redo 2008 draft

Punxrocknyc19*

anyone else upset that the Rangers picked Del Zotto over Eberle during their draft year... I know the Rangers needed an offensive dman prospects but when you draft you draft for best player available, not for need at the moment...they could have used another skilled forward... Eberle is an awesome player...

Kershaw

John Carlson.

Edit: And no I'm not upset at all. We hit a homerun with the DZ draft pick.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Tough to complain about the DZ pick. When it happened I was more than content, though I would have taken Ennis or Carlson (at the time).

EDIT - Let's just say that in comparison to my feelings about other years the Rangers hit a home run.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
yeah, i'd much sooner have a redo of several other drafts in the last decade. MDZ is just fine.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Sure lots of teams would have liked to take Eberle but it's kind of silly to go back through every draft and say "hey are you mad the team wasn't clairvoyant and picked this guy who turned out really great instead of the player they drafted???"

Eberle also isn't quite as good as his stats last year indicated, Hall is the real talent on that team, but Hall is also unfortunately injury prone at this point

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A little more miffed about losing Kundratek for nothing, Weise for nothing, and for Grachev not panning out. I'd rank all of those things over the DZ pick for things i'm bothered by.

Weise would look good as the #4 RW in our lineup for cheap.

Punxrocknyc19*

A little more miffed about losing Kundratek for nothing, Weise for nothing, and for Grachev not panning out. I'd rank all of those things over the DZ pick for things i'm bothered by.

Weise would look good as the #4 RW in our lineup for cheap.

why would the Rangers want Voros JR on the team. no need for a punching bag. Haley will be on the 4th line when the year starts. i doubt he signed here to play in the AHL. he could have stayed on the Islanders if he wanted the best chance to stay in the NHL

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The 2008 draft was one of the Rangers' best in a long time. Del Zotto at 20, Stepan at 51. We got a top for defenseman, and a top 6 center. Grachev was a bust, and we should have gotten more for Kundratek.

As for Eberle, yeah, he's a stud. But maybe he wasn't the BPA at the time. His stock really rose after the WJC's.

But if we're going to cry over drafts, we can start at 2003 and go from there. But that dead horse has been beaten a countless amount of times.

Dec 13, 2010
I wanted Carlson over Del Zotto at the time and would still prefer him, but you can't complain. Del Zotto has a good role on the team and has played very well for most of his time in New York.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I was very pro Carlson at the time, but I didn't complain at all about Del Zotto. Ottawa did a hell of a job getting Karlsson at 15. Wow.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I was a huge Carlson fan prior to the draft and was disappointed we passed on him.

I warmed up to the MDZ pick, and both him and Carlson have turned out to be good players. Can't complain

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm never upset over picks that turn out to be good players, even if guys behind him turn out to be better players. Plus, it's not like Del Zotto was a reach. Drafting is hard. All you can hope for is a good player. Hoping for a better player than the guys behind him is a total crapshoot.

Now when a guy completely sucks and someone behind him turns out better, and the pick was a reach to begin with, that's when I get upset. Like Mr. Jessiman for example.

Kershaw

The Carlson Vs. DZ idea will be much more interesting in 2 season's time.

There really is no debate. Carlson is heads and shoulders above DZ and should continue to be in the future. He was scary good his rookie year as a shutdown defender. Took a step back, but was still matching up against top lines night in night out. Once DZ gains Tortorella's trust in that role, we can start comparing the two.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It was a huge mistake. These are the picks I would have made:

20 1 Jordan Eberle
51 2 Derek Stepan
75 3 Adam Henrique
90 3 Braden Holtby
111 4 Andrei Loktionov
141 5 Matt Martin
171 6 Anders Lindback

Hindsight is a powerful tool.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Del Zotto is a fine player and a great pick for the back of the first round. No need for a redo.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It was a huge mistake. These are the picks I would have made:

20 1 Jordan Eberle
51 2 Derek Stepan
75 3 Adam Henrique
90 3 Braden Holtby
111 4 Andrei Loktionov
141 5 Matt Martin
171 6 Anders Lindback

Hindsight is a powerful tool.

I would have taken Nyquist over Loktionov. :p:

In reality, that was one of the best drafts this team has had in a long time. Their asset management after the fact was questionable, but whenever you get a top-4 D and a #2 center with late position in each round, you have to be happy with it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There really is no debate. Carlson is heads and shoulders above DZ and should continue to be in the future. He was scary good his rookie year as a shutdown defender. Took a step back, but was still matching up against top lines night in night out. Once DZ gains Tortorella's trust in that role, we can start comparing the two.

:facepalm:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Carlson was matching up against top lines because there is no other option. His competition on RD was Dennis Wideman and Mike Green. Del Zotto's competition is McDonagh and Staal.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Carlson was matching up against top lines because there is no other option. His competition on RD was Dennis Wideman and Mike Green. Del Zotto's competition is McDonagh and Staal.

This.

The love for John Carlson is becoming ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->