Red Deer gives players the finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
hawker14 said:
you believe what you want to believe. a player who ties his shoes is doing an anti-owner/anti-fan/anti-hockey act in the view of many of these boards.

smyth is a class act and people who get on him and the players for donating their time so a charity can benefit are the ones doing a disservice.

No one's saying Smyth didn't have addtional motives. Generally seems like a good guy, it's not hard to believe that he had charitable reasons as well. But you're totally blind if you can't see how the NHLPA was represented at the same time, simply by virtue of the rosters being composed of locked out players in ADDITION to the hats, tshirts etc

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
oil slick said:
Don't know if this has been posted before, but a group of NHL'ers headed by Smyth tried to do a charity tour. First stop, Red Deer where they drew 800 people out of a 6,000 capacity arena. Tychowski is a little too blatantly anti NHLPA for my liking, but here is the story.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2005/03/23/969997.html

EDIT:sucks that a charity had to suffer for this too.
makes you wonder what will be left for king gary to rool over -

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Smyth's motives - and all of the players' motives - is not really the relevant issue. I have no doubt they have concern for the charity and their participation in this games reflects that. Also, my guess is the NHLPA hats/shirts were more likely the doing of Bob Goodenow's minions than the individual players participating in the game.

Anyhow, what's more relevant is the complete and utter rejection of the NHL players, at least by the people of Red Deer. Just as telling as the lack of attendance was the reaction of the fans who were there (boos, not much cheering, etc.) as described in the two stories about the game. If that doesn't frighten both the players and the league into making a deal ASAP, then they both deserve to lose everything they've got.

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
Care to comment on the fact that the players were handing out NHLPA hats and shirts to the "throng" of fans? Seems like NHLPA representation to me?

Could be worse.....They could be selling NHLPA hats and shirts to the 'throngs of fans.'

Now that would be mercenary.

Cheers to the folks at Red Deer for sending a message to the NHLPA.

Daddy

Phanuthier*

hawker14 said:
Calgary is a great hockey town, but once the novelty wears off and the Flames' fans see replacements for what they are ( you can't dress up a turd in fancy packaging, and sell it for premium chocolate prices without people catching on), i think the average fan would much rather spend $ 15 to see a Hitmen game than $ 50 to see a bunch of has-beens and never-will-be's.

this is nothing against Flames fans, as i love the city, i just can't see even 10,000 fans paying to watch garbage players game in and game out, in any city.
ummm....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000432002.html

Phanuthier*

hawker14 said:
mid november with replacement players ?

i wouldn't be surprised to see 1500-2000 fans actually show up.

then again, maybe there are alot more people who like to throw their money away than i originally thought.
I don't just watch NHL hockey because I'm a fan of the NHL only. I watch it because I love hockey. WHL, AHL, heck, even the guys that play shinny in West Ed I'll stop by.

This wouldn't be a league of no-name players. It would be made up of guys who would cross, AHLers (next best league in North America) and former NHL players who have gone to Europe. This wouldn't be a gong show like the NHLPA attempt, this would actually be legit hockey.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
e-townchamps said:
why not make a few hundred "Ryan Smyth Charity tour" t-shirts...they're rich enough!!

what would u rather get, an Oilers shirt or an NHLPA shirt

Who`s autograph would you rather have, Jarome Iginla`s or Hotchkiss`s?
Who did Oiler fans in the 80s cheer for- Messier or Pocklington?
Who do Leaf fans from the 70s have fonder memories of: Sittler or Ballard?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Splatman Phanutier said:
I don't just watch NHL hockey because I'm a fan of the NHL only. I watch it because I love hockey. WHL, AHL, heck, even the guys that play shinny in West Ed I'll stop by.

This wouldn't be a league of no-name players. It would be made up of guys who would cross, AHLers (next best league in North America) and former NHL players who have gone to Europe. This wouldn't be a gong show like the NHLPA attempt, this would actually be legit hockey.

Exactly what makes it more legit? Because the money is going in the owners` pockets?

Phanuthier*

hawker14 said:
they were giving out free shirts and hats ?

those dirty, greedy players !!!
In the NHL, the teams would be marketing their product.

The "Ryan Smyth and Friends" was a charity, so it should have been marketing the charity and not themselves.

If I went to collect donations at a mall or going door to door, I would probably be sporting advertisment of my charity I'm representing, and not (say) Petro-Canada, and their Superclean fuel.

Phanuthier*

reckoning said:
Exactly what makes it more legit?
How about players who actually play hockey for a living at a high level, and not bums from the local tier-14 beer hockey league?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Splatman Phanutier said:
How about players who actually play hockey for a living at a high level, and not bums from the local tier-14 beer hockey league?

Exactly. The players who played in the NHL last year were playing for a living at a high level- replacement players will be from the beer leagues

Phanuthier*

reckoning said:
Exactly. The players who played in the NHL last year were playing for a living at a high level- replacement players will be from the beer leagues
I didn't realize the AHL was a beer league.

YellHockey*

The Messenger said:
Ever see anyone wearing a CANCER RESEARCH T-Shirt ??

Ever see an NHL owner do any charity work? And I don't mean mandatory community service.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
Ever see an NHL owner do any charity work? And I don't mean mandatory community service.
Your absolutely right...the players CBA stance is for the 'good of the game' and as if that wasn't enough, they are clearly morally superior.
Their martyrdom is truly legendary.
:shakehead

YellHockey*

guymez said:
Your absolutely right...the players CBA stance is for the 'good of the game' and as if that wasn't enough, they are clearly morally superior.

It's not hard to be morally superior to a group of NHL owners.

By the way, how many NHL players live in the Barbados to avoid paying taxes?

Phanuthier*

BlackRedGold said:
It's not hard to be morally superior to a group of NHL owners.

By the way, how many NHL players live in the Barbados to avoid paying taxes?
Which NHL owners live in Barbadoes and avoid paying taxes?

I wasn't aware you did the personal taxes for one of the NHL owners

YellHockey*

Splatman Phanutier said:
Which NHL owners live in Barbadoes and avoid paying taxes?

Suspected horse cheat, Eugene Melnyk.

I wasn't aware you did the personal taxes for one of the NHL owners

I don't have to do their taxes to know that someone living in a tax haven isn't paying his share of Canadian taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad