Redline's final top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
forgive me if this has been posted already, and I suspect it has, but:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp;jsessionid=JMPOGJNDFBKD?content=20050729_160146_4560

Sportsnet has the final Redline top 10, and I'll say one thing for it: they don't mind taking risks.

1) Crosby
2) Brule
3) Pouliot
4) Skille
5) Johnson
6) Kopitar
7) Latendresse
8) Ryan
9) Lavasseur
10) Price

Wow. They really don't like Johnson for him to fall from near-consensus #2 to #5. Everyone's enamoured with Skille so I can see a jump up, but ahead of Kopitar? And Latendresse ahead of Ryan? But easily the biggest shocker for me is J-P Lavasseur. I know he's good and all, but since when did he bypass Pavelec, Rask, AND Price?

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
Montreal won't get Johnson unless they trade up.

I would think that Minny would take JJ if he's available since he's from that area and would be a fan favourite.

A Good Flying Bird*

Funny, isn't it?

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

The CSS has Latendresse ranked as a third round pick basically. Everyone else has him going in the top 15.

A Good Flying Bird*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Talk about overrating Skille. No way will he go in the top 5..if he does I will be SHOCKED.

Have you seen Jack Skille?
Just wondering. Because I remember earlier in the year everyone was telling me I was wrong about Skille being fairly easily better than Ryan Stoa.
Of course, I've seen Skille and Stoa and Johnson play 25-30 games.
That said, I've never seen Bobby Ryan or Anze Kopitar.

But I can tell you that I've seen Skille play NHL draft picks in the NCAA who are often three or more years older than Skille. And Skille was usually a force.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Newsguyone said:
Have you seen Jack Skille?
Just wondering. Because I remember earlier in the year everyone was telling me I was wrong about Skille being fairly easily better than Ryan Stoa.
Of course, I've seen Skille and Stoa and Johnson play 25-30 games.
That said, I've never seen Bobby Ryan or Anze Kopitar.

But I can tell you that I've seen Skille play NHL draft picks in the NCAA who are often three or more years older than Skille. And Skille was usually a force.

Besides, this list isn't Woodlief's mock draft, merely a list of who he feels are the top ten talents. Does Skille deserve to be where he's at? Maybe not quite that high, but make no mistake, he will be a top ten selection, with a possibility of going as high as 7 (the Hawks).

A Good Flying Bird*

The Nemesis said:
forgive me if this has been posted already, and I suspect it has, but:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp;jsessionid=JMPOGJNDFBKD?content=20050729_160146_4560

Sportsnet has the final Redline top 10, and I'll say one thing for it: they don't mind taking risks.

1) Crosby
2) Brule
3) Pouliot
4) Skille
5) Johnson
6) Kopitar
7) Latendresse
8) Ryan
9) Lavasseur
10) Price

Wow. They really don't like Johnson for him to fall from near-consensus #2 to #5. Everyone's enamoured with Skille so I can see a jump up, but ahead of Kopitar? And Latendresse ahead of Ryan? But easily the biggest shocker for me is J-P Lavasseur. I know he's good and all, but since when did he bypass Pavelec, Rask, AND Price?

Here's a question I have about Jack Johnson.
On two separate occasions, he's told me straight out that he plans to win "4 NCAA championships" at U of M.
Both times, I said, unless the team that drafts you offers you a mint to play in the NHL.
And both times he replied that "Four College championships is goal"

Well, if so, then doesn't that mean he's a UFA when he leaves college?

Doesn't that lessen his value in the draft?

GnomE

Mar 17, 2005
the Canucks taking another goalie?!

doubt that big time... especially the way schneider's playin..

It is not a mock draft, it's just how Redline ranks them.

A Good Flying Bird*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Dreadful, dreadful list.

You wanna explain why? I'm just curious.

I think Red Line is spooked by Johnson not being on the WJC team. He wasn't as dominating in the second half as he was in the first half.

I do think that Latendresse is a bit high.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Newsguyone said:
Here's a question I have about Jack Johnson.
On two separate occasions, he's told me straight out that he plans to win "4 NCAA championships" at U of M.
Both times, I said, unless the team that drafts you offers you a mint to play in the NHL.
And both times he replied that "Four College championships is goal"

Well, if so, then doesn't that mean he's a UFA when he leaves college?

Doesn't that lessen his value in the draft?

I'm pretty sure the rules for NCAA draftees are still the same. Not postitve though.

A Good Flying Bird*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
They have Staal Rated in the mid 20's...and have about 5-6 defensman listed before him...

So the Staal rating is your beef?
I don't know. I was under the impression that Staal was overrated because the defensive corps in this year's draft was relatively weak.
Obviously, Johnson goes before Stall.
But lots of people have Bourdon and Kindle and even Parent ranked ahead of Staal.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
Very top heavy draft.... and by top heavy i mean like top 12 . Once you get past crosby its really up in the air

A Good Flying Bird*

parabola said:
Very top heavy draft.... and by top heavy i mean like top 12 . Once you get past crosby its really up in the air

Yeah, but isn't it kind of like that almost every year. One or two guys, and then the rest of them?

A Good Flying Bird*

Hmmm

Legionnaire said:
I'm pretty sure the rules for NCAA draftees are still the same. Not postitve though.

i thought I read something about changes to the NCAA system.

Here it is:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-07-24-question-answer-cba_x.htm

KevinAllen said:
Q: Any under-reported twists to the CBA?

A: Yes, if a drafted player stays in college until his class graduates, he becomes an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 15 of that year. This could make more players stay in college.

So If Johnson is serious about staying at Michigan for four years, he becomes a UFA.
Maybe he knew this was coming when I asked him ...
Johnson is a confident/brash kid.
He's the type of kid who'd stay in college so he could choose where he would play.

And make no mistake. Johnson and Crosby are very tight friends.
Have been for years.

I hear they've spent the last few days together in the Maritimes.

Letting this train of though run further of the tracks, I wonder if Johnson will spend all four years at school, and then sign with the Pens as a UFA.

A Good Flying Bird*

Legionnaire said:
They still have the normal time to sign them. Teams didn't have the rights indefinitely before. How does it change?

Didn't they have almost a full year after college?

Anyway, Johnson's comments make me wonder.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As Newsguyone pointed out, this is Woodleif's list, not a mock. And if there is something one can take from Ryan's lists over the years -- he likes to stir the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad