Jacques Plante

Vs.​

image.php

Coach: Mike Keenan
Captain : Mike Grant
Assistants: Larry Robinson
Carol Vadnais

Woody Dumart --- Norm Ullman --- Bobby Bauer
Steve Shutt --- Frank Boucher --- Ken Hodge Sr.
Bruce Stuart --- Cooney Weiland --- Harry Hyland
Ross Lonsberry --- Bernie Nicholls --- Tomas Sandstrom
Alf Skinner
Justin Williams

Mike Grant ( C) --- Larry Robinson ( A )
Vladimir Konstantinov --- Carol Vadnais ( A )
Goldie Prodgers --- Albert Leduc
Jay Bouwmeester

Ken Dryden
Al Rollins

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I don't have the chance to stay in front of the computer for a few hours everyday debating, but I'll try to give my thoughts on this one. I'll try to come on this board every day or two and reply back to any questions:

First line: The Quebec Aces owns one of the worst first line of this draft. Reuniting 2/3rds of the Kraut lines, but replacing is most vital part by Norm Ullman, a good low-end number one centre, but two-notch below the very good Milt Schmidt. The Giants owns the best goalscorer of the 6 by far in in Joe Malone. Peter Stastny is not too far behind Ullman (although I'd take Ullman everyday of the week), while Ace Bailey is for me a more well-rounded player than Bauer, that will bring about the same offensively, but just much more in all other situation.

Edge Belfast Giants, the last time the Giants should have an edge on the first line!

Second line: Frank Boucher is a fantastic second line centre (obviously) and the best player of the 3. Ken Hodge and Steve Shutt are low end 2nd line, but goalscorer for Frank Boucher. The Giants have Anatoli Firsov, elite at his role on the second line, Joe Primeau who's pretty good at his role, and Claude Provost, a decent goalscorer for a second liner that brings so much to the table.

Boucher > Firsov
Shutt < Primeau
Hodge < Provost

It's close, but I don't mind giving a small edge to the Aces, because of Frank Boucher and the line is very well constructed.

Bottom-6: Cooney Weiland is a decent defensive centre with an impressive one-year peak. Hyland is a great offensive weapon on a third line, while Bruce Stuart is very polyvalent. It's a very good line. I think the Belfast Giants owns also a pretty good third line: Esa Tikkanen is a fantastic pest who elevates his play in the playoffs. Goyette and Peirson are two-third of a very dangerous offensive duo for a third line. Both team built offensive fourth lines. The Giants use them as special team players and good replacement in case of injuries. I'd call the bottom-6 a draw

1st pairing: Larry Robinson holds a small edge on Pierre Pilote. Two number one, two-way defenceman in this draft. Although I hold a lot of respect for older era players, I think Mike Grant is out of place on a first pairing, and a player like Joe Malone will definitely take advantage of that. Sylvio Mantha, steady defenceman, holds a ddcent edge over Mike Grant, and although not a high-end number defenceman, I would be much more confident with Mantha on the ice over Grant.

Advantage: Belfast Giants

2nd pairing: Babe Pratt is an high-end number 3 offensive defenceman defenceman, and a better defenceman than Vladimir Konstantinov, who his two-years peak and tragic story overrates him. He do own a mean set of skills though. Vadnais and Davydov brings different things on the table, but they are mainly equal in my book.

Advantage: small edge to Giants

3rd pairing: Nothing to write home about those third pairing. Efficient, but won't blow you away. The Liapkin-Russell duo have more chance to open up the play offensively, while Prodgers-Leduc will be better defensively. Draw

Goaltenders: Everyone knows Ken Dryden. Everyone knows Jacques Plante. I don't think it's worth it going at large on that matchup. Advantage Belfast Giants

Special team: I would love to talk about them, but there's none posted for the Quebec Aces!

Coach: Ken Hitchcock have been much more constant in his time in the NHL as an elite defensive coach. I would take him over Mike Keenan for sure, who may clash with a few of his players.

Good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad