GDT: Red Wings @ Penguins

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So why not play him games, hope he gets it together and try and move him at the deadline rather than lose him for nothing?
He makes too much money as a RFA. Any team that trades for him will let him go to free agency. They won't qualify him at his current salary to retain his rights. There are far better (and likely cheaper) options available.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He makes too much money as a RFA. Any team that trades for him will let him go to free agency. They won't qualify him at his current salary to retain his rights. There are far better (and likely cheaper) options available.
Who cares what the team does with him after he's traded? In your scenario, the Wings are going to lose Mrazek for nothing. Getting something for him is better than letting him walk.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Who cares what the team does with him after he's traded? In your scenario, the Wings are going to lose Mrazek for nothing. Getting something for him is better than letting him walk.
What I'm saying is there's no market for him. Any team that trades for him will also lose him to free agency. He's a below average backup at this point. Teams can find plenty of those for free in their own system. They aren't trading for terrible, rental backups.

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does Mantha even care? Mantha’s a more talented hockey player than Larkin but you sure as hell wouldn’t know it. Comparing him to Franzen seems way too generous if this is how he’s gonna play.

As much as it pisses me off they want to draft based on character or compete level, the more I sit here and watch Mantha the more I understand where they’re coming from.

Like what the hell dude. Was at the game today and he just doesn’t care.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Osgood: "Tatar...SHOOT...THE PUCK...PLEASE."

That's more emotion than I've ever seen from Osgood.

Tats got in so close and had nothing to shoot at.
I understand the frustration, but if he gets that pass across it's a slam dunk.

Maybe he should shoot anyway and hope for a rebound. But a shooter like Tatar knows whether or not he's got something to shoot at.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Does Mantha even care? Mantha’s a more talented hockey player than Larkin but you sure as hell wouldn’t know it. Comparing him to Franzen seems way too generous if this is how he’s gonna play.

As much as it pisses me off they want to draft based on character or compete level, the more I sit here and watch Mantha the more I understand where they’re coming from.

Like what the hell dude. Was at the game today and he just doesn’t care.

That's Mantha.
He needs to take a regular shift in the top 6.
Time to end this 11 forward bullshit.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What I'm saying is there's no market for him. Any team that trades for him will also lose him to free agency. He's a below average backup at this point. Teams can find plenty of those for free in their own system. They aren't trading for terrible, rental backups.
I guess we just have differing opinions on whether Mrazek is permanently damaged goods or not.

He's only 25 years old. That's how old Jimmy was when he became the starter for the Wings. I'm not saying he'll turn around, but I also think it's early to say he'll be terrible forever. I still don't see the harm in giving him enough games to see if he can turn it around so you don't lose total value in an asset.

The Wings have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Tats got in so close and had nothing to shoot at.
I understand the frustration, but if he gets that pass across it's a slam dunk.

Maybe he should shoot anyway and hope for a rebound. But a shooter like Tatar knows whether or not he's got something to shoot at.

He gets confused on what to do with the puck and it shows up a lot in games. He really should just shoot it and not think about passing.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I guess we just have differing opinions on whether Mrazek is permanently damaged goods or not.

He's only 25 years old. That's how old Jimmy was when he became the starter for the Wings. I'm not saying he'll turn around, but I also think it's early to say he'll be terrible forever. I still don't see the harm in giving him enough games to see if he can turn it around so you don't lose total value in an asset.

Mrazek was available to trade for this summer and every team said, "no thanks." Vegas didn't even want him for free. I think you're overvaluing Mrazek on the market. He'd be a nice rebuild project, but not at his current salary. Teams will just wait to sign him this summer on a cheap contract as a free agent if they really want him.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

These guys think the path to the future is 33 year old Jimmy Howard, who'll be 36-37 years old by the time Cholowski or Hronek are good enough (if they're ever good enough) to anchor a defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->