GDT: Red Wings @ Flyers - 8:00 EST - NBCSN

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What they showed about AA I seen that twice, just in the 3rd, with Mantha as well. First one in on the forecheck and what does he do? He uses his stick to try and poke the puck away instead of laying on the body. Philly had two easy outs.

That's my biggest concern with Athanasiou.
He doesn't charge in. He gets close and waives his stick.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Funny how we can't win playin the night before. But when we play other teams in our home that played the night before they walk all over us. Lol, this team.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
vorachecks elbow accelerates towards athanasious face

how is it not an elbow?

It looked like a shoulder motion trying to shrug off someone who's all over your back. He couldn't see where AA's face was for it to be an intentional attempt to elbow in the face.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
It looked like a shoulder motion trying to shrug off someone who's all over your back. He couldn't see where AA's face was for it to be an intentional attempt to elbow in the face.
You know its not about intent its about what happened and he took an elbow.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Looked more like a forearm shiver to me but whatever. No reason for Voracek to have his arm up that high anyway. Laughable diving call though considering how little diving is actually called.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
vorachecks elbow accelerated towards athanasious face and hit him there, the elbow being the principal point of contact

how is it not an elbow?

There was no elbow. He used his shoulder/arm to push AA. The ref who was right there saw it, told the ref who was half way down the ice, and they made an even up call. Its not quite doing the right thing, because it DID help Detroit, but still necessary.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
You know its not about intent its about what happened and he took an elbow.

Sure, but he didn't lead with the elbow. The elbow was against his body as it would be while you're holding the stick and by moving his shoulder in a shrugging motion the elbow came up as well. Like I said, he didn't know where AA's face was since he had positioning and was trying to play the puck with AA draped all over his back. This did not look to me like a penalty at all, for either player.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Nick Jensen looked drunk on the game-winner
That he plays over XO is insane. But he also played over Marchenko, too.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I can't believe I will say it , but I did like Red Wings game except probably last 2 min in the game

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
The gw goal was absolutely brutal to watch. Jensen takes himself out of the play then proceeds to casually float toward the net while watching Couturier have three whacks at the puck. Booth goes to cover Simmonds, who's already being covered, fails to stop the pass across, then stops short and leisurely watches Howard make two terrific saves before Couturier bangs in the second rebound into an empty net.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
First goal, Ericsson get easily out muscled on the side of the net and lets Weise just walk behind for the easy wraparound. Second goal, DK doesn't cover the man in front of the net, doesn't stop either of the cross passes, basically pylons it up while they score an easy tap in. Third goal, double screen from both a Flyer and RW that went just inside the post. Howard saw absolutely nothing. Last goal I already described above. Horrible, horrible defending all around.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Nick Jensen looked drunk on the game-winner
That he plays over XO is insane. But he also played over Marchenko, too.

Honestly, Jensen has taken steps back more than ANYONE this season. Maybe he was much more sheltered last year? But seriously, at least last year the guy could escape with his speed or join a rush for an offensive chance. He looks slower than shit compared to last year and I haven't seen the guy jump in a play since nam.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Bench Mantha. He might have taken three strides all game. For a guy under the microscope for questions about his effort, he sure confirmed all the suspicions tonight.
No no, according to HF boards he should be getting 20+ minutes a night on the top line, win or lose.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
First goal, Ericsson get easily out muscled on the side of the net and lets Weise just walk behind for the easy wraparound. Second goal, DK doesn't cover the man in front of the net, doesn't stop either of the cross passes, basically pylons it up while they score an easy tap in. Third goal, double screen from both a Flyer and RW that went just inside the post. Howard saw absolutely nothing. Last goal I already described above. Horrible, horrible defending all around.

Howard didn't have a good game tonight. That first goal he was very slow to react.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
One of the best games so far. The NBC crew used the words snarl, fight, battle, etc. to describe the competitive drive from both teams. I'm not sure what set it off but from the end of the 2nd onward was a straight up rumble. Almost had a playoff feel, an edge that a lot of vanilla NHL matches lately are missing. Some fans here said win or lose they want to see more push-back from the Wings- this was a great example of the intensity Detroit can display battling for ice/pucks.

Howard was outstanding.
Frk had a great game.
Top notch effort from Mantha and Larkin.

We led twice and almost toppled the Bullies on the 2nd of a b2b. I swear Detroit is up with Tampa and Toronto in skating ability. If they keep playing like the last 3 vs. the Leafs, Isles, and Flyers I might start rooting for this team to win haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad