Red Kelly/Doug Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Harvey was past his prime by the time I got to see him with the hometown Rags (and his late-sixties comeback with the expansion Blues). He was a smart player, and a nasty one. My memories of Kelly are as a center!

Kelly outpointed Harvey more often than not in the years they played defense, but I think that had more to do with the style of play of their respective teams. Harvey quarterbacked the lethal Habs power play, and a lot of people felt he was the best player on that late-fifties dynasty. I can't definitively say, but I'll go with Harvey.

Ogopogo*

Based on their accomplishements in the NHL, Harvey is ahead of Kelly. Harvey is the #4 defenseman of all time, Kelly is #5.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
The voters of the day, who saw both play, consistenly rated Harvey the better d-man when both were at their best, evidenced by the Norris trophies.

That said, hockey Historians probably don't give Kelly the credit he deserved.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I voted for Harvey, but it's quite close.

Keep in mind that the Norris Trophy wasn't around until 1954. Red Kelly had a great season every year from 1950-1953, but he couldn't have won the Norris for any of them. (In those four years, he was 3rd place in Hart voting twice, first team all-star three times, and led all defensemen in scoring all four years). Kelly probably would have won 2 or 3 Norris trophies over that span.

Ogopogo*

Psycho Joe said:
The voters of the day, who saw both play, consistenly rated Harvey the better d-man when both were at their best, evidenced by the Norris trophies.

That said, hockey Historians probably don't give Kelly the credit he deserved.

Historians do. It is many of the modern hockey fans that don't. They never saw him play so, they know very little about him.

I think historians have a good undersanding of how great he was. Some do, anyway.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Harvey for sure. Some really, really old school guys would say he was more complete than Orr, but I think Orr takes that one. But Kelly is often forgotten about as well. He won 8 Cups. And no one won more Cups than him by a player who wasnt a Hab

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
Historians do. It is many of the modern hockey fans that don't. They never saw him play so, they know very little about him.

I think historians have a good undersanding of how great he was. Some do, anyway.
I was referring to the lists of all time best players. Kelly invariably comes up much later in those lists than Harvey, when in truth the difference was likely not that much.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
My Dad saw both in their prime and says Kelly was great but Harvey could control the tempo of a game.He never saw a player like that until Orr came around. The game was so easy for him, he'd try stunts with the puck to keep interested. He ran the PP like a QB, and would control the puck for long periods on the pk. He had his personal demons,quite a few actually, but I'm told he was one of the great all around athletes.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like Kelly more but I voted for Harvey because of the way Beliveau talks about him in his book. Like some others have said he just controled the tempo of the game whether it was with a quick outlet pass or skating back in his zone, having the other team chase him and then passing to a breaking forward. Beliveau also calls him "the general" because of his great leadership in the locker room.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Kelly was better for 7 years, then Harvey was better for 7-9 years, then Kelly was better again, so on a career level Kelly is slightly ahead. Peak value would go to Harvey though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad