Ottawa
Quebec
Halifax
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Regina
Calgary
Vancouver

Just think of the rivalries that could be created by these 10 teams and the fans would just be going nuts. Plus Hockey Day in Canada would be crazy.
Toronto vs. Ottawa
Montreal vs. Quebec
Winnipeg vs. Halifax
Edmonton vs. Calgary
Regina vs. Vancouver

this is far fetched but hey anything can happen eh
Go CANADA Go!!!

Very very far fetched......keep dreaming, sorry to say.

I think the 6 Canadian teams we currently have is enough, given the financial realities of today's NHL.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
hockey_nut said:
as it currently stands... there are only two options for NHL markets in Canada (aside from the current 6 nhl cities), and they are Quebec City and Winnipeg

Hamilton cannot support 2 pro hockey teams, Regina and Halifax are too small.

Winnipeg wants a team, badly... and Quebec would love the chance to get one, too. Not sure who has the edge, as the Peg can get ugly (as far as being cold)... but nothing's gonna happen for a few years, at least.
(frankly, i wouldn't be surprised to see either TB or FLA be the first to move)

Hamilton/Niagara/St. Catherines area has more people within an hour drive of a rink in Hamilton than any city in Canada besides Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Actually they probably have more than Vancouver too if you include the area to the far West and far South in Metro Toronto.

Hamilton could support a team easier than either Quebec or Winnipeg. I'd rather see teams in Quebec or Winnipeg but Hamilton is a far bigger market.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Regina might be able to support an AHL team. If the cap dropped to around 9 million then they might be able to support an NHL team.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Leaf Lander said:
because leafs are canadas team and halifax team would blow as much as ottawa getting a team

i loved quebec they never got on tv :yo:

Prove it!
Leafs are southern Ontario team thats it bud!
More Hab and Bruins fans in Atlantic Canada, and with 3 Western NHL teams they are not Western Canada's team either.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
Not Regina due to a small rink, Regina will be lucky to keep their CHL team.
Saskatoon would be the choice if the AHL are looking to expand to Saskatchewan.
Of course you are right. Credit Union Centre (formerly Saskplace) in Toontown is better choice then Regina for an AHL team. With 11k seats abvailable for hockey it certainly has the capacity. My only complaint is the atmosphere, kind of tomblike, eeriely quiet. Maybe Blades fans forgot how to cheer.
Move the Moose to Saskatoon and give the Peg their Jets back (for a couple of years anyway...)

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It was very loud in their when I went to a playoff games back in '93, but it was also full. When the Memorial Cup was played in their it was nuts also. The old barn in Saskatoon was crazy noisy. These new buildings build their seats too far away from the ice.

Nova_Scotia_Vees

Jun 1, 2004
I live in Halifax and i have the disgaree with post about Halifax being too small. The City itself yes but surrounding areas would support the team..Nova Scotia isn't very big so 3 hours from one end and the other end of the province to get to Halifax isn't a long drive for an NHL game. Not to montion it's only 3.5 hour drive from Moncton so i think Attendence wouldn't be a problem but to get the city to support a rink would be.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Kevin Forbes said:
No, professional hockey has failed here because the city doesn't support losing teams. Did you go to any Herd games two years ago?

No, because 2 yrs. ago my 3 yr-old was a 1-yr old. Ever had a 1-yr old? No time for moosehead games...

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Nova_Scotia_Vees said:
I live in Halifax and i have the disgaree with post about Halifax being too small. The City itself yes but surrounding areas would support the team..Nova Scotia isn't very big so 3 hours from one end and the other end of the province to get to Halifax isn't a long drive for an NHL game. Not to montion it's only 3.5 hour drive from Moncton so i think Attendence wouldn't be a problem but to get the city to support a rink would be.

I live here and have to tell you there is no way we could support a team. It's got nothing to do with population and everything to do with corp. dollars. There just isn't enough big money business to make a team work here now. If oil keeps going up and the offshore here has a few more finds, maybe in 10 years there'd be enough $$ here, but it would still be a stretch I think.

I work for a company that has 400 white collar employees and we got rid of our skybox a few years ago. No way we'd ever fork over for the cost of an NHL box. Just isn't enough business being done here to justify it.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
Not Regina due to a small rink, Regina will be lucky to keep their CHL team.
Saskatoon would be the choice if the AHL are looking to expand to Saskatchewan.

Whoaa, enough Regina bashing for you there buddy?

I live in both Regina and Saskatoon, so I think I can safely say you know nothing about this province.

Your reasons why Saskatoon is better suited for a team are assinine.

Yes the population of Saskatoon is bigger, but the majority of this provinces people live in SOUTHERN Saskatchewan, you know....near Regina? Yorkton, Moose Jaw, Weyburn, Swift Current, Estevan are all within a close proximity to Regina. So while Saskatoon has an extra 20,000 people they lack in surrounding communities besides PA. I would think that putting the team where the population resides would be the smartest thing to do, no? If this province ever had a hope of having a team it would need the support of the province, not just Saskatoon.

Great, Saskatoon has the largest rink in the province, with 11,000 seats. I'm sure that would sell well to the NHL. You can't simply say, "we can just add another 8000 seats in there." You don't know that, I'm not even sure if that's possible. It doesn't matter how small the Brandt Center in Regina is, because clearly a new rink would have to be bult wherever the team was.

As for your third comment, well that was just flat out stupid. Please tell me how the Riders are better off in Saskatoon? Near capacity crowds aren't good enough for you? Again, the population lives in the South, not the North....not a hard concept. Again you are wrong, the population of Regina is growing, in 2001 it was near 180,000 now in 2005 it's 199,000. Expansion is booming in the city, and considering I split my time between both cities, I can say that I don't see the same thing in Saskatoon. I'm not sure what the NDP government has to with anything. The business sector of this province is located in Regina, the government jobs are again, in Regina. Where are you getting your information from exactly?

The Pats aren't moving, again that was another stupid comment.

I love the inferority complex Saskatoon has when it comes to Regina. Saskatoon hates Regina, and Regina just doesn't really care.

As for the guy who said that Saskatchewan doesn't deserve a team? I think that the province/state that produces the most NHL players per capita in the world, deserves a team.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
Kinbote said:
Some of you people need to stop doing crack. Halifax and Regina neither deserve or could support an NHL team.

who deemed you as someone who should say that a city does or does not deserve an nhl team. How in the world did you figure out that halifax and regina dont deserve nhl teams. no one knows how they would fare because they have never had one.

and crack is fun :yo:

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
JKP said:
No, because 2 yrs. ago my 3 yr-old was a 1-yr old. Ever had a 1-yr old? No time for moosehead games...

fair enough, I've never had a 1-year old, I do have a spider plant in my office, so that's pretty much comparable, right?
The city supported the AHL teams when they were good and didn't when they weren't. Attendence goes down at the Mooseheads games during poor seasons (like 2 seasons ago). Despite the announced numbers, there was a huge visible difference between that season and the year after it. I don't disagree that Herd fans are devoted and great fans (I like to count myself as one of them), but I simply don't think there's enough of those devoted fans to stick through thick and thin.
The shiny newness would wear off in the first few years and then if the team isn't competitive, the numbers will drop. It's the same as any losing situation (St. Louis, Anaheim and Washington are prime examples of teams having a hard time filling the arena this year), but given the fact that the population to draw from isn't huge to begin with, a streak of 3 or 4 losing seasons would kill any Halifax NHL team, if it ever got that far.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Kevin Forbes said:
fair enough, I've never had a 1-year old, I do have a spider plant in my office, so that's pretty much comparable, right?
The city supported the AHL teams when they were good and didn't when they weren't. Attendence goes down at the Mooseheads games during poor seasons (like 2 seasons ago). Despite the announced numbers, there was a huge visible difference between that season and the year after it. I don't disagree that Herd fans are devoted and great fans (I like to count myself as one of them), but I simply don't think there's enough of those devoted fans to stick through thick and thin.
The shiny newness would wear off in the first few years and then if the team isn't competitive, the numbers will drop. It's the same as any losing situation (St. Louis, Anaheim and Washington are prime examples of teams having a hard time filling the arena this year), but given the fact that the population to draw from isn't huge to begin with, a streak of 3 or 4 losing seasons would kill any Halifax NHL team, if it ever got that far.

Kevin, I'm thirty five and don't ever remember the AHL drawing anything that could be remotely considered a good crowd, even for playoff games when the Vees were decent.. I think the difference with the moose is the fantastic job of marketing to the family audience. Tht jerk with the trumpet at the Citadels games couldn't get the three year olds to dance if his life depended on it. Even in the Mooseheads early years they were drawing good crowds and making a real evening of entertainment.. The difference between the Moose and the three NHL organizations that failed in Halifax is that the Moose recognized the fan and dollar value of four year olds and twelve year old teenage girls. The junior game is a great fit for Halifax- the players are young (easy for the 12 year old girls to i.d. with.. ;) ) and there is less player movement than the AHL offered.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Kevin Forbes said:

Hey, I'm not saying a team would work today, so we in essence agree. I'm saying the Mooseheads draw better than the old AHL because they market better, that's why the AHL failed here. The mooseheads are a great example of strong ownership with good marketing skills (hmm... a beer company knowing a little something about marketing...)

And your spider plant requires a bit more water than a 1-yr old. ;)

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
JKP said:
I live here and have to tell you there is no way we could support a team. It's got nothing to do with population and everything to do with corp. dollars. There just isn't enough big money business to make a team work here now. If oil keeps going up and the offshore here has a few more finds, maybe in 10 years there'd be enough $$ here, but it would still be a stretch I think.

I work for a company that has 400 white collar employees and we got rid of our skybox a few years ago. No way we'd ever fork over for the cost of an NHL box. Just isn't enough business being done here to justify it.

So no sooner do I say we don't have enough of a corporate community than RIM announces a $230M investment here in Halifax to hire up to 1200 IT workers. We do attract a company like this a year, and we'll be able to support an NHL team in maybe 8 years.

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
CCF said:
Whoaa, enough Regina bashing for you there buddy?

I live in both Regina and Saskatoon, so I think I can safely say you know nothing about this province.

Your reasons why Saskatoon is better suited for a team are assinine.

Yes the population of Saskatoon is bigger, but the majority of this provinces people live in SOUTHERN Saskatchewan, you know....near Regina? Yorkton, Moose Jaw, Weyburn, Swift Current, Estevan are all within a close proximity to Regina. So while Saskatoon has an extra 20,000 people they lack in surrounding communities besides PA. I would think that putting the team where the population resides would be the smartest thing to do, no? If this province ever had a hope of having a team it would need the support of the province, not just Saskatoon.

Great, Saskatoon has the largest rink in the province, with 11,000 seats. I'm sure that would sell well to the NHL. You can't simply say, "we can just add another 8000 seats in there." You don't know that, I'm not even sure if that's possible. It doesn't matter how small the Brandt Center in Regina is, because clearly a new rink would have to be bult wherever the team was.

As for your third comment, well that was just flat out stupid. Please tell me how the Riders are better off in Saskatoon? Near capacity crowds aren't good enough for you? Again, the population lives in the South, not the North....not a hard concept. Again you are wrong, the population of Regina is growing, in 2001 it was near 180,000 now in 2005 it's 199,000. Expansion is booming in the city, and considering I split my time between both cities, I can say that I don't see the same thing in Saskatoon. I'm not sure what the NDP government has to with anything. The business sector of this province is located in Regina, the government jobs are again, in Regina. Where are you getting your information from exactly?

The Pats aren't moving, again that was another stupid comment.

I love the inferority complex Saskatoon has when it comes to Regina. Saskatoon hates Regina, and Regina just doesn't really care.

As for the guy who said that Saskatchewan doesn't deserve a team? I think that the province/state that produces the most NHL players per capita in the world, deserves a team.

Okay Expert, here are a few facts:
I lived for 25 years living in Saskatoon the Jewel of Saskatchewan. The best part of Saskatchewan.
Saskatoon Economy is booming as we speak. Potash Industry
Saskatoon is known as "Hub City". Why is that? Its located in the frickin center of Saskatchewan, not Regina.
Saskatoon almost got a NHL franchise in 1983 with 18,500 season tickets spoken for. Your probably too young to remeber that.
Saskatoon is 70 minutes away from PA, a city that is the 3rd largest in the province.
Saskatoon is 70 minutes away from The Battlefords and 2.5 hours away from Regina, Yorkton, and Moose Jaw. So Geographically speaking is the perfect place to have host a team.
Credit Union Centre has 11,500 seats and was designed for to accomdate 16500 seats if necessary. Regina has been jealous of SASKATOON ever since they built that rink in 1988. We have hosted 10 times the sporting and rock events due to the size of the venue.
Saskatoon may of been jealous of Regina pre:1980, but since then they have left Regina in the dust my friend. Same thing is happening here in Alberta where Calgary is becoming the main centre in this province. There is only 1 place in Saskatchewan that is booming and that place is Toon Town
Go Huskies and another National Championship.
Go Blades!!

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Jyroe Habs Fan said:
Okay Expert, here are a few facts:
I lived for 25 years living in Saskatoon the Jewel of Saskatchewan. The best part of Saskatchewan.
Saskatoon Economy is booming as we speak. Potash Industry
Saskatoon is known as "Hub City". Why is that? Its located in the frickin center of Saskatchewan, not Regina.
Saskatoon almost got a NHL franchise in 1983 with 18,500 season tickets spoken for. Your probably too young to remeber that.
Saskatoon is 70 minutes away from PA, a city that is the 3rd largest in the province.
Saskatoon is 70 minutes away from The Battlefords and 2.5 hours away from Regina, Yorkton, and Moose Jaw. So Geographically speaking is the perfect place to have host a team.
Credit Union Centre has 11,500 seats and was designed for to accomdate 16500 seats if necessary. Regina has been jealous of SASKATOON ever since they built that rink in 1988. We have hosted 10 times the sporting and rock events due to the size of the venue.
Saskatoon may of been jealous of Regina pre:1980, but since then they have left Regina in the dust my friend. Same thing is happening here in Alberta where Calgary is becoming the main centre in this province. There is only 1 place in Saskatchewan that is booming and that place is Toon Town
Go Huskies and another National Championship.
Go Blades!!

The Jewel of Saskatchewan??? There's that complex again, it's kind of sad actually. Twenty five years, eh...and you are where now? Right...NOT in Saskatchewan.

PA is larger than Moose Jaw by about 2000 people. Following that we have Yorkton at 15,000, Swift Current at 14,000, both Estevan and Weyburn have 10,000. All closer to Regina.

Again, not a hard concept to follow, 16,500 isn't enough seats. That would be the smallest rink in the NHL, you have got to be joking if you seriously consider that an NHL capable rink.

And Saskatoon will always have this jealousy of Regina, because we are the capital. Saskatoon can have all the "rock" shows it wants, the Saskitonians are an odd bunch to say the least. I fail to see which "prestige" sporting events it has hosted in comparison to Regina. Enlighten me, please.

Again, I assure you that Regina is not jealous of Saskatoon. It's a one sided rivalry like Vancouver vs Victoria, Calgary vs Edmonton, Toronto vs Hamilton, Toronto vs Ottawa, Montreal vs Quebec City....we simply do not care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad