Rene Fasel should resign!

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
After the Nash incident, the president of IIHF, Rene Fasel commented that Nash hooking the ref was unintentional. That's an outrage. How can someone go public with such a false statement, on a case where everyone can see that it was totally intentional?

If the IIHF wants to keep some sort of credibility after this, they should let Fasel go. Europeans are not used to outrageous lies like that, at least not in public. This goes to show how horribly corrupted "one hand washes the other" organisation the IIHF is these days. They are feeding us this stupid lie, and expecting us to just swallow that, like we were Bush voters or something.

I urge everyone to write to your local hockey covering TV stations and other media to keep pushing on this matter. If nobody raises a finger, this corruption will never stop, it will only get worse. People need to be aware of what goes on behind the curtains. Only that way we will maybe get an organisation that gives every country an equal treatment in the eyes of IIHF. There is absolutely no question about what would have happened if a player from say Belarus would have hooked a ref and pushed a linesman. That player would have been kicked out in a heartbeat. Players and teams deserve to be treated by the same standards.

:madfire:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
And while you're writing letters to IIHF, make sure to point out that the reffing is (once again) beyond horrific, ask IIHF to hire NHL refs to this tourney, atleast they have their reputations at stake.

tsunami

Feb 28, 2002
Bienne - Switzerland
Visit site
Pepper said:
And while you're writing letters to IIHF, make sure to point out that the reffing is (once again) beyond horrific, ask IIHF to hire NHL refs to this tourney, atleast they have their reputations at stake.

Totally agree, the reffing has been very :eek:

About the Nash incident, not sure what to think - If it was that bad the referee(s) would surely issue a report and try to have him suspended , no :dunno: ?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
tsunami said:
Totally agree, the reffing has been very :eek:

About the Nash incident, not sure what to think - If it was that bad the referee(s) would surely issue a report and try to have him suspended , no :dunno: ?

Refs are human also, and make mistakes. I guess in this case the ref was afraid to punish the almighty Canada, and did not react to a blatant offense. Why don't you make your own mind and check the clip. Refs should be untouchable, theres no way around that.

http://www.tsn.ca/audio_video/player/index.asp?reel=21879

tsunami

Feb 28, 2002
Bienne - Switzerland
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
Refs are human also, and make mistakes. I guess in this case the ref was afraid to punish the almighty Canada, and did not react to a blatant offense. Why don't you make your own mind and check the clip. Refs should be untouchable, theres no way around that.

http://www.tsn.ca/audio_video/player/index.asp?reel=21879

Thanks for the clip mate, as I had not seen the scene yet - Unfortunately the quality is not that good and makes it difficult to really see exactly what happened... I agree with you though that refs should be untouchable and since most of you guys think he sould have been suspended, I will take your word for it

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
tsunami said:
Thanks for the clip mate, as I had not seen the scene yet - Unfortunately the quality is not that good and makes it difficult to really see exactly what happened... I agree with you though that refs should be untouchable and since most of you guys think he sould have been suspended, I will take your word for it

Yeah I wondered about the crappy quality as well, how did they manage to get it so jerky? I have seen it twice on TV and there is absolutely no question...it was intentional, and he certainly acted against the rules. Weird that the interview parts on that TSN clip dont jump and jerk like the game footage.... :dunno:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Nasher should have got atleast a 1 game suspension. I've known Nasher since grade. 6 but what he did was stupid. totally uncalled for, I'm sure he regrets it, but watching him play hockey throughout his career he's never done anything like that. It was a suprise for me when I heard about it.

Captain Leaf

I agree ..ime surprised you didnt start your letter writing campaign after the Jagr incident ..that was totally classless i cant belive a european would do something like that .Wheres the fairplay ..i thought only north americans did things like that ..dispicable ..i think Jagr should of been banned from every international tourney after that debacle .Damn you Fasel!!!!
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Captain Leaf said:
I agree ..ime surprised you didnt start your letter writing campaign after the Jagr incident ..that was totally classless i cant belive a european would do something like that .Wheres the fairplay ..i thought only north americans did things like that ..dispicable ..i think Jagr should of been banned from every international tourney after that debacle .Damn you Fasel!!!!
I think both of them should have been suspended but this isn't just what the players did. This is also about the refs who should have reacted to that and the ref observer, or what the heck he is called in english, who should have also reported it in if the ref fails to react. He should have also reported that the ref failed to react actions like that. This is something needs to be corrected, no matter what nationality they are. If the player is a canadian, a czech, a swedish or a finnish. Same rules should apply to everyone who are part of the game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I can't see how they can say the hook was unintentional...i mean he reached out and then you can actually see him tug. if they mean the contract with the linesman, yeah i can see that as being unintentional, looked like he kind of turned and the guy was there and he bounced off of him, exaggerating it more than normal and probably didn't try to avoid it like he would if he wasn't pissed, but the hook was clearly intentional

just pretty damn stupid by the IIHF, i think they're more concerned with trying to pimp this tourney

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Captain Leaf said:

You are totally missing the whole point and trying to make some sort of nationality issue out of this. I already commented the Jagr incident in the Nash and the Ref thread, so if you have any doubt about my motives go check that out.

This is not about those evil swedes trying to get rid of Nash, or european vs. north american mentality. This is simply about one incident where a player broke one of the most important rules of the game.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Im not defending nash's actions, but one has to think that if the IIHF did not action anything...what exactly did the ref do to cause such a reaction out of nash.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
SectionX said:
Pictures mean absolutely nothing! You have to see a video to make any judgement what-so-ever. I agree that Nash probably should have been handed a 1 game suspension, but for God's sake Sweden, drop it already!!!!! Makes you guys look ike real pu$$y's. Sweden basically is saying that they are scared to play Canada again by going on, and on, and on, and on about this. If Canada and Sweden play for a medal I bet the Swedes bring it up again and try to get him suspended for an incedent that happened, what, 5 games ago?!?!?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
psycho_dad said:
After the Nash incident, the president of IIHF, Rene Fasel commented that Nash hooking the ref was unintentional. That's an outrage. How can someone go public with such a false statement, on a case where everyone can see that it was totally intentional?

If the IIHF wants to keep some sort of credibility after this, they should let Fasel go. Europeans are not used to outrageous lies like that, at least not in public. This goes to show how horribly corrupted "one hand washes the other" organisation the IIHF is these days. They are feeding us this stupid lie, and expecting us to just swallow that, like we were Bush voters or something.

I urge everyone to write to your local hockey covering TV stations and other media to keep pushing on this matter. If nobody raises a finger, this corruption will never stop, it will only get worse. People need to be aware of what goes on behind the curtains. Only that way we will maybe get an organisation that gives every country an equal treatment in the eyes of IIHF. There is absolutely no question about what would have happened if a player from say Belarus would have hooked a ref and pushed a linesman. That player would have been kicked out in a heartbeat. Players and teams deserve to be treated by the same standards.

I agree, the entire IIHF is looking like a huge joke right now..only thing to save them is by having there president resign..what a complete joke he is to say it was by accident. :shakehead It really does make you think what type of politics were used to get the IIHF to look at this as it was nothing.

SChan*

ryz said:
Pictures mean absolutely nothing! You have to see a video to make any judgement what-so-ever. I agree that Nash probably should have been handed a 1 game suspension, but for God's sake Sweden, drop it already!!!!!

what? we have dropped it already. A swede DIDN'T make this thread you know. btw I have seen the TSN video also.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
ryz said:
Pictures mean absolutely nothing! You have to see a video to make any judgement what-so-ever. I agree that Nash probably should have been handed a 1 game suspension, but for God's sake Sweden, drop it already!!!!! Makes you guys look ike real pu$$y's. Sweden basically is saying that they are scared to play Canada again by going on, and on, and on, and on about this. If Canada and Sweden play for a medal I bet the Swedes bring it up again and try to get him suspended for an incedent that happened, what, 5 games ago?!?!?

Is this thread about getting a suspension for Nash, or about IIHF looking ridiculous? Of course Nash won't get suspended anymore, but that is not the point I am trying to make here. The IIHF made a joke out of itself, lost all their credibility, and at least to me this is one awful example how the world championships might not be about who is the best on the ice, but on the cabinets. IIHF is the one to blame, not Rick Nash who just got away with something.

Stop simplifying this matter and trying to make it something idiotic like "swedes hate canadians" or "people are afraif of Nash's point production" when this has absolutely nothing to do with Nash or his country. I could not give a flying **** about whether Rick Nash scored 3 goals a game or no points in his whole career...if he hooks the referee and pushes the linesman, he should get a suspension and a fine. But he is not the problem...the people that let this atrocity slide are the problem, and I want them to answer for it.

I am not swedish, so stop blaming them too. Every hockey loving person understands that this is a problem...then there are few homers who are chuckling "haw haw we got away with it" and think everyone is just pressing on this matter "because they fear Nash" or whatever crap you come up with. People who don't understand that refs are untouchable are either mentally challenged, or very very new to the game. Some people try to simplify real problems when they can't understand any "higher" motives than hate or fear.

Read between the lines..hell...try to read the lines first!

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
psycho_dad said:

You need to let things go.. you are going to have a stroke. He didn't get suspended and there is nothing you can do about it... well except whine about it. Consensus among pretty much everyone is that he should have got one game maximum, but the ref (the one that was so brutally attacked) and the IIHF decided that their best interests was to let the leading goal scorer in the tournament play. It should be no surprise that the IIHF would like to have players like Nash and those of his talent level in the tournament and not sitting and watching it.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Canuck21t said:
You're kidding right?

No he's not, swedes & finns come from countries where corruption is virtually non-existant and blatant politics like that are not tolerated very well.

In central & southern europe things like that are much more common, if the head of finnish hockey federation did something as blatant as Fasel he would have been asked to step down in 2 days.

BCCHL inactive

Pepper said:

They IIHF does not hire officials, their member nations train and qualify them, and the best get the better assignments. There's that, and all NHL officials might not have IIHF certification. Also, their membership with the NHLOA might not allow them to work other hockey. The only reason NHL officials worked the last 2 Olympic Games' is because the NHL made a deal with the IIHF that any game where 50% of the game's players were NHL players, said game must be officiated by NHL officials.

shakes said:
You need to let things go.. you are going to have a stroke. He didn't get suspended and there is nothing you can do about it... well except whine about it. Consensus among pretty much everyone is that he should have got one game maximum, but the ref (the one that was so brutally attacked) and the IIHF decided that their best interests was to let the leading goal scorer in the tournament play. It should be no surprise that the IIHF would like to have players like Nash and those of his talent level in the tournament and not sitting and watching it.

Don't you see anything wrong with that?

As for the "brutally attacked" comment, it does not matter how violent the intentional contact was. Nash hooked a referee AND hit a linesman. Bottom line.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Van said:
They IIHF does not hire officials, their member nations train and qualify them, and the best get the better assignments.

Finland sent Henriksson.

Player voting for best referee in SM-Liiga:
1. Jari Levonen: 1086 pts, 202 first spots
2. Markku Kruus: 383 pts, 16 first spots
3. Hannu Henriksson: 182 pts, 13 first spots
4. Timo Favorin: 131 pts, 5 first spots

Quite apparent, that Levonen is the best. For some reason we always send Henriksson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad