28)Tambellini
29)Eaves
30)Belle

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Enoch said:
I like this list, except I would place Michalek in front of Coburn.

Michalek is hard to rank I find. He had serious question marks about his upside before the draft. He did make the NHL, but tore his ACL big time. So...he didn't prove anything....and had a major knee injury. I wasn't high on the guy before, so I dropped him.

As for Coburn, I still like him a lot more than others. He's a big, very big defenceman. He reminds me of Chris Phillips, and I know how long it took Phillips to come around. But for whatever reason, I still think Coburn is a top 10 prospect. The tools are there, he just needs to mature physically and mentally, and that should come.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Draft Guru said:
Why is Jessiman dropping into the late 20's and out of the first round?

The kid's 6'5 with soft hands and excellent speed. Gimme a break if you think if the draft was done again he wouldn't go first round or around the same spot he did.
Oh I dunno....maybe because his production dropped off rather significantly in the same amount of games as he played last season (and a 14 point drop IS a LARGE sum).
Call me crazy, but that certainly sends up the red flags with me.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
stardog said:
Oh I dunno....maybe because his production dropped off rather significantly in the same amount of games as he played last season (and a 14 point drop IS a LARGE sum).

And also, it was widely rumored he wasn't very high on many teams boards. He is another one of those Red Line hyped guys (like Kastitsyn). I believe Jessiman wasn't even ranked in the Top 15 for NA prospects by the CSB, but I could be wrong.

Also, failing to make the WJC team as a 19 year old didn't help his stock.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
my 03 draft

1 Fleury
2 Zherdev
3 Phaneuf
4 Stall
5 Coburn
6 Vanek
7 Horton
8 Fehr
9 Suter
10 Stewart
11 Carter
12 Richards
13 Michalek
14 Kastitsyn
15 Stuart

Judging by your username, I'm guessing you're a WHL fan, thanks for the Fehr-love. It took long enough for someone to actually move Fehr up in the order. The guy scored 50 goals in his 3rd full WHL season, what else does he have to do?

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
CapsFan@Vassar said:
Judging by your username, I'm guessing you're a WHL fan, thanks for the Fehr-love. It took long enough for someone to actually move Fehr up in the order. The guy scored 50 goals in his 3rd full WHL season, what else does he have to do?

Got that right huuuuggggeee WHL fan. Fehr and Phaneuf are my favs.Actually live in Brandon and saw fehr play all season long. Kid is going to be incredible amazing touch and moves around the net.
First guy to score 50 goals as an 18yo in the whl in a few years....only thing i could see is him moving up the draft list and was shocked to see like no one move him from his spot last year.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Hossa said:
Make the world junior team?

totally got screwed out of a world junior team spot. totally deserved to be there even though he was going thru a slump just before the camp. still time being he barely made the draft cutoff last year and is very young compared to most picks.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
No room for Bergeron in the top 5? He's younger than anyone in the top 10, so I assume you're all in the "Patrice Bergeron has reached his potential" school of thought. Good luck to any of them having as good a year NEXT year as Patrice did THIS year. (yeah, I know Zherdev very well could but he's 9 months older or something like that)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Crosbyfan said:
No room for Bergeron in the top 5? He's younger than anyone in the top 10, so I assume you're all in the "Patrice Bergeron has reached his potential" school of thought. Good luck to any of them having as good a year NEXT year as Patrice did THIS year. (yeah, I know Zherdev very well could but he's 9 months older or something like that)
Fotunately, drafted players that make it to the NHL tend to play more than one season. So it doesn't really matter if any of them have as good a season next year as Bergeron did this year.

Bergeron will be a very good player, but there's no way I'd take him in the top 5.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
Nice, I would have put him in top 15 if I saw the complete stats.

Maybe if you were less about stats & more about the ability of becoming good NHLers you would be able to put a better top 30.

Corey Locke unless he proves a lot of people wrong, will probably end up as a career AHLer or a great swiss league player à la Oleg Petrov. Even that said, he doesn't have the speed Petrov had.

He doesn't have the size nor speed. Sure he tore the OHL & win the MVP award but that's doesn't make him a top 30.

Simon Gamache 9th round - Best Q producer in his draft year or a year later
Justin Mapletoft

& list could go on & on.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
montreal said:
He scored 25 goals in 27 games in the 1st league.

He helped his team win the Belarus Championship

He helped the U-20 team win their champhionship and return to the WJC's next year

He helped the Belarus National team win their champhionship and return to the WC's next year.

But that's just some silly facts, he only had 1 point in the RSL playing on the 4th line, so I guess the season was a waste. ;)
I'd have to say that none of that stuff is anything to write home about. Fact is, most people would have said on draft day that a "successful" season for Kastitsyn this year would mean him solidifying a spot in the RSL, if not being one of CSKA's top performers, and nothing less.

Most people are basing their opinions on statistics, but let's face it, Kastitsyin is an offensive player and he will ALWAYS be measured by the numbers he puts up, not by the numbers he COULD put up.

It doesn't really matter what he's doing in the Upper league, Rus2, Vishlayga, U20B tournaments, or whatever. These aren't the stomping grounds for NHL-caliber prospects.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Seachd said:
Fotunately, drafted players that make it to the NHL tend to play more than one season. So it doesn't really matter if any of them have as good a season next year as Bergeron did this year.

Bergeron will be a very good player, but there's no way I'd take him in the top 5.

Most seem to agree with you. I just don't get it. He's NHL now, World Champion now, and YOUNGER. Also no where close to these other guys a year ago so most improved.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Gainey and the Habs management were talking with Andrei Kostsitsyn in the summer of 2003 until mid august about signing a contract and coming to NA but he declined. It's not because he isn't good enough that he didn't play in the Nhl in 2003-2004..he just wanted to stay a year more in Europe. That said, if Zherdev didn't have his late season production when he came over , he wouldn't make a lot of your top 5. Since they are prospects, you don't just rate them on stats, you should also rate them on potentiel. Kostsitsyn and Zherdev were linemates at one point this past season.

Mobos1228

Mar 21, 2004
Caps Land
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Got that right huuuuggggeee WHL fan. Fehr and Phaneuf are my favs.Actually live in Brandon and saw fehr play all season long. Kid is going to be incredible amazing touch and moves around the net.
First guy to score 50 goals as an 18yo in the whl in a few years....only thing i could see is him moving up the draft list and was shocked to see like no one move him from his spot last year.

(As a Caps fan) That's good to hear about Fehr--thanks for the info! :)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Komisarek8 said:
Gainey and the Habs management were talking with Andrei Kostsitsyn in the summer of 2003 until mid august about signing a contract and coming to NA but he declined. It's not because he isn't good enough that he didn't play in the Nhl in 2003-2004..he just wanted to stay a year more in Europe. That said, if Zherdev didn't have his late season production when he came over , he wouldn't make a lot of your top 5. Since they are prospects, you don't just rate them on stats, you should also rate them on potentiel. Kostsitsyn and Zherdev were linemates at one point this past season.
So playing with Zherdev gives him potential.....Potential is a word thrown around far too much. There is a difference between top end potential and likelihood of reaching top end potential. Khomutov has top end potential of 1st line center in the NHL, he has all the skills and size. The likelihood he will reach that potential is little to none. Kastitsyn is the same thing. He was a risky choice and shouldn't have went that high IMO.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
So playing with Zherdev gives him potential.....Potential is a word thrown around far too much. There is a difference between top end potential and likelihood of reaching top end potential. Khomutov has top end potential of 1st line center in the NHL, he has all the skills and size. The likelihood he will reach that potential is little to none. Kastitsyn is the same thing. He was a risky choice and shouldn't have went that high IMO.

Even as a Habs fan, I tend to think that there's an awful lot of lusty descriptions of Kastitsyn's enormous potential. He was a risky pick. It might pay off, and it might just as well be a write-off. I really have no idea where he should have been picked, and no one else will until he actually plays in NA.

One thing that everyone seems to agree upon is that Phaneuf should have been drafted higher. Consensus seems to be top 5. I would put him top 3. Slick forwards are nice, but real solid defencemen are just too precious.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Komisarek8 said:
Again, you are avoiding the most glaring and obvious question being asked of you.
If he had the ability to play in the NHL this past season (and simply chose NOT to do so) why on earth didn't he spend the entire season in the RSL??? Which is a lesser league than the NHL????????
Can you answer that with any facts?
The answer is quite simple really. It is because that isnt the case.
You are overstating his current talent level.

And the point about Zherdev is completley moot as well. Simply because he DID, in fact play very well in the NHL this year.
To say "if he didnt" do such and such is irrelevant, because he DID do the things that were mentioned.
And he did them quite well.
Stick to facts and not blatant fandom suppositions. Or you may as well just say "If Kos' was Mario Lemiuex then he would have been drafted first overall".

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
stardog said:

Apparently you are going by stats and you didn't watch him.

The opposition was all over him. He's Dartmouth's best player, so obviously the other team's main focus is going to be shutting him down. He had trouble adjusting at first but picked it up during the second half of the season.

He has more potential than half the guys people are ranking ahead of him. It's all about upside, not who had a better year.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am curious as to why a lot of people are leaving Pouliot off their lists? Is it becuase he had injuries this year? He put up some good number considering those injuries..

Pouliot, Marc-Antoine Rim 42 25 33 58

58 points in 42 games isn't bad at all. I still think he is a pretty good player.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
Maybe if you were less about stats & more about the ability of becoming good NHLers you would be able to put a better top 30.

Corey Locke unless he proves a lot of people wrong, will probably end up as a career AHLer or a great swiss league player à la Oleg Petrov. Even that said, he doesn't have the speed Petrov had.

He doesn't have the size nor speed. Sure he tore the OHL & win the MVP award but that's doesn't make him a top 30.

Simon Gamache 9th round - Best Q producer in his draft year or a year later
Justin Mapletoft

& list could go on & on.

Isn't MIKE RIBEIRO the best comparable for Locke?

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Kafka said:
Isn't MIKE RIBEIRO the best comparable for Locke?

Could be too.

The point was more that winning a scoring title in the junior doesn't make you instantly a future good NHLer. There was a reason why he was picked in 4th round & even the Habs director of scouting admit that he took a chance he feel he had to regarding Corey Locke.

Yes it could turn into an homerun but there a line between sure NHLer top 1st round of his year draft class & ''might'' get a shot as a top 6 forward NHLer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Herby said:
Maybe I'm a homer, but how does Brown fall after playing in the NHL and winning a bronze medal at the Senior WC?

I guess lighting up junior (Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Perry etc) is more of an accomplishment than playing in the NHL?
Well Brown didn't exactly do a whole lot in the NHL, which is probably why ihe wsnt ranked as high.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seachd said:
I'm surprised how many people are leaving Pouliot off their lists, especially since he's better than a good number of the players on some of them.
Agreed, im also shocked at the number of people who have Tambellini ranked so high, he had an absolutly horrendous season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->