Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
markov` said:
Or Korpikorski.

I'm not sure what this means. I know that Redline had Korpikoski and Kostistastyn higher than most, but is there some evidence that he was wrong (or right)?

To me, the jury is still very out on whether his ratings of these players was justified or not. And certainly his rankings weren't that far off. Both players were selected within 10 spots of where Redline had them ranked - and Woodlief has said this is exactly what was going to happen.

The reality is several players are moving up the rankings, and Price is definitely one of them.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
George Bachul said:
But this one is looking good so far...(Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :D )

Maybe Korpikorski is looking good, but Redline had him at number 8 I think, and he was drafted #18.

George, in "Lightning it up", you asked, "Who the heck is Stanislav Lascek?". He's one hell of a player, that's all I can tell you. If you have the opportunity to see him play, don't miss it, I can't believe he went undrafted last year.

Reilly311

I'll feel bad for whatever team takes O'Mara in the top 10, unless it's a team I hate.

X-SHARKIE

Jay Thompson said:
Nice list. Carey Price deserves a high ranking, but I don't know if I'd put him that high just yet. Still, he's a hell of a package. I'll get to see him later on in the season and I'm looking forward to it.

The only question mark I had on this list: Ryan Parent at #10? I have him rated much lower than that. OHL fans - am I missing something here?

Agreed, Ryan Parent top 10?

It's great to see Ryan O'Marra at 7 :)

But why is Jack Johnson so low? and why is J.P. Levasseur still at 5?

Legionnaire said:
And that's what I'm talking about Doomsday. Every year Woodlief has players that he's in love with eg Brown and Kastitsyn

Yeah, but Brown and Kastsitsyn were players who seemed to be overlooked by other scouting services for most of the year before Redline "discovered" them and hyped them up to promote their ability to find unknown prospects. Unlike them, Price is fairly well known, and while not in the top ten is still quite high on most lists.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
I'll feel bad for whatever team takes O'Mara in the top 10, unless it's a team I hate.

How many times have you seen O'Mara? What is it that you do not like about him?

Lets see; good size, good skater, plays well in traffic, can shoot, pass, score....complete package...yup I'm sure the team that takes him will feel real sorry in getting a sure fire pro player.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
Throughout his minor hockey days in Toronto, Hesh (it's easier to call him that than try to spell his last name) was so much bigger than everyone else and more often than not played up a year against the 1986 birth year. The stories that were circulated, all just innuendo and rumour, is that Hesh is actually a lot older than an '87 birthdate. There were always stories that he had no birth certificate and his age was being fudged to give him a competitive advantage. To my knowledge, there's never been anything remotely close to proof of that and in my humble opinion it's a moot point and shame on anyone who would spread that rumour if they don't have proof. I'm sure Juan will have something to say about, if I'm not mistaken Juan is Hesh's agent.

Bob McKenzie
TSN

Bob - why on earth do you think I'm Heshmatpour's agent?? I know the family and my son played against him coming up in the GTHL. I've said that before. I've also done some scouting in the OHL. That's it.

Last edited:

Reilly311

VOB said:
How many times have you seen O'Mara? What is it that you do not like about him?

Lets see; good size, good skater, plays well in traffic, can shoot, pass, score....complete package...yup I'm sure the team that takes him will feel real sorry in getting a sure fire pro player.

Well, I had Otters season tickets last year...so..30 some games (i coudlnt go to all of them)

He's Tim Connolly part. 2. Could be an amazing OHL player, but will drop the ball in the NHL (if he ever gets there).

How many times have you seen him?

Last edited by a moderator:

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Juan said:
Bob - why on earth do you think I'm Heshmatpour's agent?? I know the family and my son played against him coming up in the GTHL. I've said that before. I've also done some scouting in the OHL. That's it.

Juan, I thought you were his agent because of your consistent and vigorous defence of Hesh at every turn, which has been required often because he seems to be the type of player who engenders a lot of criticisms or critiques. I wasn't disparaging you, only noting that whenever a defence of the kid is required, you have provided it and thought on the age issue you are liable to make a statement to counteract what was in Redline. Like I said, I don't have a problem with anyone critiquing a player's abilities, so if scouts want to question Hesh's mobility or hockey sense or whatever, fine, but I think raising the issue of his age, especially with a throwaway line that he might be 28, is a little off base. Each to their own, I guess.

Bob McKenzie
TSN

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
Juan, I thought you were his agent because of your consistent and vigorous defence of Hesh at every turn, which has been required often because he seems to be the type of player who engenders a lot of criticisms or critiques. I wasn't disparaging you, only noting that whenever a defence of the kid is required, you have provided it and thought on the age issue you are liable to make a statement to counteract what was in Redline. Like I said, I don't have a problem with anyone critiquing a player's abilities, so if scouts want to question Hesh's mobility or hockey sense or whatever, fine, but I think raising the issue of his age, especially with a throwaway line that he might be 28, is a little off base. Each to their own, I guess.

Bob McKenzie
TSN

I have defended Devereaux because I have been an acquaintance of the family for many years. They are very friendly (albeit "interesting") people, and the below-the-belt, obviously false "rumours" about him being older than he really is (which have persisted for years) are bad enough in a treehouse rag like Red Line, never mind a national publication like USA Today.

As an aside, regardless of whether I know the family or not, I think he has huge upside as a hockey player and has played very well this season in the games I have seen.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
Reilly311 said:

International Scouting Service said:
O’Marra has natural goal-scoring instincts and may possess the best shot in the draft

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Well, I had Otters season tickets last year...so..30 some games (i coudlnt go to all of them)

He's Tim Connolly part. 2. Could be an amazing OHL player, but will drop the ball in the NHL (if he ever gets there).

How many times have you seen him?

Not as much as you have (last year) but I strongly disagree with your assessment. He is a far different type of player than Connolly was. Again, what is it that you do not like about him?

Reilly311

VOB said:
Again, what is it that you do not like about him?

I dont hate him, I'm just not sure if he's a top 10 pick thats all. I'd take him in the 4th though.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Out to lunch on this one

Originally Posted by International Scouting Service :shakehead
O’Marra has natural goal-scoring instincts and may possess the best shot in the draft :shakehead

Try Brule, he has the best shot in the draft.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I've had a bit of time to digest the list. My thoughts:

Red Line has had a bit of a history for being a bit of a 'What Have You Done For Me Lately?' publication, which is fine. Picks like Radulov at #3 earlier this year may have raised some eyebrows, and Woodlief likes to make some shock value picks. Most of his lists, beyond that, are pretty good. However I have several issues with this one.

The first is the lack of Daniel Bertram. Now make no mistake, I'm not a huge Bertram fan. Snubbing the Vancouver Giants to play in the AJAHL & go on to the NCAA doesn't get into my good books being the greedy hockey fan from Vancouver Island that I am. But ignoring his huge scoring potential is a mistake, and guys like Ryan O'Marra do not deserve under any circumstances to be placed ahead of Bertram simply because he hasn't played much yet.

The second issue I have with the list is JP Levasseur. He had a great tournament at the U-17's, but a lot of guys have had good tournaments (Cogliano at the U-18's anyone?). I understand it's a slightly different situation with Cogliano rusting away in the OPJHL (or is he still there? Anyone have a clue?), but what exactly does Levasseur have over Price? And does anyone really think he belongs ahead of Jack Johnson? This kid needs to prove himself more to get this high of a ranking I'd say. I have him in the teens at the moment until he proves me wrong.

Other than that, I don't really have too many complaints. O'Marra raised my eyebrows and Parent I'm not sure on, but other than that & those two minor complaints, not a bad list.

leafaholix*

I wonder if Cogliano chooses not to declare himself eligible for 2005 and chooses to go to the NCAA and then enter the 2006 draft.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Some people are still banging Anikeenko's drum on this board (perhaps based on his fine play 1 and a half years ago at the World U17's. But he really has been very average since and, as a result, NO scouting service (that I know of) has him even in the top 15 at this early point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad