Red Deer gives players the finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
yea I read this today. I think it shows the players that fans follow the team not the million dollar players. I fear a HUGE backlash towards the players when the NHL starts up again.

Too many fans are pissed at the players. I feel Hockey is not going to make a good comeback even if a deal is done soon. I also think that most of the posters here will go back to hockey but the more causal fan that hasn't been able to express their views in the media in some shape or form will be the ones that do not come back. (many older fans in my opinion.)

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
800 people?

:handclap: :lol: :yo: ... tough nuts for the players sucks for the charity ... maybe they'll donate more out of their pocket, to help sway public interest ... keep us posted

if that doesn't show that the fans are on the owners side, I don't know what does.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
im suprised this guy didnt actually talk to any of the fans for an article talking about what the fans are doing or thinking.

but i guess this isnt the first time nobody thought about the fans during the lockout.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
FreshBrew said:
im suprised this guy didnt actually talk to any of the fans for an article talking about what the fans are doing or thinking.

but i guess this isnt the first time nobody thought about the fans during the lockout.

Couldn’t have said it better myself

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
...and yet a day earlier, some portly NHL old timers nearly sold out the building. What does that tell you?

It tells me that without the NHL logo and tradition, the 'best players in the world' (after all these were NHLers) aren't quite the draw that they think they are.

It's no free pass for the NHL to think that replacement players will be any sort of smashing success, but it should drive home the point that the NHL and NHLPA need each other. Without the one, the other is greatly diminished.

ResidentAlien*

Joe_Strummer said:
800 people?

:handclap: :lol: :yo: ... tough nuts for the players sucks for the charity ... maybe they'll donate more out of their pocket, to help sway public interest ... keep us posted

if that doesn't show that the fans are on the owners side, I don't know what does.

it's not that at all....it was 2 for 1 short stack night at the IHOP...duh

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lets not Forget American Idol and the Amazing Race were on TV Tuesday Night..

Hockey Fans have found others ways to fill their time ..

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The MTS Centre here in Wpg holds approx. 15,000 people and they've already sold it out for Friday night.....

Ok, not quite all of it ... they've closed off approx. 8,000 of the seats (upper deck and the section 200 ring of seats) and there are still some good seats left ... you can still get Centre ice row 15 and up and pretty much anything from the blueline back....

Ok, so my sons 7/8's playoff game sold better on the weekend!!! And you know what?? I bet I saw a better effort out of these kids ... and not one of them complained about the free hot chocolate they got at the end of the game as compensation!!! :D :yo: :handclap:

Sorry Ryan. It was a good cause, and the guys who're participating seem to be some of the genuine good guys we always hear about, but the timing really sucks. Try again in August once you've sucked it up and (I hope) accepted the 1.3 mill per the owners are offerring you guys and perhaps then you'll see a more significant offering of an olive branch.....

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Messenger said:

Yes, they have.

And if that doesn't terrify both sides of this sad excuse of 'negotiations', it damn well should.

Lanny MacDonald*

I'm still waiting for one of the usual suspects to pipe up and say what a great position the players are in and just how well received the WHA of NHLPAHL is going to be. If this, with the backing of a major charitable cause, does not get support the players are dead in the water for good. As I said in another thread and got attacked by the usual suspects, "People cheer for the laundry, not the clowns who wear it!"

mooseOAK*

People want to watch hockey games where there is something on the line and not a bunch of guys playing shinny.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rydified said:
They are coming to Regina tomorrow, and i'm going to support what they are doing for charity.

You could just take the money you would spend on tickets and give it directly to the charity. You could even add on the amount you would spend for a couple of beers.

Just a thought. :)

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
wazee said:
You could just take the money you would spend on tickets and give it directly to the charity. You could even add on the amount you would spend for a couple of beers.

And probably get a tax reciept to boot!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Rydified said:
They are coming to Regina tomorrow, and i'm going to support what they are doing for charity.
And on top of it, none of your money will have to go to "covering the costs" of the hockey game and the charity will get ALL the money.

Lanny MacDonald*

Rydified said:

So write a big fat check to the Canadian Cancer Society and stay home. The charity wins and the big message gets sent to the rightful recipients.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
wazee said:

Agreed. Give the money directly to the charity instead of attending the game. Or if you must attend the game, at least make a sign that reads something like "I support (insert charity here), NOT the NHLPA". :)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Benji Frank said:
The MTS Centre here in Wpg holds approx. 15,000 people and they've already sold it out for Friday night.....

Ok, not quite all of it ... they've closed off approx. 8,000 of the seats (upper deck and the section 200 ring of seats) and there are still some good seats left ... you can still get Centre ice row 15 and up and pretty much anything from the blueline back....

Ok, so my sons 7/8's playoff game sold better on the weekend!!! And you know what?? I bet I saw a better effort out of these kids ... and not one of them complained about the free hot chocolate they got at the end of the game as compensation!!! :D :yo: :handclap:

Sorry Ryan. It was a good cause, and the guys who're participating seem to be some of the genuine good guys we always hear about, but the timing really sucks. Try again in August once you've sucked it up and (I hope) accepted the 1.3 mill per the owners are offerring you guys and perhaps then you'll see a more significant offering of an olive branch.....

I heard on CJOB that ticket sales were so poor in Winnipeg they are doing a 2 for 1 deal. And as of a few days ago there were only a couple hundred tickets sold.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
jwr38 said:
yea I read this today. I think it shows the players that fans follow the team not the million dollar players. I fear a HUGE backlash towards the players when the NHL starts up again.

Too many fans are pissed at the players. I feel Hockey is not going to make a good comeback even if a deal is done soon. I also think that most of the posters here will go back to hockey but the more causal fan that hasn't been able to express their views in the media in some shape or form will be the ones that do not come back. (many older fans in my opinion.)
I second that

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

The Messenger said:

I think Vancouver needs to hire Simon as our new head coach.

"Malik, that performance belongs in a dirty empty cabaret in the boonies of the Czech Republic."

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think I'd take the opposite view. I'd be MORE afraid if I was the NHL and events like this couldn't catch a cold in the absolute heart of our market. I wouldn't expect these types of events to have a substantial draw in most of the US, as there aren't the "local boys done good" to use as a draw. You would think that the hard core fans in Alberta would turn out to see the local guys that made it to the NHL.

Like someone else said - people won't pay to see shinny. Unless there's something on the line, people don't want to see some great atheletes just skating around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
ODC said:
I think Vancouver needs to hire Simon as our new head coach.

"Malik, that performance belongs in a dirty empty cabaret in the boonies of the Czech Republic."
Or for those who watched yesterdays show ...

Simon Cowell ..." Hiring Bettman is like odering a Guard Dog and getting a Poddle in a Leather Jacket ..to run the NHL " ..

He too wants to dress up the small market teams in Leather Jackets to make them look competetive compared to the Big Boys of the NHL, and fool the fans into thinking this is the best strategy .. . . ** Lowest possible Cap with no Revenue Sharing **

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->