Red Wings Draft thread

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
It was a busy day, going into the draft i held, 27th, 35th, 78th

Before the draft even started a deal was struck. Sending potential starter Korposallo and Minor Leaguer Brandon Lepsic for 21st overall.

21st overall Pierre-Oliver Joesph
Defence Charlottetown Islanders.
6 feet 160 pounds

I knew going in i needed defense, the big boys got taken early. However there were still a few very solid options, orignally i wanted Foote. My father quickly convinced me against him. That being said i wasnt down on Joesph. Hes a solid puck moving defensemem with no major flaws to his game. He needs to get bigger,stronger but that is something that can be fixed. He sees the play well and can skate two important things in the NHL this day and age.

Next up 27th got traded in exhange for 32nd and 93rd.

With more than a few guys on my list adding a pick, made sense even in a weaker draft.

32nd overall Klim Kostin
Dynamo Moscow
6'3 196 pounds.

The russian will he come over wont he had Klim fall to me at 32 and his skill set, left me little choice not to draft him. A big boy who as he fills in more is hard to contain. With a great shot, good skating. He is a boom or bust pick like all russians but the skill is just too hard to pass up in a weaker draft crop.

35th overall Alexei Lipanov
Balashikha Russia

Alexei Lipanov is another hope he comes over type, but sill less offensive upside. However the center is extremely talented in the faceoff dot, with a high IQ, solid passing, and unlike many russians a 200 foot player whose praised for leadership qualitys. Lipanov has drawn comparissons to Toews, Larionov, Kopitar. All high praise lets hope he becomes anywhere near them.

Looking like i might have to wait till mid 3rd to pick again, another deal was struck. 78th overall and just aquired 93rd went for 55th.

55th overall Ostap Safin
Prague Czech
6'4 198 pounds

Shockingly he kept falling, Safin is far from a safe pick(seems i took a few risks). However like Kostin, his raw talent is off the charts. He could very well fall anywhere in the drafr due to a poor work ethic however, the rest of his tool box is full. Boom or bust, however his skills and the lack of skill left around this point made him too hard to pass up.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I love me some Russian prospects. I was trying to trade up to draft the falling Kostin so I think that was a great get at that point and Lipanov was in consideration at 39 for me if he made it that far.

Good start to the draft. :handclap:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I've never seen you moving and shaking quite like this before - it was a very good day for the Wings and sure added to the fun of the draft - I like the picks and trades - you got some strong upside in all those picks - and some real size in Kostin and Safin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad