GDT: Red Wings @ Coyotes | 10:00 EST | FSD

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Probably wouldn't be wise for me to say. I posted it because its kind of proof i actually have a contact and not making stuff up... but i dont want to say who my contact is (he/she) probably wouldn't appreciate that. But lets just say this contact is in a position to have conversations with Ken Holland directly. So I think it is really cool to ask this person things. And relay some of he/she says to you fine hardcore wings fans :)

It’s kris draper.:laugh: Personal assistant

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
He doesn't PK. He looked good, if sometimes inconsistent in the game (I was there, and it was a blast) and with the parade to the penalty box really killed some of the flow of the game through the middle.

This was my first thought aswell, but then that doesn't explain that Tatar had 18 ish min and Nyquist 17 ish min. Neither PK.

It's starting to bother me more and more that we still have both Nyquist and Tatar on the team while we're not being competitive. They fill the same role and take up 10 mil in cap space.

I'm having a bad morning, I really don't understand why I can't just appreciate the win and be happy that Larkin and frk continue to produce.... So yeaah, nvm, hopefully Mantha gets more IT next game.

Edit: Just saw that Mantha only had 19 seconds of PP, I'm having a really hard time rationalizing that.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
This is what drives me nuts about the Wings strategy these days - Once small guys can actually thrive in the league, we move away from drafting them. You simply get more bang for your buck when you're picking for skill above all else.

You want to draft small wingers with our first round picks?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm getting old. Fell asleep with like 10 minutes left in the Dallas game and now last night dozed off at 1-1, woke up at 2-2 then fell asleep for good mid way through the 3rd. Nice to wake up to a win though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1.9 M x 2 years is the offer on the table for AA. AA does infact want 2.5M. )

That 2.5M just wont work with the cap. Have to waive three guys or trade Sheahan+ waive 1 one guy.

Just impossible. with that figure we don't see Athanasiou on our team at this season.

Or, it needs a trade for some guy with higher caphit than his demanded 2.5M. He has set himself on the top of our +2.5M guys. Damn selfish.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I'm getting old. Fell asleep with like 10 minutes left in the Dallas game and now last night dozed off at 1-1, woke up at 2-2 then fell asleep for good mid way through the 3rd. Nice to wake up to a win though.

It's definitely getting tougher these days. I used that spoiler free highlight website this morning and tried not to use my phone before I got to work.

It's nice to see the wins. That's all I can say. At least it's slightly fun to watch.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nyquist has zero points through four games on the first line. In fact, that first line had zero points together tonight. The newly adjusted second line had no points together either, whereas it had been productive prior to the change.

I think Frk needs to reunite with Mantha and Larkin. He's earned it. Abdelkader didn't work there anyway, but he's had some success with Z. So move him up with Z and Tatar and move Nyquist down to the third line. Or put everything back to how it was the first 3 games and give Nyquist one more game to get it going.
Frk was with Larkin and Mantha in the third.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dont wanna jynx it but its looks like Larkin is gonna have his best season yet. He isnt falling down a lot and he already has as many assists as he did last year in December (!!!). Looks good at center too which is a huge bonus.Everyone is doing bad on draws it seems but Larkin and Helm are tied for best on the team with 50% each. That will be a stat worth watching

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dont wanna jynx it but its looks like Larkin is gonna have his best season yet. He isnt falling down a lot and he already has as many assists as he did last year in December (!!!). Looks good at center too which is a huge bonus.Everyone is doing bad on draws it seems but Larkin and Helm are tied for best on the team with 50% each. That will be a stat worth watching

He has 4 assists in 4 games.

Last year it took him 35 games to get 4 assists.

Mantha looks downright lost to me at times and it makes me wonder if he could just be dumb. We might have to entertain that possibility. He's got a nose for the net and has mad skill but he looks like he doesn't know where to be through the first 175 feet of the ice. He might just need a while to internalize the defensive and neutral zone tendencies of a regular NHL player.

Nah. You don't make the passes this kid makes if you are dumb. Maybe he needs some work outside of the offensive zone... but in terms of decision making and playing in the offensive zone, kid is definitely not dumb.

Nyquist has zero points through four games on the first line. In fact, that first line had zero points together tonight.

I did not realize this. That's pretty lousy, especially given how well he played in the pre-season.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Overall I'm about as happy as can be reasonably expected. Green and Howie both look really good. I've been consistent in my view of this team so I do like the potential of being able to ship Green and Howard if/when the bottom falls out. The key is to have Mrazek play every third game and hope Howie doesn't fall apart due to injury yet again this year. The forwards are doing OK, the defense is a bit of a mess. When the Yotes could get the forecheck going we didn't really have any response.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
It's definitely getting tougher these days. I used that spoiler free highlight website this morning and tried not to use my phone before I got to work.

It's nice to see the wins. That's all I can say. At least it's slightly fun to watch.

It's funny cause I'm not even old I'm only 26 and it's getting tough to stay up, when I was in high school/college though I could usually stay up for these west coast trips. Not anymore. What pisses me off though is if the Wings weren't on and I'd wanted to go to sleep I wouldn't be able to and would be watching adult swim or sitcom reruns all night aha.

Reactions: DeYarmond Edison
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Tatar and Nyquist need to get it going, and fast. For them mentally, they need some offensive production, so they don't start doubting themselves again like last year. It's funny how Tatar always gets off to slow starts. With consistency he'd score 30 no problem. Earn your 5.3 Tats, let's go.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It annoys me that Mantha is utilized in the net front role during the PP. His shot and vision are so good, seems like a waste. Then again he is 6"5. Meh.
He reminds me a bit of Mule. On one of his goals the puck bounced off him in front of the net and he quickly buried it for a goal. And his other goal was a real nice shot at a tough angle. He's big and he's got very quick reflexes and an accurate shot. So I do like him in close. His skating and puckhandling are never going to be much, IMO. Mule was always good in close and up to this point I feel the same about Mantha.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm not convinced that this a good team but they've got some encouraging aspects about it.

Howard was good last year around all the injuries...he continues to play well in the early going. He can hide some of the weaknesses on defense.

Green has been active offensively...but the key players have been that young line of Mantha-Larkin-Frk. I'm pleased to see those guys make an impact. They shouldn't be the go-to line right now but they're playing well so I guess we'll take that. You need more than one line producing but if you're going to have a line show up...I'm happy to see the young bucks leading the way.

I want to see more from Tatar, Nyquist, Helm and Abdelkader...given what they're paying them...but I'm glad this team doesn't need to rely on those guys. This team was bad because they lacked offensive depth in their lineup. If the veterans can produce around what they're expected plus the young line can develop into reliable offensive threats...this team won't be as bad as last year.

Don't fool yourself, this is still going to be a lottery team...

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
What happens if this team surprises everyone and finds a way to wiggle into the playoffs?

No way Green or Howie are even considered to be traded.

If they're going to be a playoff team (which I highly doubt)...I hope they are a team that stays in the top 3 in the Atlantic. I don't want this to be a team that is "within shouting distance" of a playoff spot and it'll compel Kenny to not sell at the deadline. Either be up in the standings all season or be in the bottom third of the league. Mediocrity would drive me crazy.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What happens if this team surprises everyone and finds a way to wiggle into the playoffs?

No way Green or Howie are even considered to be traded.

I honestly don't see Holland trading Howard unless they are completely in the basement or Jimmy completely drops the starting gig before the TDL. I'll bet there's a bigger chance that Mrazek moves at the TDL if they are leaning more toward not giving him is QO at that point.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I can't find any youtube videos with the slo-mo Frk shot in the replay to make a gif of it and it's starting to really annoy me.

How to not play D 101
giphy.gif

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Frk was with Larkin and Mantha in the third.
If it happened even handed, I guess it would have been for about a minute, maximum.

That has been their best line as far as production, period. Maybe it was not be beyond all criticism, but swapping Abdelkader for Frk did not help in any way. It hurt the second line, if anything.

They scored, I think, all of their non power play goals, from strange combos, like when 2/3 of a line had changed and that last guy just happened to catch a rush at the very end of his shift. It looked like Blashill caught on to that and really started mixing up the combos toward the end. That worked, but what did not work were his actual even-strength preset lines.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If it happened even handed, I guess it would have been for about a minute, maximum.
It was the whole period, Abby was doing a lot of weird rotating in the third. He took shifts with Hank and Tats, Nielsen and Helm, even Glenny and Sheahan at even strength.

What's frustrating is PP2 is our stronger unit and they got the one shift all game on the PP, the goal. That's horse shit.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Kenny Holland is really upset about the AA situation. Kenny is a very bright guy. 1.9 M x 2 years is the offer on the table for AA. AA does infact want 2.5M. And Kenny has actually pondered raising his offer. but he thinks 1.9M is a fair offer. Ken Holland doesn't even really want AA back, (AA is not well liked by coach or GM), but he is afraid AA is good enough to score 30G for some other team. And he really doesnt want to give him away. (their is a mix of feelings here obviously)
AA also feels like he deserves 20Min a game, and should be on the top powerplay. the reason the coaches dont like him as much as us fans sometimes, is he doesnt do "the little things" well. he is missing details, and focusing on what he alone determined to be how to excel in this league. He is wrong. He should take the 1.9M, play like an allstar, then get paid the big bucks after.

I would say FRK is stealing his job right now. And it would be interesting to see whether Kenny might actually make a trade involving AA at some point. (although I personally doubt it)

Kenny isn't a very bright guy.
He's been one of the dullest NHL Gms for eight years now.
He manages assets like its 1998.
The days of holding down salaries and then splurging on UFA-age players is over. And even if those were still the days, you don't splurge on the players Holland splurged on.

And then quibble over a few hundred thousand dollars on a guy you think will be a 30G guy.

That's the height of stupidity.

Secondly, you've bought the company line, lock, stock and barrel, on Athanasiou. "He should accept what we offer and he'll make his money in the future."

Anyone in pro hockey would be lemming to believe that. You can get drilled skating over the blueline tomorrow and never get that payday Holland and Draper promised.

Lots of wingers in the NHL don't do the little things.
Nyquist doesn't. Tatar doesn't.

Last night, Darren Helm tried to do too much himself and cost his team a goal (Helm's hockey IQ has never been his strong suit, but nobody ever questions it? Why do players with limited skill never get questioned for their low effort, low IQ plays?)

I don't know how many times I've watched Abdelkader backhand the puck from the corners to nobody in particular - turning a possession into a an attack for the other team.

But let's all jump down the throat of a 23-year-old winger with less than 100 games to his name for not being a Selke-caliber forward.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What's with these "Mantha is dumb, is like the Mule" posts?

I don't get it, like at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad