Red Wings are Red Hot

• Thread starter HFNHL Red Wings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

It’s not often that GM Niece has words of praise for his team but after going 7-2-1 in the past 10 games some recognition was due.

While the recent schedule has been relatively kind to the Wings in that span (8 of the 10 games were against sub .500 teams) these were games the team needed to take advantage of, not to mention the team got a rare win over conference rival Chicago.

Leading the way offensively has been recently acquired Mark Parrish. When the deal first went down Detroit fans were enraged that Bill Guerin had been traded before the season had started for Mark Parrish, Dominic Moore, and a 5th rounder. In retrospect it is looking more like a case of addition by subtraction as the team is exceeding expectations and Parrish’s 13 goals are 2nd only to Ilya Kovalchuk and the 17 points far exceeds Guerin’s 7 with Boston. It seems Stumpel and Parrish have found some chemistry that the team hopes continues.

The other key contributing factor to the teams success has been the effectiveness of it’s puck moving defencemen as Brent Sopel and Nicklas Lidstrom are currently tied for the lead in points by defencemen.

Add in the offensive contributions of rookie Trent Hunter who’s playing on the 3rd line and Mike Knuble on the 2nd and you have a team that currently ranks third in the league for goals scored.

If there’s a trouble spot for the team it’s been it’s poor defensive play, which is a huge surprise considering the team has a wealth of defensively solid players both at forward and on defense. The team, while having reduced the gap in shots against, is still regularly out shot by their opponents.

From here on out the schedule gets a lot tougher. Starting with the Senators tonight the team also has to face the Blues and Flyers in the next 5 games. We will all getter a better feel for how the team is shaping up and whether they can really be considered a factor in the HFNHL standings this season following those 5 games.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
HFNHL Red Wings said:
From here on out the schedule gets a lot tougher. Starting with the Senators tonight the team also has to face the Blues and Flyers in the next 5 games. We will all getter a better feel for how the team is shaping up and whether they can really be considered a factor in the HFNHL standings this season following those 5 games.

Seems the Red Wings had a game with the Wild amongst those 5 games, though the author failed to mention them.

Vesa Toskala stopped 20 shots to go raise his record to 7-1, and Jaroslav Svoboda scored in his first game of the year to lead the Wild to an easy 3-0 win over the Wings.

Toskala has clearly taken over as #1 in Minnesota, and Dan Cloutier is being shopped actively by GM Greg Dockus. So far, no offers have come in for Cloutier, and Dockus will not deal any forwards at this point.

HFNHL Red Wings

Wild GM said:
Seems the Red Wings had a game with the Wild amongst those 5 games, though the author failed to mention them.

Vesa Toskala stopped 20 shots to go raise his record to 7-1, and Jaroslav Svoboda scored in his first game of the year to lead the Wild to an easy 3-0 win over the Wings.

Toskala has clearly taken over as #1 in Minnesota, and Dan Cloutier is being shopped actively by GM Greg Dockus. So far, no offers have come in for Cloutier, and Dockus will not deal any forwards at this point.

LOL. Were you refreshing the screen on the page last night every 30 seconds? You posted this within 5 minutes of the upload completeing last night :D

Seriously though, my 5 game measuring stick isn't looking too hot atm. Yes I lost to you (that was the first, and hopefully only, time I've been shutout this season) and even with the Senators having Zetterberg and Hecht out due to injury I still lost that one as well. Now I have to face the Flyers and Blues.

I guess any dillusions I had of maybe competing are being quickly dispelled.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
HFNHL Red Wings said:
LOL. Were you refreshing the screen on the page last night every 30 seconds? You posted this within 5 minutes of the upload completeing last night :D.

Timing, my friend. I was on line.....and was at the HF site, and clicked the scores to see if you had worked your magic and WALLAH! It was there.

Hey, I consider the Wings as a contender. A road win against you is a big one for the Wild. At some point, I hope the Wild getting beat at home is a big win for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad