Rene Robert

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Believe it or not this guy averaged right at a point a game for his entire career. Was always a favourite of mine playing on the French Connection Line. My favourite memory is the "fog goal" in the '75 Cup finals, the only time I've ever seen Bernie Parent look really bad. Hard to believe he was cut from the '76 Canada Cup squad, that was some sickening team.

The thing I cant remember is as to why he got traded from the Sabres to the (gulp) Colorado Rockies. Does anyone remember why they broke up that line. Maybe it had something to do with Scotty Bowman, I dont know.

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
That was an incredible line and had to be one of the fastest to ever play the game. Perreault was my fav on that line but Robert and Martin helped make it what it was at that time, a 'well oiled machine in constant motion' and fun to watch, for sure. Not sure why Renee was delt to Colorado but I'm sure we'll get an answer soon? :dunno:

Last edited:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I think Bowman traded him, right? Imlach left and they brought in Bowman and he began proving that as a GM he was a helluva coach.

Imlach I believe was the GM/Coach still when the Leafs signed him (he was eligible for the 1968 draft I believe) and then he picked him up at the Intra-League draft a couple of years later.

I remember a goal he scored against Kenny Dryden in the playoffs where the puck hit the mesh between the crossbar and the back of the net and popped right out. It was an incredible play maybe 1974 or 1975 and I have never seen it since but I remember it because it took about three minutes for the refs to make the call.

*This is all from memory so some of the facts may be askew.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I heard he pissed off Sabres management somehow and got traded to the Rockies as punishment, which qualifies as cruel and unusual.

Creator

Aug 24, 2006
I believe he is still working with Molson's as a Territory Brand Rep-in the Niagara Region, or he was a couple of years ago. Great guy off the ice too, came into the bar with Eddie Shack and closed the place-bought everybody multiple beers. Fun night with hot chicks wearing Eddie's Hat and showing thier ____.:bow:

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Robert was traded partly because he didn't get along with management.

He was the first president of the NHL Alumni but his contract was not renewed. His next and maybe present job is with Canada Post. You can see him sitting with players who are signing autographs at memorabilia shows. Its quite a comedown from running the entire NHL Alumni group.

I believe he is still working with Molson's as a Territory Brand Rep-in the Niagara Region, or he was a couple of years ago. Great guy off the ice too, came into the bar with Eddie Shack and closed the place-bought everybody multiple beers. Fun night with hot chicks wearing Eddie's Hat and showing thier ____.:bow:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
THN had a article on Robert back in the 90s and he still sounded extremely bitter at Bowman for trading him away.

Don Cherry absolutely loved Robert when he played for him in Colorado. He mentioned years later how heartbreaking it was to see Robert get cut from Team Canada, but who would you take off in place of him?

I`m not a Sabres expert, just a fan. But there are some Sabres experts on this board. I remember one of them mentioning that a Sabres star was traded years ago due to some personal off-ice problems with a linemate.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Imlach I believe was the GM/Coach still when the Leafs signed him (he was eligible for the 1968 draft I believe) and then he picked him up at the Intra-League draft a couple of years later.

He was picked up by the Penguins and the Sabres traded Eddie Shack for him. What a snoz on that guy! (Shack, not Robert).

Sabre's trainer, Frank Christie was a big fan of Robert's. Robert would get his skates sharpened once a year at the beginning of the season, and that was it.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I heard he pissed off Sabres management somehow and got traded to the Rockies as punishment, which qualifies as cruel and unusual.

Bowman was never a big Robert fan, but the main reason he was traded was because his career was in decline. Robert was 31 at the time and played the last 2-3 previous seasons with chronic injuries. In those days players didn't play much beyond age 30. Colorado offered John Van Boxmeer, who Bowman loved from his days Montreal. Putting sentimentality aside, Buffalo won that trade big time.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bowman was never a big Robert fan, but the main reason he was traded was because his career was in decline. Robert was 31 at the time and played the last 2-3 previous seasons with chronic injuries. In those days players didn't play much beyond age 30. Colorado offered John Van Boxmeer, who Bowman loved from his days Montreal. Putting sentimentality aside, Buffalo won that trade big time.

The only man who ever lost a trade to the Rockies was Ballard.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Don Cherry was behind that trade on Colorado's end. He was gushing like a school girl when the Rockies made the deal. Cherry was as much a fan of Robert as Bowman was of Van Boxmeer.

Yeah i love Cherry like a bigot uncle, but he's made some questionable moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad