Rumor: Red Wings offer Raphael Diaz a Camp Invite

Brandel*

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Meh. Wouldn't mind it if we didn't have/can get rid of Kindl and Lashoff.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wouldn't be a bad move. He's mobile and moves the puck well. He's better defensively than his reputation would suggest, too.

The Kindl comparison is nonsense, though. Big, sloppy puckmover with a huge shot vs small, slick puckmover with a mediocre shot.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Meh. Wouldn't mind it if we didn't have/can get rid of Kindl and Lashoff.

Yeah, they're not going anywhere. Diaz would just be another one of those stopgaps when we could let an Ouellet or Marchenko get the shot they deserve. Hope he takes the invite elsewhere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, they're not going anywhere. Diaz would just be another one of those stopgaps when we could let an Ouellet or Marchenko get the shot they deserve. Hope he takes the invite elsewhere.

Someone has to be the #7 defenseman though. If they waived Lashoff and signed Diaz, I would be pleased.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Someone has to be the #7 defenseman though. If they waived Lashoff and signed Diaz, I would be pleased.

Exactly the move Holland would never make, so no real need to speculate over that. If Diaz gets a PTO here and subsequently signs a contract, this will only affect guys who are not waiver eligible.

On the other hand if Diaz would come here and outplay all of our prospects in camp, is it a terrible signing? Probably not. But a very short-sighted one.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
wasn't he the guy that made the horrible pass to a teammate that almost got him killed in Montreal..... I'm drawing a blank on the players name... edit... Lars ellar...check out that video...yikes

Brandel*

wasn't he the guy that made the horrible pass to a teammate that almost got him killed in Montreal..... I'm drawing a blank on the players name... edit... Lars ellar...check out that video...yikes

Diaz being at fault for that got blown so far out of proportion, basically the result of Maclean's comments and CDN media. It definitely wasn't a good pass though.

edit: relevant video posted above

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I applaud Ken Holland, I mean here I thought this team could not get any softer and play any smaller, yet he continues to amaze us. It is actually the one thing that Ken Holland excels at.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Exactly the move Holland would never make, so no real need to speculate over that. If Diaz gets a PTO here and subsequently signs a contract, this will only affect guys who are not waiver eligible.

Pretty much. He's a fool.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Imagine signing Diaz to a ~$1M or less contract for 1 year, and shipping out Kindl? I'd be way too happy over such a minimal roster adjustment.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Imagine signing Diaz to a ~$1M or less contract for 1 year, and shipping out Kindl? I'd be way too happy over such a minimal roster adjustment.

I proposed this trade when there was talk that Vancouver was going to flip Diaz. They've got similar value, and Kindl might still have more untapped potential than Diaz, but Diaz would be cheaper and has a right shot.

At this point I'd rather have Diaz than Kindl, but I would absolutely hate having them both, and ideally neither.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
At this point I'd rather have Diaz than Kindl, but I would absolutely hate having them both, and ideally neither.

I'd rather have both if it means Lashoff is off the roster. Let Kindl and Diaz take turns as the 6th/7th D. I doubt any of the kids are ready to take over a top 4 role and they'll develop much better playing in GR more than 10-12 minutes on a 3rd pairing or sitting as the #7

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'd rather have both if it means Lashoff is off the roster. Let Kindl and Diaz take turns as the 6th/7th D. I doubt any of the kids are ready to take over a top 4 role and they'll develop much better playing in GR more than 10-12 minutes on a 3rd pairing or sitting as the #7

Off the roster or out of the organization? Because I would imagine if both Kindl/Diaz were on the roster, then Lashoff would be waived, probably not claimed, and then he becomes a veteran call-up option that further decreases NHL appearances of Marchy, Sproul, Ouellet, or Backman. No bueno.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm not sure Detroit would be a smart place for him. So much has been made in the media of Detroit's need for a RD that anything less than outright success (from the RD) will be heavily scrutinized. He'd just be another cog in a bad D, but he'd be held accountable for more than that. Plus, if he signs on and the team misses the playoffs, the media will probably burn him at the stake.

and for what? a little PP time? safer to go somewhere else and quietly work on his game. Coming to Detroit would definitely be risky. Could be a nice success if he helps the PP, but he'll be done in the NHL if he can't.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we should give McBain an invite. Much better player IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->