Red Sox/Yankees in LONDON????

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
And I thought putting a franchise in Mexico City was a dumb idea. This takes the cake. People in the UK don’t give a shit about baseball.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Wonder mostly about the off days. Can they play Sunday afternoon travel after the game, get to London early Monday morning their time, play Tuesday and Wednesday, travel back, take Thursday off and play a normal weekend series? That doesn't sound insane, but with the drastic time changes it sounds like a lot. I've never actually tried to do anything productive after a long flight though so what do I know.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I'd far rather they play these international games in March if they have to do them, but I guess London in March would never be baseball weather.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Would make more sense to play the game in Japan and maybe have two Japanese teams play here.

Reactions: Rigafan

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
You knew I was posting this song:

If you're going to bring America's Pastime to Jolly Ol' England, why not showcase the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry? Have the British get tired of the matchup. :D

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Nothing wrong with it. It's a couple games, no one will ever try to make the argument an expansion franchise should be put in London.

What I'm disappointed in is that the cricket stadium can't be used because the cricket world cup falls at the same time. So they're going to do it at London Stadium instead which his going to look awful for baseball.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I really dont see what inroads MLB expects in the UK. They already have a popular bat and ball sport, and they laugh at baseball remind them of "girly" rounders.

I wanted the Netherlands/Italy/Germany to host those games. I admitted though hat yeah, cricket stadiums are better suited for this so maybe it should go to London.

Now that its in a soccer stadium, I really dont understand why they are bothering, the experience wont be good and those other countries have soccer stadiums as well.

I basically think MLB does not have the ability to make a crack there.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
People in London that have never watched a baseball game before: "Why are baseball games 4 1/2 hours long?"

These Yankees/Red Sox games always feel like marathons.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
People in London that have never watched a baseball game before: "Why are baseball games 4 1/2 hours long?"

These Yankees/Red Sox games always feel like marathons.

Right because the cricket and soccer/football matches they're used to typically only last 30-45 minutes max then they have to rush out to catch the latest thrill ride episode of Downton Abby or Coronation Street.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Seriously, I'm not sure what appeal this is going to have. Seems like a waste to me.

I really dont get it either; out of all the NA, baseball is the last I would think would have success there. Its just too uphill of a battle against cricket and especially when people think its just slightly better than "girly" rounders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad