Red Wings vs Islanders

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
No one should be allowed to complain about this game. This is exactly what everyone wants isn't it? Exciting lossess? Kids that make mistakes? Goals, but not wins?

I don't know why there's a need to argue where the blame goes. We lost, awesome. It was a fun game, even better. Some kids got points, cherry on top. Move on to the next one, hope to lose that one as well.

Completely agree. I was entertained. Easily one of the most entertaining games this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
These sort of players:
-Glendening (3)
-Abdelkader (2)
-Daley (2)
-Ericsson (2)
-Jensen (2)
-Dekeyser (2)
-Helm (1)
-Nielsen (1)
-Larkin (1)

The young kids need to bear down according to Blashill.... What a disgusting takeaway from this group of vets ******* the bed.

I have defended Blashill a lot and yes I do still believe he has a future in this league. But my God this is one of those things he is going to have to evaluate before his next job. You can keep trying to throw younger players under the bus ala Babcock but when it doesn't make any sense at all don't say that. Yes Bert slashed a guy, but those vets that we were missing so bad on the pk got completely rattled and embarrassed themselves. This group listed above deserved heavy criticism and really only Larkin is the young guys when Blash speaks so for shame in his post-game for that crack.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The young kids need to bear down according to Blashill.... What a disgusting takeaway from this group of vets ******* the bed.

I have defended Blashill a lot and yes I do still believe he has a future in this league. But my God this is one of those things he is going to have to evaluate before his next job. You can keep trying to throw younger players under the bus ala Babcock but when it doesn't make any sense at all don't say that. Yes Bert slashed a guy, but those vets that we were missing so bad on the pk got completely rattled and embarrassed themselves. This group listed above deserved heavy criticism and really only Larkin is the young guys when Blash speaks so for shame in his post-game for that crack.

I don't even think Blashill means Larkin.

Last game, when he said young guys, he was talking about AA, Frk and Bertuzzi, who gave up 2 goals and had their icetime crushed.
Larkin played over 20 minutes.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Am I the only who feels like when Blashill goes home he uses a normal voice instead of the "hockey coach" impression he does in interviews?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I just watched the four PP goals. There was not great goaltending on any of them.

Goal 1 - Mrazek was set up expecting a straight shot and it got deflected. Not an awful goal, but when there are multiple Islanders in front of you and nothing between you and the shooter, you need to make yourself as big as possible. He was in a tight butterfly and it hurt him.

Goal 2 - The worst of the lot. He overaggressively challenged the shooter with a guy on his door step. Anders Lee got an easy one because Mrazek slid too far and couldn't control the rebound. Sliding across like that is alright if they don't have a guy on the edge of the crease to put home the easy rebound you're bound to give up.

Goal 3 - 100% screened. Never once saw it. That's on his teammates and good work by the Islander's forward. However, if the view is completely blocked like that... what's the chance that a puck gets through those two bodies? He left the upper corner open and Leddy took it.

Goal 4 - This was another Mrazek special. Slide aggressively too far and a cross ice pass kills you.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
seriously, giving up 4 goals on one 5min major is pure insanity lol, dunno if we'll ever see that again

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I just watched the four PP goals. There was not great goaltending on any of them.

Goal 1 - Mrazek was set up expecting a straight shot and it got deflected. Not an awful goal, but when there are multiple Islanders in front of you and nothing between you and the shooter, you need to make yourself as big as possible. He was in a tight butterfly and it hurt him.

Goal 2 - The worst of the lot. He overaggressively challenged the shooter with a guy on his door step. Anders Lee got an easy one because Mrazek slid too far and couldn't control the rebound. Sliding across like that is alright if they don't have a guy on the edge of the crease to put home the easy rebound you're bound to give up.

Goal 3 - 100% screened. Never once saw it. That's on his teammates and good work by the Islander's forward. However, if the view is completely blocked like that... what's the chance that a puck gets through those two bodies? He left the upper corner open and Leddy took it.

Goal 4 - This was another Mrazek special. Slide aggressively too far and a cross ice pass kills you.

Goal 2. was the worst. I'm not sure, but I think he thought he was going to suck that into his chest protector and Jensen slightly deflected it, so it hit his pad. But he was showing that "happy feet" Mrazek on this goal. It didn't help that the Red Wings were in complete scramble mode.

Goal 4? Yeah he was out too far, I guess. But the Red Wings totally blew their box
After goal 3, he was likely worried about coming out and cutting down the angle.
Then the Red Wings blew open their box and had an easy, uncontested one-timer,

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Ottawa is picking up steam. Hopefully we finish 3rd or 4th last.

One can dream.....

March is coming.
Trading Green will cost the team a little bit.
But the March schedule is brutal.

I'm predicting we finish in 30th place UNLESS the Rangers' coach buys into tanking.

Reactions: mjtm777

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
March is coming.

I'm predicting we finish in 30th place UNLESS the Rangers' coach buys into tanking.

I am in total agreement though Vancouver makes me wonder from time to time. That is the other team I could see being below us.

Either way I think at worst we are drafting no worse than 7th with our own pick. Ottawa's pick in the second could climb a little at this rate.

I think Florida is about to open up a gap on Montreal, Ottawa and us. They are going to move away pretty safely from us in my opinion. Really is amazing with their top 6 they haven't had a little better year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
March is coming.

Why did the PK unit continually allow the Isles to gain and then set up in our end?

That was the worst display of penalty killing I have ever seen. It was disgusting

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why did the PK unit continually allow the Isles to gain and then set up in our end?

That was the worst display of penalty killing I have ever seen. It was disgusting

Oh, no argument on that. It was abysmal penalty killing. Really bad.

However... there was nothing exceptionally deadly about those chances. That collapse was orchestrated by many cooks. I did not mean to 100% wag my finger at Mrazek... but a lot of his foibles were on display in that crap fest.

He continues to react and try to use his athleticism to get to pucks. To read and react plays. And as a goalie, you can't do that. It's kind of hard to explain, but again if you look at the second goal, you can kind of see him a little behind the play so he slides super hard to the right hand side and it takes him past the goal post. If there was nothing between him and the shooter, that's fine. He can make himself big and take up so much of the net. But the way he's doing that... no way he controls a rebound. And since he doesn't control the rebound and Anders Lee isn't accounted for in front of the net, it's a tap in. Same as the fourth goal. He aggressively charges the right side of the net and when the cross ice pass comes he's dead.

Mrazek is just so bad in positional play at random times of games.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
March is coming.

I see us finishing more around #29 don't see us being worse then either Arizona or Buffalo but who know's i would love for us to have the 2nd worst record in the league. Just one step closer to making Dahlin a reality.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
View from a coach: Four takeaways from crazy Red...

Most people would look at Tyler Bertuzzi’s major slash as the penalty that swung the game. But to me it was Justin Abdelkader’s second-period fight with Johnny Boychuk that shifted the entire momentum of the contest.

With only a few minutes left in the second period, the Islanders had nothing going. They had only 11 shots on net, including a measly three in the second period, and Detroit had the game firmly in its grasp. The Red Wings were playing a solid road contest – frustrating the Islanders with simple, boring, defensive hockey.

But as the road team, you never want to poke the bear.

And with just over one minute left in the second period, Abdelkader prompted a fight by slew-footing Boychuk in front of the net, getting the crowd and the Islanders' bench engaged into the game.

The Islanders were a different team coming out in the third, and that fight (in my opinion) had a lot to do with it. Take a look at the Islanders’ bench and listen to the announcers in the last clip of the video below. That fight woke them up, gave them something to play for, and I think it was a huge mistake by Abdelkader in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad