Red Wings at the Deadline II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not sure what you're talking about. A ton of people on this board were/are in favor of trading for Myers, Green, Yandle, and Bouwmeester. In some cases, easily more than half. But people see what they want to see, I guess.

One of those glad I don't run the team moments.... I would have offered up Tatar for Green this off-season and said as much a lot.

Still think Mike Green has to be our first call in free agency. Would give up our first rounder plus something minor (he is a rental after all) this year for him in a heartbeat if the Caps would make him available at the deadline.

Would like to have the negotiations all to ourselves for a while on top of what he would bring to this team for the duration of this season and post-season.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
A decent amount, center ice and all. I generally put on a late game, have Dallas and San Jose on right now. I don't just watch the Wings though they obviously come first on the nights they are playing.

Not a huge fan of watching Yotes games because I cannot stand Tippett's system. However, he has always struggled against top flight players, he is easily exploited when asked to check anyone of significant talent.

Kindl didn't dress last night I give Yandle an advantage there defensively.

Smith does a better job in the corners and in front of his own net than Yandle. Who also could barely hit his way out of a wet paper bag. Yandle has a really bad penchant for wandering, but I can see people preferring him to Smith, really the complaints that are at times manufactured out of an outright frustration in Smith around here would be the same in terms of watching Keith Yandle play defense and that is with the honeymoon period it would still be hard to watch him play with his head up his *** in the defensive zone for large stretches of the game. At best he is a wash in terms of pure defensive ability I think he is worse, though his offense would be a significant upgrade, I said I would include Smith in a package for him in this thread. Which is hard for me, I like Smith, but honestly I would like to see him move on for a better opportunity at this point.

Ericsson is lightyears ahead of Yandle defensively. I know people hate his outlet passes and whatever else as one of the resident whipping boys, but if Yandle had one tenth of Ericsson's positional understanding and physicality in front of the net and in the corners, he might get mentioned in Norris conversations because while still bad he would at least be passable enough for the award at that point. Keep that in mind, for all his points the entire hockey world seems to crap on his defensive game sans Lombardi sticking up for him in a half hearted attempt in terms of Team USA there is a reason he is left out of that stuff. His defensive game is that bad. Cannot PK, cannot play his offside, relies on speed alone to get the job done. It does a lot of the time because his skating is that good, but he allows just as many glorious chances as he creates if not more and Babcock hates that.

Off-Topic here but can't let that pass without saying that I am not a huge fan of watching Yotes games because I can't stand to listen to Tyson Nash.

Carry On....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Off-Topic here but can't let that pass without saying that I am not a huge fan of watching Yotes games because I can't stand to listen to Tyson Nash.

Carry On....

Beauty of center ice is I can generally watch the other teams telecast instead. Watch a lot of the Avs because I love their speed and well their games are kind of firewagon gong shows because they are poor defensively. I never watch their broadcast though, I hate the play by play guy. Arizona, Pittsburgh and Colorado might be the worst in terms of broadcasts.

It does make watching Arizona a complete no go if for whatever reason they are all you have in terms of telecast so I agree. Though for those that really want Yandle I would encourage a bunch of those people to watch a couple Yotes games in the coming days if they can find a way.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What about doing this to the team: Trade 1:
A conditional 1st and Ericsson for Green. If Green resigns it stays a first, if he leaves it becomes a 2nd. The Caps get a damn good replacement for Greens third line duties, but have to find a way to make the PP work. Some of their cap trouble is gone. They can flip Ericsson for a pick if they want.
Trade 2:
Smith and maybe Andersson, Jensen or a b prospect or Kindl or whatever else they want that is somewhat insignificant for Petry.
Our D then becomes:
Kronwall-DK
Quincey-Green
XO-Petry
Marchenko

or maybe
Kronwall-Green
DK-Petry
Quincey-Marchenko
XO
And Babs can finally have his three righties.

It certainly thins out our depth, but overall we'd have two righties floating around. We lose our first in this draft but the defense log jam is relieved a little. We finally are done with Ericsson on the 1st line. I guess the biggest question would be whether or not the value is there in my trades. Still I think we're a better team for it. The forwards would be something like:
Abby-Z-Nyquist
Tats-Dats-Helm
Weiss-Sheahan-Pulks
Jurco-Glendenning-Miller

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Beauty of center ice is I can generally watch the other teams telecast instead. Watch a lot of the Avs because I love their speed and well their games are kind of firewagon gong shows because they are poor defensively. I never watch their broadcast though, I hate the play by play guy. Arizona, Pittsburgh and Colorado might be the worst in terms of broadcasts.

It does make watching Arizona a complete no go if for whatever reason they are all you have in terms of telecast so I agree. Though for those that really want Yandle I would encourage a bunch of those people to watch a couple Yotes games in the coming days if they can find a way.

I haven't seen enough of Yandle to have my own opinion, but given Dean Lombardi's comments about him last year regarding the Olympic Selection committee, I have to think he is as good as advertised, though not sure I am willing to give up the prospects necessary to get him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not a huge fan of watching Yotes games because I cannot stand Tippett's system.

There are times watching the Wings, particularly when they get a lead, I have flashbacks. :laugh:

Boston is going to make deadline moves, will be interesting to see how it pans out

This was first posted in Around the NHL thread, but I'll put it here...

Loui Eriksson to Detroit, please. Guess he's been rumored on the block and he has a NTC, so his value is slightly diminished as he gets to pick his team. You'd have to think joining Zetterberg, Nyquist, Kronwall and company can't hurt, eh?

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
There are times watching the Wings, particularly when they get a lead, I have flashbacks. :laugh:

This was first posted in Around the NHL thread, but I'll put it here...

Loui Eriksson to Detroit, please. Guess he's been rumored on the block and he has a NTC, so his value is slightly diminished as he gets to pick his team. You'd have to think joining Zetterberg, Nyquist, Kronwall and company can't hurt, eh?

I'd definitely entertain the idea, but the injuries and concussions have hurt his game. I'm a little weary.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I haven't seen enough of Yandle to have my own opinion, but given Dean Lombardi's comments about him last year regarding the Olympic Selection committee, I have to think he is as good as advertised, though not sure I am willing to give up the prospects necessary to get him.

Two sides to that though, while everyone latched on to Burke because as usual he couldn't help himself and dominated that article with all of his opinions, nobody else stepped up for Yandle in that discussion. Despite Lombardi trying to make a case everyone else in that room dismissed him more or less.

Poile and Bowman aren't exactly bad GMs either, even if Lombardi is one of the best, he was kind of alone. Most of the room made the argument Jack Johnson was better defensively and could elevate his game as he almost always did for Team USA and in general in big games in a way Yandle never showed up.

When the Yotes went on their big run to the conference finals Yandle played the best hockey of his career. It probably sits right in the front of Lombardi's mind. Now he wasn't great in that series in my opinion but clearly Lombardi liked his play enough even though it seemed like his coach was ruthlessly picking on him.

It was interesting to see his statements, but I honestly think Yandle has regressed defensively, certainly from that run but also just in general in my opinion when I watch him. That run really teased at a bigger player in all three zones, one that has been MIA since the middle of that Kings series where he started to get exposed a lot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd definitely entertain the idea, but the injuries and concussions have hurt his game. I'm a little weary.

Understandable. If it weren't for those worries, he'd never hit the trade market. He's so great defensively, though, and I remember years of his great scoring touch. He'd be a terrific fit with Z or D with his ability to finish from the right side. Basically, the idea is to reduce Abdelkader's and Helm's role on the scoring line and, maybe but hopefully not, replace Franzen long-term.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Damnit if Franzen wasn't injured longterm. Wouldn't mind moving him at this point to get a green or Yandle.

jka*

Only five Swedes enough.

Maybe Abdelkader for Eller.

Danish best player can plays center in 4th line up.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Two sides to that though, while everyone latched on to Burke because as usual he couldn't help himself and dominated that article with all of his opinions, nobody else stepped up for Yandle in that discussion. Despite Lombardi trying to make a case everyone else in that room dismissed him more or less.

Poile and Bowman aren't exactly bad GMs either, even if Lombardi is one of the best, he was kind of alone. Most of the room made the argument Jack Johnson was better defensively and could elevate his game as he almost always did for Team USA and in general in big games in a way Yandle never showed up.

When the Yotes went on their big run to the conference finals Yandle played the best hockey of his career. It probably sits right in the front of Lombardi's mind. Now he wasn't great in that series in my opinion but clearly Lombardi liked his play enough even though it seemed like his coach was ruthlessly picking on him.

considering how they USA lost to canada, they could've used yandle and his strenghts. they weren't able to beat team canada's forecheck and break throught neutral zone and if they were, they weren't able to enter the zone effectively and play went again the other way.

Damnit if Franzen wasn't injured longterm. Wouldn't mind moving him at this point to get a green or Yandle.

we can't likely take the risk of trading him and even then, no other team is going to take him. especially phoenix. not exactly tippett type player.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Cap recapture.

Cap recapture.

Nobody is going to take on cap recapture risks for a potential 60 point player, and the Wings are not going to risk another team botching his "retirement" or Franzen just deciding to walk away from the way and retire himself.

It isn't going to happen. People need to stop entertaining that idea.

jka*

In:

Chara
new goalie from reserve team
Eller
new prospect

Out:

Gustavsson - to HV71 or Västerås in SHL
Zetterberg - to Penguins
Cleary - to Bruins
Smith - to reserve team
Russian defensemen to reserve team

Best formation:

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Nyqvist
Franzén - Eller - Weiss
Pulkkinen - Andersson - new prospect
Jurco - Glendening - Tatar

Chara - Dekeyser
Kronwall - Kindl
Ericsson - Quincey

Howard
new reserve

Near the same team like newest posts behind this.

Two good formation's. All we need. Plus great defensive plus one great 1st keeper.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
In:

Chara
Eller
new prospect

Out:

Zetterberg - to Penguins
Cleary - to Bruins
Smith - to reserve team

Best formation:

Franzén - Eller - Weiss

Chara - Dekeyser
Kronwall - Kindl
Ericsson - Quincey

Howard
new reserve

Two good formation's. All we need. Plus great defensive plus one great 1st keeper.

As soon as you said zetterberg out...I stopped listening

He will retire here for sure

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Cap recapture.

Cap recapture.

Nobody is going to take on cap recapture risks for a potential 60 point player, and the Wings are not going to risk another team botching his "retirement" or Franzen just deciding to walk away from the way and retire himself.

It isn't going to happen. People need to stop entertaining that idea.

Can we just LTIR him for life, much like Philadelphia did with Pronger? I'm not sure how it would help with his cap hit, but it would mean roster space for the young'uns. If ownership has a problem with paying for Franzen's multi-million-dollar press-box seat for the rest of his career, perhaps they can stop Holland from signing such abysmal contracts in the first place.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Can we just LTIR him for life, much like Philadelphia did with Pronger? I'm not sure how it would help with his cap hit, but it would mean roster space for the young'uns. If ownership has a problem with paying for Franzen's multi-million-dollar press-box seat for the rest of his career, perhaps they can stop Holland from signing such abysmal contracts in the first place.

yes, if he's actually injured.

cap hit could be pushed on LTIR though it's not ideal and not completely 'free' of space and it complicates things, it's much better than having that 4 mil there every year.

insurance covers the money if he's on LTIR for the rest of his career.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

It became an "abysmal" contract once the NHL decided to retroactively punish NHL GMs for signing contracts that were completely legal at the time.

Overclass*

In:

Chara
Eller
new prospect

Out:

Zetterberg - to Penguins
Cleary - to Bruins
Smith - to reserve team

Best formation:

Franzén - Eller - Weiss

Chara - Dekeyser
Kronwall - Kindl
Ericsson - Quincey

Howard
new reserve

Yeah... No.

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
In:

Chara
Eller
new prospect

Out:

Zetterberg - to Penguins
Cleary - to Bruins
Smith - to reserve team

Best formation:

Franzén - Eller - Weiss

Chara - Dekeyser
Kronwall - Kindl
Ericsson - Quincey

Howard
new reserve

W T F ? :help:

this cant be real...i mean...like...no...i dont know if im supposed to laugh or cry

Chara?
Zetterberg to Pits?
Eller?
Tatar on 4th line?
Where is Sheahan?
Helm?
New goalie from reserve? Who"s that? Mrazek? Griffins arent reserves

football fan who never heard of hockey or Wings would create better lineup

Cal Vandelay

Apr 1, 2008
I see where Curtis Glencross has been asked to put together a list of teams he would be willing to accept a trade to from Calgary. He would be a guy I'd be interested in, he is a pending UFA would be an upgrade for this season over Junco & Anderson. He would certainly bring grit to the 3rd line & PK and has the ability to move up and down the line-up.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
who would honestly suggest moving zetterberg out?

ALL we need, again ALL we need, is a young enough top 3 dman who can become part of our CORE moving forward(by definition that means at least the next five years).

smith
jurco
mckee(some other college level lesser known prospect)
2016 1st rd pick

for

yandle

this is a very simmilar pckg than that for ryan, kesler, kovalchuk, hossa, heatley, burns, etc

Overclass*

I see the jets are willing to move Burmistrov's rights. Given him and Pavel's relationship and his age, would anyone be interest in trading a pick or b level prospect for his rights? I'd do it for say a 3rd in 2016. People say he's nothing more than a 3rd liner based on a few seasons in his teens, but the fact of the matter is he had a 28 point season as a 19 year old with 3rd line minutes all while being defensivily responsible. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could be a 45-50 point 2 way center in detroit's system. Heck, I think he has the talent to even be more. would anyone else want Kenny to take a chance on him?

Keep in mind he's only 23, so he would still be in GR in the Wings system, he has room to grow and improve. Another great thing is his versatility as he can line up either center or wing so he could be used immediately at Wing if injuries and return to Center when Dats is gone. Low risk potentially high reward

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I see the jets are willing to move Burmistrov's rights. Given him and Pavel's relationship and his age, would anyone be interest in trading a pick or b level prospect for his rights? I'd do it for say a 3rd in 2016. People say he's nothing more than a 3rd liner based on a few seasons in his teens, but the fact of the matter is he had a 28 point season as a 19 year old with 3rd line minutes all while being defensivily responsible. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could be a 45-50 point 2 way center in detroit's system. Heck, I think he has the talent to even be more. would anyone else want Kenny to take a chance on him? Low risk potentially high reward

Loved him going into the draft, and I'm a sucker, so yeah I'd be down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad