Remote Desktop not working on Win 10 1803

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
First off - **** Microsoft. Updating Windows breaks Remote Desktop.

Second, the rant - can be skipped if you're not interested. Microsoft without warning on this build removed Homegroups. Not a big deal, I had already moved away from Homegroups for my networking - but for the sake of interest, I followed Microsoft's info on how to network without Homegroups - which led to the options of using OneDrive, Email, or - Homegroups. Really Microsoft? Really?

So - what I have tried so far:

Opening gpedit.msc on my Windows 10 and setting
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Credentials Delegation
Setting name: Encryption Oracle Remediation
Setting: Active with "Vulnerable"

and

Powershell as admin
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\CredSSP\Parameters" /f /v AllowEncryptionOracle /t REG_DWORD /d 2

I assume that option two is doing the same thing as option one. Either way, neither option worked.

Going without Remote Desktop is a huge pain in the ass... anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? @SniperHF @Led Zappa ??

I might not be around much on Friday or Saturday to try and fix it, but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Edit: To clarify, Remote Desktop is unable to find the other computer.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I have found a partial fix. I ran services.msc, and edited both Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication so that they start automatically with a delay instead of manually, and started both services on both computers. Remote Desktop still doesn't want to find the computer in question on its own - but I can now at least find the other computer through network discovery, right click it, and start Remote Desktop that way. So a fix isn't urgent, but any ideas would still be appreciated.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Did you try disabling the RemoteFX graphics option? I know that has caused many problems.

I've also had issues with the remote machine not having the same level of security patches as your machine. Are they both updated?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Did you try disabling the RemoteFX graphics option? I know that has caused many problems.

I've also had issues with the remote machine not having the same level of security patches as your machine. Are they both updated?
No I didn't, and yes they are both updated - but the problem is resolved - I was just too tired at that point to update here, and went to bed. It seems what I did in my last post resolved it - only, a single reboot on each machine wasn't enough - after a second reboot each, Remote Desktop is working fine. Thanks for trying to help though!

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Glad it's working for you @Kestrel. Very strange. I haven't had that issue. Do you have the Home or Pro edition? Home edition never supported RDP AFAIK and my Pro machines that I've upgraded so far at work have no problem. I did hear my boss complain about the latest update on his home PC, but that is home edition. He said it took 10+hrs to update lol.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Glad it's working for you @Kestrel. Very strange. I haven't had that issue. Do you have the Home or Pro edition? Home edition never supported RDP AFAIK and my Pro machines that I've upgraded so far at work have no problem. I did hear my boss complain about the latest update on his home PC, but that is home edition. He said it took 10+hrs to update lol.
Both computers are running on Pro. It seems a lot of people have had RDP break with that update, although in two different flavours. There's some sort of error that I don't recall that others are getting - and the rest of us have RDP fail to find the other computer. I'm glad I could resolve it - it would be a huge pain to start physically going back and forth between both computers, assuming I couldn't make a third party solution work (apparently a number of those who had RDP fail also could not get third party solutions to work).

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Both computers are running on Pro. It seems a lot of people have had RDP break with that update, although in two different flavours. There's some sort of error that I don't recall that others are getting - and the rest of us have RDP fail to find the other computer. I'm glad I could resolve it - it would be a huge pain to start physically going back and forth between both computers, assuming I couldn't make a third party solution work (apparently a number of those who had RDP fail also could not get third party solutions to work).

It may be because our computers are joined to a Domain.

Reactions: Kestrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->