Red Wings that are playing in the WJC

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Looks like Canada's two defensive pairings look really lost today and guess what, Xavier Ouellet is not on those two pairs. Steady period with Reinhart again.

And man those United States defencemen are looking great, their are just a reincarnation of their head coach Housley. Just love to watch them.

Switching up Seth Jones' partner has made the US team much better. They are just killing it over the past 3 games.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well... Oullet is allowed a bad game, I think. Let's just hope he keeps it up in the Q. Everyone sucked, so it's hard to blame XO alone anyways.

That Canada squad has 11 first round picks and I think 3 more who will be first round picks. Ouellet has nothing to apologize for, he's been a rock for team Canada.

crashman

I had never heard of Trouba until the WJs started, obviously he's been pretty impressive so I Googled his name to find more about the kid. Come to find out, he was born in my home town!

I feel kinda stupid.

Great to see USA and Sweden in the gold medal game, my (and probably many other Wings fans) two favorite teams.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I had never heard of Trouba until the WJs started, obviously he's been pretty impressive so I Googled his name to find more about the kid. Come to find out, he was born in my home town!

I feel kinda stupid.

Great to see USA and Sweden in the gold medal game, my (and probably many other Wings fans) two favorite teams.

Agree awesome medal round, Sweden, Canada, Russia and the USA are all the hockey teams I think of when I think of the best hockey in the world. Finland is deserving too but I am so much more familiar with the other teams. We've already played Canada and Russia so it will be cool to get a new opponent in Sweden.

crashman

They have been by far the most entertaining teams to watch. Good final coming.

I like the Fins as well! ;) It's too bad they didn't go further this year.

The only national teams that I'm not really fond of are Canada and Russia, but if they're playing each other I'll root for Russia.

Canada is Canada (always favored) and I'm still holding a grudge after the Vancouver Olympics, and the Russian's seem to dive and play with a certain arrogance that I find a little annoying.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I never understood this line of thinking. Some of the best defenseman in the NHL are under 6'0. I don't get why people keep putting so much stock into player size.

There's nothing wrong with having some short/light players. But we got to start mixing in some bigger players.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Hopefully we'll see how Canada rebounds against Russia. If Ouellet can rebound, that will grant my forgiveness of the collective mess they were today.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Harrington got more minutes, got player of the game award, player of the tournament award (together with RNH and Schefiele). Got more praise etc. He also played at last years world junior tournament as an underaged player.

He was drafted 7 picks after Ouellet... Do you still think Ouellet will be the better player or should the wings have drafted Harrington instead?

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Harrington got more minutes, got player of the game award, player of the tournament award (together with RNH and Schefiele). Got more praise etc. He also played at last years world junior tournament as an underaged player.

He was drafted 7 picks after Ouellet... Do you still think Ouellet will be the better player or should the wings have drafted Harrington instead?
harrington has looked better in all the games i have seen, which is just a few. he also was good last year. probably canada's best defensive d-man both years.

ouellet was not as good as harrington, but he is also recovering from injury, and i have not seen nearly enough of him when healthy to make a proper comparison.

i doubt pittsburgh would trade harrington for ouellet, though. harrington seems to me a better NHLer. ouellet is good in most areas, but not great in anything, whereas harrington's D is very good and he is bigger.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Wings made a mistake drafting him then, pittsburgh scouts owned again :(

So Ouellet didn't have as good a span of 7 games as Harrington did, all the while playing on a sore ankle. Big whoop. I'm not upset by this pick as well. An unfortunate end for his great ride in the tournament indeed, but oh well. Such is life.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ouellet's play dropped as the tournament went on. Not that much to do with opponents getting tougher because he played US and Canada better the first time around.. though so did the whole team.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
i doubt pittsburgh would trade harrington for ouellet, though. harrington seems to me a better NHLer. ouellet is good in most areas, but not great in anything, whereas harrington's D is very good and he is bigger.
You're really selling Ouellet short here. Harrington has almost NO offensive upside. He has 10 points this year in 33 games. Ouellet has 25 in 26 games. Ouellet has nice offensive upside that you're ignoring. He's a very good passer, has a pretty solid shot, and makes very good decisions in the offensive zone.

Ouellet nearly had more points last year than Harrington has had in his entire junior career, including this year. In their junior careers, Ouellet doubles him up points-wise, has a better +/-, and has more PIM.

edit: They're also the same height: 6'1. Harrington has 10 lbs on him.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You're really selling Ouellet short here. Harrington has almost NO offensive upside. He has 10 points this year in 33 games. Ouellet has 25 in 26 games. Ouellet has nice offensive upside that you're ignoring. He's a very good passer, has a pretty solid shot, and makes very good decisions in the offensive zone.

Ouellet nearly had more points last year than Harrington has had in his entire junior career, including this year. In their junior careers, Ouellet doubles him up points-wise, has a better +/-, and has more PIM.

Also Ouellet will be paired with Sproul so he'll get plenty of assists setting up Sproul for his canon of a shot. That should be an awesome pairing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Harrington has that mean streak that Ouellet misses. Harrington plays very, very tough minutes on London and doesn't get that much pp time, if I'm not mistaken.

Aug 6, 2012
Harrington has that mean streak that Ouellet misses. Harrington plays very, very tough minutes on London and doesn't get that much pp time, if I'm not mistaken.

Ouellet has a decent mean streak to him, but I dont get why thata such a big deal. I don't see Harrington being anything more than a top 4 defensive defenseman

Anchor Town*

Ouellet is good at everything, bad at nothing. Harrington is great defensively, and bad offensively. So it depends on what you're looking for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->