kind of rulings from NLRB?

And just a thought for the future, could NHL and NHLPA agree provisions on the next CBA about a situation, where no draft is held, or on what conditions draft would be optional? Are there any legal constraints to this kind of agreement?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
BlackRedGold said:
I doubt that.

Do you really think that Pittsburgh or Washington would still fight for a cap if it means missing out on Crosby?

How much would missing out on Crosby cost them? They'd lose millions because even a losing team with Crosby would still sell like a winning team if Crosby comes close to delivering on his promise.

The Pengs can't afford Crosby under the current system. Better for the Pengs to have no Crosby and a harsh cap than have no Crosby (because they can't afford him) and the old CBA. If it comes down to it and I was running the Pengs I would rather have a cap than have a shot at Crosby (considering its no given they'll get 1st pick overall) under the exisiting system.

YellHockey*

me2 said:
The Pengs can't afford Crosby under the current system. Better for the Pengs to have no Crosby and a harsh cap than have no Crosby (because they can't afford him) and the old CBA. If it comes down to it and I was running the Pengs I would rather have a cap than have a shot at Crosby (considering its no given they'll get 1st pick overall) under the exisiting system.

Can't afford him? That's got to be the most moronic thing I've read on here and I've read some pretty stupid things here.

They can pay Mark Recchi $3M a year but they can't afford to pay Crosby whatever the rookie maximium is?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
BlackRedGold said:
Can't afford him? That's got to be the most moronic thing I've read on here and I've read some pretty stupid things here.

They can pay Mark Recchi $3M a year but they can't afford to pay Crosby whatever the rookie maximium is?

Can't you think three years ahead?

Last edited:

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I could give 2 left nuts about Crosby now ... his agents are slime, plain and simple...

I hope the NHL does allow replacement players, **** the PA ... if the NHL loses franchises like Edmonton because of this lockout, I won't support the league, ever.

Brent Burns Beard