GDT: Red Wings @ Flyers - 8:00 EST - NBCSN

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
One of the best games so far. The NBC crew used the words snarl, fight, battle, etc. to describe the competitive drive from both teams. I'm not sure what set it off but from the end of the 2nd onward was a straight up rumble. Almost had a playoff feel, an edge that a lot of vanilla NHL matches lately are missing. Some fans here said win or lose they want to see more push-back from the Wings- this was a great example of the intensity Detroit can display battling for ice/pucks.

Howard was outstanding.
Frk had a great game.
Top notch effort from Mantha and Larkin.

We led twice and almost toppled the Bullies on the 2nd of a b2b. I swear Detroit is up with Tampa and Toronto in skating ability. If they keep playing like the last 3 vs. the Leafs, Isles, and Flyers I might start rooting for this team to win haha.

Howard was not outstanding, he was average at best, and the first goal was mostly on him for being out of position on a low percentage shot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don’t know how you can say Howard was outstanding. If he was outstanding then trade him and play mrazek cause if Howard is. Mrazek has been more outstanding

DatsMagic

Feb 21, 2017
Bench Mantha. He might have taken three strides all game. For a guy under the microscope for questions about his effort, he sure confirmed all the suspicions tonight.

Agreed. He looked really bad out there tonight. Kid doesn't even look like he wants to play hockey.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No no, according to HF boards he should be getting 20+ minutes a night on the top line, win or lose.

All I have read is, treat Mantha and expect the same level of play from him as we do anyone else on the team, from zetterberg thru witowski.

in fact, based on salary we should ALWAYS expect more effort and consistency from our highest paid players, always

if mantha sucks sit him
if nyquist sucks sit him
if jensen sucks sit him
if ericsson sucks sit him
if mrazek sucks sit him
if howard sucks sit him

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
All I have read is, treat Mantha and expect the same level of play from him as we do anyone else on the team, from zetterberg thru witowski.

in fact, based on salary we should ALWAYS expect more effort and consistency from our highest paid players, always

if mantha sucks sit him
if nyquist sucks sit him
if jensen sucks sit him
if mrazek sucks sit him
if howard sucks sit him

Apparently the veterans have gone through the 'young player gauntlet' and proven themselves. Therefore they are immune to accountability.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I was there last night was a fun game to watch in person sucks wasn't even mad plus I'm so used to seeing them lose here and the tank reasons.

It's funny how back to back effect us negatively but we make teams coming off back to backs look like the 80s Oilers.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

if mantha sucks sit him
if nyquist sucks sit him
if jensen sucks sit him
if mrazek sucks sit him
if howard sucks sit him
Agreed...but then they'd occasionally have to forfeit a game, due to insufficient players available.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Agreed. He looked really bad out there tonight. Kid doesn't even look like he wants to play hockey.

looks like confidence is very shaky at the moment. The pass in the first period to nyquist was very good, then his stick breaks behind the net and you see him being very tentative the next shifts. He needs to shoot more. He takes strange shots sometimes where he just turns and lets it fly towards the net, but in some situations where every other good shooter would shoot, he passes it. Its frustrating to watch sometimes. I think last season during his first good run, he played better than this year

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Btw, i thought nyquist didn't look totally outmuscled on the boards in this one, for a change. He played one of his best games of the season

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
XO has lined up on the right side off and on while in Detroit.
So have Kronwall and big E, doesn't make them effective at it.

Edit: not that Jensen has been effective, dudes been garbage and I'd be fine with him sitting.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So have Kronwall and big E, doesn't make them effective at it.

Edit: not that Jensen has been effective, dudes been garbage and I'd be fine with him sitting.

When Big E moved a little better, I thought he did well on his off-side. I don't think it really changes XO's game a ton, either. Some things come easier on the left side, but playing him on the right side isn't something that's beyond question for me.

As you said, Jensen isn't doing enough to justify having a lock on that roster spot anyway. Swapping XO isn't something I expect to be a downgrade of any real sort. That said, he'd probably directly lead to a goal against ten minutes into the next game he plays.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
when the team is doing poorly, expect fewer fans... id expect that in any market.

I think a big part of that also is the forum changing software. Vbulletin is the best forum software on the market and they downgraded to this new clunky/buggy forum software. I hate how it functions on Chrome, works a little better on Firefox... and I'm not a fan of Firefox either. Lol

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
when the team is doing poorly, expect fewer fans... id expect that in any market.

Pretty much. A few years ago one of the Minny mods just had back and forths with himself in the GDTs because they were so quiet, and Minny isn't exactly a bad hockey market.

Something that I think hasn't helped is RWC closing down with its founder's death. We haven't had a lot of guys that garner much talk in more general forums, so getting info on a lot of the kids in the system isn't exactly easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->