Redline Report (defensemen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Niskanen is really getting a lot of chinwag recently. I agree that he may suddenly appear in the top 15. I haven't seen him myself- but based on talk in the community...Finley could surprise too.

I think I'd take Vojta before Buravchikov from Europe despite Vojta's inconsistency.

By the way, if Niskanen is the likely N.A. surprise for this draft, Karpov and Mikus (not DF, I know but...) are the likely Euro surprises.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
For the life of me, I do not get what the hype is with Niskanen. I think any team that gambles on him earlier than the mid to late 2nd round is making a mistake. Sometimes I wonder if scouts are so ego driven that they want to feel like they found a diamond in the rough type to beat their chest over. Maybe Niskanen is their golden boy for that area this year. I know this much, Blake Wheeler has way better tools and much higher upside than Niskanen does and people were harping big time about Wheeler being chosen in the top 10.

Niskanen has good tools. But he isn't top 15 or 1st round material based on the times I watched him play last season. It is easy to look good when you play thinly talented opponents in Northern MN. :confused:

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
Sometimes I wonder if scouts are so ego driven that they want to feel like they found a diamond in the rough type to beat their chest over.

I've always thought that it's just as important for a scout to know when someone is NOT a player than to know when someone is. I know scouts make their names in the public by being the guy who "found" so-and-so, but it's also big to be able to tell your bosses "don't believe the hype on this guy. He isn't that promising."

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
A little perturbed to see Bourdon only at tenth; fifth-seventh would seem more likely. Seemed quite consistent the three or four times I saw him, and was alright in the U-18s. But then, I saw him only three or four times -- perhaps they were his "good" games.

To each his or her own, I suppose. We all can't see every minute they play.

turnbuckle*

Skille rated five spots ahead of Ryan...Kindl five spots ahead of Staal. Frankly mind boggling.

Only in Red Line Report.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Pepper said:
Brian Lee at top 10?? Uhhh...
Well he seems pretty likely to go in the first round... wouldn't that put him in the top 10 d-men?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
steblick said:
By the way, if Niskanen is the likely N.A. surprise for this draft, Karpov and Mikus (not DF, I know but...) are the likely Euro surprises.

Surprises as in first round? Shoot, I was hoping Mikus made it to one of the Rangers three second rounders.

Whats the consensus on Smolenak? It seems like he has it all but strength which comes in time.

As for the D, Staal so low definately stays true to the one dumbass assertion they make each time.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
steblick said:
Niskanen is really getting a lot of chinwag recently. I agree that he may suddenly appear in the top 15. I haven't seen him myself- but based on talk in the community...Finley could surprise too.

I think I'd take Vojta before Buravchikov from Europe despite Vojta's inconsistency.

To the credit of others, I think one or two people were hyping Niskanen as a potential 1st rounder back in May... who knows? :dunno:

I've noticed Mikus in almost all of your recent posts, it's spiked interest in me... do you think Lelkes has a good shot at the 1st round? How about Shirokov in the top 40?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Phil Laugher said:
A little perturbed to see Bourdon only at tenth; fifth-seventh would seem more likely. Seemed quite consistent the three or four times I saw him, and was alright in the U-18s. But then, I saw him only three or four times -- perhaps they were his "good" games.

To each his or her own, I suppose. We all can't see every minute they play.

You're right. But like HabLover said, the defense crop is deep, but quality is much thinner than in previous years. I'm not impressed with any of the Americans outside Johnson. Even Staal and Bourdon seem like they might develop into average NHLers... with that said, I know some teams operate under the philosophy "better safe than sorry." But that proverb seems to apply moreso to an O'Marra, and maybe future average players should only be taken in the 2nd round.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
steblick said:

I would be interested why you would take Vojta before Buravchikov.
Frankly I like Buravchikov more than Vojta. I admit Vojta will probably go before Buravchikov due to potencial troubles to get him to North America.

Some team can select Mikus very early but I still don´t believe he will be taken in first round.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Buravchikov over Belov looks strange for me. Belov is more mature, is better defenceman, is bigger. Belov had a good season in RSL. He was the youngest member of our D at WJC, was the second youngest player of the team after Malkin and he played good. He didn't dominate but he was just good.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Kaizer said:
Buravchikov over Belov looks strange for me. Belov is more mature, is better defenceman, is bigger. Belov had a good season in RSL. He was the youngest member of our D at WJC, was the second youngest player of the team after Malkin and he played good. He didn't dominate but he was just good.
He's also a year older, which is the main reason.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Seachd said:
He's also a year older, which is the main reason.
I know. But there is one interesting fact. CSKA is in RSL and Bykov (CSKA's head coach) provides enough ice time for Belov and he'll develop. Krylia is in 2nd tier league and 6 guys at D are ahead of Byravchikov (Ulyanov, Kanarskyi, Mamashev, Mohov, Bernatskyi, Petrov). They aren't old. The oldest of them Ulyanov is 27. Others are from 82 and 83 years of birth. Krylia wants to promote at RSL and I doubt that they will play with young player who was their 7th D last season. It can hurt Buravchikov's development.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
4 Americans in an uninspiring crop! Something to be proud of!

I guess, although IMO, anytime you're drafted in the first round of the NHL draft it's an accomplishment (except 1996). Thanks for the solid contribution!

turnbuckle*

I sat down with a couple of scouts for a few beverages the other night, and we talked quite a bit about the draft, among other subjects.

I can assure you that Kindl is not the third defenceman on their lists, nor any of their scouting friends. The odds of him being selected ahead of Staal, Bourdon or Parent are slim at best. I'm quite confident in projecting that all three will be selected before Kindl. I'd also hazard to guess that Lashoff will be picked ahead of his teammate.

I mentioned to the scouts that Red Line had Skille five positions ahead of Ryan on his forwards list. They just shook their heads. Ryan is a top four overall pick in their books. Apparently more than a few scouts were surprised by Skille's measurements at the scouting combine. Not nearly as tall as listed.

I also told them that Red Line had Latendresse rated ahead of Ryan, which elicited an even larger reponse of surprise. "He'll make a good second round pick" was the kindest comment I heard. His skating is a huge concern.

My top five defencemen:

JJ Top 3
Staal Top 7
Bourdon Top 10
Parent Top 12
Lashoff Top 18

After that I think there's a little drppoff. Scouts have reservations about picking Russian defencemen with high picks, other than Grebeshkov there just hasn't been much success in recent years with developing Russian blueliners. Thus I'd be surprised to see any picked in the first round. Laakso and Vojta were inconsistent, which raises concerns. European defencemen in general really have to impress these day thanks to the Andrei Zyuzins and Aki Bergs to be worthy of high first-round consideration, and there doesn't appear to be any stud European rearguards in this draft.

I can see Lee, Mikkelson and Laakso being taken in the late stages of the first round along with the "Fab Five". .

A couple of sleepers IMO could be Kudelka, Mihalik and Bork. I thought they all showed flashes at the under-18s, and might be good second round value.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
turnbuckle said:
I also told them that Red Line had Latendresse rated ahead of Ryan, which elicited an even larger reponse of surprise. "He'll make a good second round pick" was the kindest comment I heard. His skating is a huge concern.

Your words may not mean much to some ego driven people that won't believe you, but to think some basically shat on me because I said Latendresse couldn't match up with Ryan. Oh such good times we have.

Did you mean Christopher From Bjork? Or is there a new Bork that CSB didn't list in midterm?

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Is it just me or are staal and bourdon kinda far back? i mean id probably have it

Johnson
Bourdon
Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad