Redraft 2006 top 6

Rich09

Oct 22, 2004
Hi guys! I would like to know who who has the best potential in the 2006 top 6.Who should have the best carreer (statisticly)

1- Eric Johnson
2- Nicklas Backstrom
3- Phil Kessel
4- Jordan Staal
5- Derick Brassard
5- Jonathan Toews

Bruinster*

If you talk about Potential and statisticly.

1)Kessel
2)Backtrom
3)Brassard
4)Toews
5)Johnson
6)Stall

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm one who still feels that the Pens made a mistake in taking Staal over Kessel (who'd be an awesome, awesome fit on the team). I'd also take Kessel over Toews having seen both a million times.

But I'm not really sure on Backstrom... Haven't seen enough. What I've read, he seems to be a S-T-U-D.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hi guys! I would like to know who who has the best potential in the 2006 top 6.Who should have the best carreer (statisticly)

1- Eric Johnson
2- Nicklas Backstrom
3- Phil Kessel
4- Jordan Staal
5- Derick Brassard
5- Jonathan Toews

1. EJ
2. Backstrom/Kessel
3. Backstrom/Kessel
4. Toews
5. Staal
6. Mueller

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON

1- Eric Johnson
2- Nicklas Backstrom
3- Phil Kessel
4- Jordan Staal
5- Derick Brassard
5- Jonathan Toews

Looks good to me. Kessel's drop to Boston was kind of freaky :eek: but that seems to happen most every year... :dunno:

Bruinster*

Just a reminder, the question is "Who should have the best carreer (statisticly)" ?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

1- Eric Johnson
2- Nicklas Backstrom
3- Phil Kessel
4- Jordan Staal
5- Derick Brassard
5- Jonathan Toews

If you're only talking about stats, the this is my top 6....

1- Backstrom (because of Ovy)
2- Toews (because of Havlat)
3- Kessel (The only reason Kessel drops down to 3rd, is because I don't think he'll get 1st line minutes right away like Backstrom and Toews)
4- Eric Johnson (it's hard to compare offence with defence, but E.J. is a beast and can't go lower then this !!!!)
5- Jordan Stall (Crosby, Malkin..... I don't have to add more)
6- Michael Frolik (I think people were not patient with this kid and hopefully he'll prove them wrong.)

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
If we're talking about point totals:

1) Backstrom (Ovechkin)
2) Kessel
3) Staal (Either Malkin, Crosby or Staal will have to move to wing)
4) Toews
5) Brassard (ES or PP time with Brule, Nash, Zherdev:eek: )
6) E. Johnson

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I'm one who still feels that the Pens made a mistake in taking Staal over Kessel (who'd be an awesome, awesome fit on the team). I'd also take Kessel over Toews having seen both a million times.

But I'm not really sure on Backstrom... Haven't seen enough. What I've read, he seems to be a S-T-U-D.

i think it was a huge mistake also, why would they draft a center when they have the 2 best prospect for center position? Crosby and Kessel playing together.... man they'd both be challenging Gretsky's rercords one day

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was one of the biggest proponents of taking Kessel second on the boards. He seemed the most natural fit as a wing to me among the top five. That said, it is awfully early to make calls like this thread. Let them get a year, half a year, even a game in the minors/college under their belts before we declare winners and losers. Rememeber that a number of teams were reputed to be offering some big packages to move up and it is notable that every single one was for Staal. Jack Johnson was more than just a rumor as a Pen and only fell through when the price plus was too high, another very highly thought of prospect. Staal is the youngest prospect in the draft by far, just missing the cutoff date for the next draft. He is projected by many as potentially the most talented of the Staal brothers by a number of scouts based on his raw physical attributes and what he does now at this age. Many said if he had been in next years draft he would have been hands down the favorite going in as the number one pick. What I am saying is that although I thought Kessel was the best fit for the Pens, there was a reason that every one wanted Staal at number two. No one was trying to move to two for Kessel or Backstrom.

Some video analysis of Staal is on the Pens' site, fifth down:

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/m...ype=video&cat_id=27&cat_name=Off-Ice Features

NYYmt62

Aug 26, 2005
Islander Country
By statistically, I am assuming you are basically trying to rate the draft in terms of points over the course of a career. Which changes the question dramatically.

1. Staal - Playing with Crosby will wear off on a guy
2. Kessel - Natural goal-scorer
3. Backstrom - Playing with Ovechkin will wear off on a guy
4. Frolik - Have a real good feeling about him for some reason
5. Toews - Nice pick on a good young team
6. Johnson - Great talent, should rack up enough assists to make the list.

Dark Horse: Okposo - Did not like the pick at first, but see that the kid has a nice skill set and is incredibly strong for someone of his age. Will develop into nice power center, but not a big goal scorer.

Catamo

Jul 5, 2006
British Columbia
Im gonna mix things up a bit

1- Phil Kessel
2- Eric Johnson
3- Jordan Staal
4- Nicklas Backstrom
5- Michael Grabner
6- Michael Frolik/Derick Brassard

Ad

Upcoming events