Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
IIRC he was at the past 2 summer camps the Wings had. Nothing wrong with getting some depth & you never know with someone that big you may be able to develop a Hal Gill out of him. Now all we need is that Center, who's name escapes me right now, and we'll be set with out Russian contingent.

Fyodor Malykhin! I'll be pissed if we don't sign him, seems like we are his first choice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
would there be anyway to get out of that contract and come over or no? another question if he cant would he be able to come skate and train with the red wings in the summer/at camps?

Don't know the answer to any of that, but was pointing out he is under contract through 2014/15 according to his eliteprospects page. The camps are tough because the KHL starts their off-season really before us and conflicts with many of those dates.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
I have seen a couple of his games this year, he is an NHL player for sure in my opinion.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...hin-the-next-big-european-free-agent-signing/

If he has the out we should be interested, from Datsyuk's hometown.

thanks for the read.. seems like he would be a solid pickup imagine if he did come here our center depth would then be a beauuuty with D,Z,Sheahan,Helm,Weiss if he returns to form,jarnkrok,and then this kid,**** and andersson and glendening also abby but i count him and like him better on the wing

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
thanks for the read.. seems like he would be a solid pickup imagine if he did come here our center depth would then be a beauuuty with D,Z,Sheahan,Helm,Weiss if he returns to form,jarnkrok,and then this kid,**** and andersson and glendening also abby but i count him and like him better on the wing

We need some more quality with our quantity.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
And that's where we trade one/package one of our d prospects

i agree put a package together with jensen/oulett/sproul plus another forward prospect like ferraro/frk/pulkinen/ throw a pick and get someone we have talent to spare so kenny needs to grow a pair and send a nice looking package for something meaningful and helpful for us in return we have attractive looking pieces we can loose for the right return

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
How come people seem to be so low on Pulkkinen? What are the general expectations for him? Can't you see him as a 60-point player in the NHL eventually?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How come people seem to be so low on Pulkkinen? What are the general expectations for him? Can't you see him as a 60-point player in the NHL eventually?

I think Pulkkinen will be a solid pro, I just think it may happen on another team. I have a really hard time seeing Detroit willing to add another small 2nd/3rd line winger to the mix, despite the fact Pulkkinen probably has the requisite talent to play there.

Though his saving grace may be the fact that's he's RH with a big slapper. I mean if Babcock actually thinks Sammy and Eaves are viable options for the point, then Pulkks should have a shot just based on the way he holds his stick. You could put Pulkkinen on the Wings PP today and he'd do better than both (Sammy and Eaves) IMO.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think Pulkkinen will be a solid pro, I just think it may happen on another team. I have a really hard time seeing Detroit willing to add another small 2nd/3rd line winger to the mix, despite the fact Pulkkinen probably has the requisite talent to play there.

Though his saving grace may be the fact that's he's RH with a big slapper. I mean if Babcock actually thinks Sammy and Eaves are viable options for the point, then Pulkks should have a shot just based on the way he holds his stick. You could put Pulkkinen on the Wings PP today and he'd do better than both (Sammy and Eaves) IMO.
Pulkkinen was also one of the last cuts last year. I think management thinks more highly of him than their track record would indicate, mostly likely due to his shot and his wide build. They probably consider him a little different from skinnier guys like Nyquist.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pulkkinen was also one of the last cuts last year. I think management thinks more highly of him than their track record would indicate, mostly likely due to his shot and his wide build. They probably consider him a little different from skinnier guys like Nyquist.

I understand where you're coming from. But do you think they would be comfortable with a top 9 that includes Nyquist, Tatar, and Pulkkinen? I just feel like they dragged their feet so much with Nyquist and Tatar because both guys are smaller.

Also Pulkkinen, while improved, is not nearly as good defensively as Nyquist or Tatar. I don't think he's good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6, and I think with the wave of guys we have coming, we're too crowded in the top 6. I have a hard time seeing where he fits in.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I understand where you're coming from. But do you think they would be comfortable with a top 9 that includes Nyquist, Tatar, and Pulkkinen? I just feel like they dragged their feet so much with Nyquist and Tatar because both guys are smaller.

Also Pulkkinen, while improved, is not nearly as good defensively as Nyquist or Tatar. I don't think he's good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6, and I think with the wave of guys we have coming, we're too crowded in the top 6. I have a hard time seeing where he fits in.

I'm not so sure his size matters in the long run. Presumably the top 9 that includes Tatar, Nyquist and Pulkkinen would also include Mantha, Jurco and Sheahan so size isn't the biggest issue.

And Hudler used to play 3rd line so if he could do it, Pulkkinen probably could.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I think viewing team building in terms of top 6/bottom 6 is an outdated concept. Really if you look at the best teams and Cup winners it's about the top 9/4th line. Good teams have 3 lines that could be considered scoring lines not 2. You need 9 good forwards capable of producing well to be a serious contender now. That's why finding cheap vets who produce and developing productive cheap players is vital to success in the cap world. Tatar Jurco Pulk Sheahan Mantha..... There is room for all of them in the top 9 and likely will still be in the future. Guys like Callahan Glendening maybe even Ferraro are really competing not for a bottom 6 role but one of 3 spots on the 4th line. If we want to be a contender again we shouldn't have theindset of having guys like that on the 3rd line. We should want guys like a productive Weiss or Pulk or Jurco on that unit providing consistent scoring.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think viewing team building in terms of top 6/bottom 6 is an outdated concept. Really if you look at the best teams and Cup winners it's about the top 9/4th line. Good teams have 3 lines that could be considered scoring lines not 2. You need 9 good forwards capable of producing well to be a serious contender now. That's why finding cheap vets who produce and developing productive cheap players is vital to success in the cap world. Tatar Jurco Pulk Sheahan Mantha..... There is room for all of them in the top 9 and likely will still be in the future. Guys like Callahan Glendening maybe even Ferraro are really competing not for a bottom 6 role but one of 3 spots on the 4th line. If we want to be a contender again we shouldn't have theindset of having guys like that on the 3rd line. We should want guys like a productive Weiss or Pulk or Jurco on that unit providing consistent scoring.

+1 to this great comment.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I agree that 3 scoring lines + 1 grind line is definitely the way to go. But with a guy like Babcock he still wants some "two-way" and "heavy players" in that top 9.

For example when our 3 line had Hudler on it, the off wing was a guy like Cleary to chip in 2 way play and win battles.

So if our future 3rd line has a guy like Tatar on it, I have a hard time seeing that off wing being a guy like Pulkkinen. I mean I'm all for having as skilled of a team as possible, but I think Babcock looks for other things when constructing a team. Mix of "heavy guys", and guys that are responsible with the offensive playmakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->