Proposal: Replace our broadcasting crew

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Simulcast and save money. Make Heeter PBP for both and Biz color for both and Nash host for both. McConnel, Walsh, and Lapinski will have to seek.
TV pbp is different. It's a more granular commentary rather than wide picture like radio.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Funny @Katie Connauton posted this. I kept meaning to post something similar, but hadn't gotten around to it.

The radio crew is good; I probably attend 1/2 the games and listen to more of the remainder than I watch. Biz has been terrific, though I was also a Boynton fan. Biz could (should and will) replace Nash on TV, the question is when and how.

My intended post was to encourage all you hockey nerds to hashtag #firenash #firetyson or any other form of shame and protest to the Coyotes and Fox Sports SM accounts. Send Fox an email too, I have. Do the same for Walsh; it's time this team had a media make-over.

PS: Tyson would suck nuts even if the Coyotes won the SC, my disdain for his baffoonery has nothing to do with the team's success, or lack there of.

Reactions: Yandover

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I listen to other announcers on the NHL channel on XM and I have to say that Nash and Boynton, as color analysts are at the bottom of the barrel. Heethuis compares favorably on play by play. McConnell less so, because he makes too many unforced errors.

I also listen to XM and think about 25 of them are better than Heeter . He's not bad, but he's not good either. Biz though will be a great next generation color guy somewhere.

Boynton was abysmal imho.

I would rate the TV guys as:

Pxp: Strader, Keilback, McConnell, Macleod
Color: Pang, Nash, Simmer, nobody (sorry, simulcast was a disaster)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Walsh and Nash are the first that need the boot. I cannot stand that ****ing bozo Nash.

Get rid of Nash and I’m fine.
McConnell is down right terrible. He can't call a game. Not sure if it's mostly his fault or Nash interrupting and talking too much or McConnell stops calling the play and waits for Nash to start talking. You listen to "Doc" who I think is the best right now, and he will call the game until the whistle and then his side kick will chime in. Walsh can accompany McConnell out the door.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Abso****inglutely not on Emrick. I’d flat out stop watching hockey if that dip **** and Nash were on the air for us. May be in the minority, but emrick is foul to listen to.
And I like "Doc". I guess different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: SR

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
And I like "Doc". I guess different strokes for different folks.

I like Doc too. I've worked with and around PBP guys in a variety of different sports over the years and Doc is one of the best-prepared, most knowledgeable guys you'll ever meet. You want a terrible PBP guy, you should have worked a booth with Marty Reid of ESPN at an IndyCar race like I did once. Hooooooooooooooly awfulness, Batman.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I miss Kielback. I like the baritone voice and that short pause and intake of breath before he screams "He scores!" He must have been a drunkard or something because nobody picked him up after he was let go. Boynton was picked up even after that bar fight.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I miss Kielback. I like the baritone voice and that short pause and intake of breath before he screams "He scores!" He must have been a drunkard or something because nobody picked him up after he was let go. Boynton was picked up even after that drunken bar fight.

All I know is that he was EXTREMELY bitter for being let go and spent several years as one of the loudest Coyotes relocation advocates before dipping into real estate, IIRC.

He was pretty great in Goon, though.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I like Doc too. I've worked with and around PBP guys in a variety of different sports over the years and Doc is one of the best-prepared, most knowledgeable guys you'll ever meet. You want a terrible PBP guy, you should have worked a booth with Marty Reid of ESPN at an IndyCar race like I did once. Hooooooooooooooly awfulness, Batman.

Hahaha...oh, man, you're right. He was painful.

"On...............the lead lap"

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't mind Nash, I think he has been improving although he makes you roll your eyes a couple times a period and you can practically predict what he will say. When he talks the game he isnt bad and I dont mind that he has fun with the job. McConnell is just the worst person to be his partner. They have nothing in common but try to act like best friends. McConnell just seems like the kid in high school Nash used to pick on who grew up and became his coworker. Their relationship seems forced and their banter is cringe worthy. Get a PBP who is more serious and can throw a jab back at Nash and I think the whole production improves. Seems like the NHL network likes Nash though , so maybe he moves there and Biz steps up. That or Biz makes the jump sooner rather than later and we are stuck with tweedle dee and tweedle dumb.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Perhaps it's just the way I watch the games but I've never grown a real dislike for any commentators really. Just too absorbed into the play on the ice to really get annoyed. Only one, actually... Pierre Mcguire. Something about him I find a bit grating. Oh, and kidcasting is not my cup of tea either. Too distracting from the whole purpose of the broadcast, the actual game.

However, I did recognize that Strader and Pang were quality.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

smoot

Jul 13, 2017
I love Doc. I think McConnell is the weaker link in our duo, he gets names wrong and drops some important plays. I don't think he is terrible though, at least his voice is decent.

They are homers but they are also home broadcasters. They aren't afraid to point out when the Coyotes get away with one and when the team was absolute dogshit you could feel their disappointment. Nash's game insight is definitely skewed by his old school role and gets repetitive but he's usually not wrong. I like his cheesy schtick. Maybe it's because his banter reminds me of on ice bullshitting.

All said I may be in the minority, I like Pierre and I absolutely can't listen to Rick Jeanneret without wanting to kill myself.

What is it about Nash you all hate so much?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I believe we should all be thankful that we have nobody even close to the awfulness that is Jack Edwards.

Not even Walsh is that bad.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
I think y'all are a little harsh in my opinion. McConnell has a good voice, just kind of unorthodox style and has been getting jersey numbers mixed up a lot lately.

Nash does actually have some insight that I think he should use more often, but instead goes with a level of corkiness involving taking shots at Matt and himself much too often. I think both can be better, but we are far from the bottom in the league.

Walsh is a good storyteller and clearly knows his stuff, but holy shit does his schtick get annoying. That somber lowered voice shit post-defeat drives me f***ing bonkers. It's like he's addressing a group that's mourning a loss. His constant references to how long he's worked with the Coyotes and how well-acclimated he is to the team (i.e. "see ya on the plane" & "Rick Tocchett gave me a stick") is annoying too. Get to the meat and potatoes bro, we don't need this foreplay bullshit. He also does this fake, exaggerated laugh a lot while looking away from the camera to emphasize, and it kinda makes me want to punch a nun.

other than that they're alright.

Reactions: Mosby

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I like Doc to an extent. He's a great broadcaster. His voice is just like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't get annoyed by his colorful vocabulary either, I just think it's silly - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Perhaps it's just the way I watch the games but I've never grown a real dislike for any commentators really. Just too absorbed into the play on the ice to really get annoyed. Only one, actually... Pierre Mcguire. Something about him I find a bit grating. Oh, and kidcasting is not my cup of tea either. Too distracting from the whole purpose of the broadcast, the actual game.

However, I did recognize that Strader and Pang were quality.
I'm with you...in the scheme of things, announcers are the least of our problems. Matt is fine, Nash gets annoying but is OK, but I do put Walsh in the Pierre category.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really dislike Doc Emrick's PBP.

McConnell sounds like baseball PBP reject. He drives me crazy with the " 'll " issue he has.

-"Raanta'll grab the puck behind the net and he'll fire it and it'll clear the zone and Chychrun'll grab it at center ice and he'll pass it up to Domi who'll lose control and it'll dribble into the offensive zone where the Ducks defender'll grab it and pass it over to his partner who'll turn it over to Strome who'll fire and net and the goalie'll stop it and the ref'll blow it dead."

It's maddening. He's awful. His personality sucks. He's a sycophantic mouth breathing weirdo and he gives me the creeps. Ditch him.

Heeter is great. I've always loved Heeter.

Reactions: MisterPurple

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'm with you...in the scheme of things, announcers are the least of our problems. Matt is fine, Nash gets annoying but is OK, but I do put Walsh in the Pierre category.

I think part of Walsh's problem is that every segment he does it feels like he's trying to make it the most dramatic possible thing. Or he dictates the direction of an interview too much. If he toned it down and saved that dramatic stuff for the speeches on the ice for actual moments calling for it I think it would be better.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think McConnell is a little below average, but not awful. Nash could be a good fit for Walsh's job, but he's not a good very good color guy IMO. I like Heeter and biz. I'd like Heeter and Biz with Nash between the bench and doing the interviews and whatever the hell else Walsh does. I'd prefer the option to just have rink audio over anything else though

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think part of Walsh's problem is that every segment he does it feels like he's trying to make it the most dramatic possible thing. Or he dictates the direction of an interview too much. If he toned it down and saved that dramatic stuff for the speeches on the ice for actual moments calling for it I think it would be better.

The best simile to describe Walsh is that he's like an insufferable theater actor who endlessly claps his hands together and bows in thanks. He's forever searching for his Regional Emmy for dramatic storytelling, so he crafts this fantastically overwrought narrative in his head and expects his interview subjects to play along.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Nash relies on cliches way too much. "I bet Raanta's going to want that one back" and "Coach Tocchet's not going to like that one."

Reactions: MisterPurple

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nash relies on cliches way too much. "I bet Raanta's going to want that one back" and "Coach Tocchet's not going to like that one."
Every announcer or color man has their cliches. I think I have heard the two you just mentioned by every announcer, more than once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->