Recruiting (ncaa style) in major junior

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Cant speak for the whl or ohl, but for the Q im tired of the draft drama, always the ncaa card bla bla... So why not have recruiting like in the ncaa 15-16 years old will choose where they are going to play and not manager who want to make some money with it

insider

Nov 14, 2003
No. Won't work. Which Quebecer wants to go play in St Johns, Bathurst or Lewiston? These three teams would have a major handicap, and teams like Quebec and Rimouski will dominate.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Yeah, what Quebecer would want to play for the reigning QMJHL champs? What Quebecer would want to play in a New Brunswick city with a French-speaking majority? :shakehead

I think he's talking about if you leveled the playing field and totally wiped out all the teams. If each team had 0 players and had to recruit enough guys to field a team, teams like Quebec would dominate because more kids would want to play in their hometown and teams like Lewiston would flounder because most kids wouldn't want to move to Maine to play hockey.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Yeah, what Quebecer would want to play for the reigning QMJHL champs? What Quebecer would want to play in a New Brunswick city with a French-speaking majority? :shakehead

You can say whatever you want, but he's right. Most players would go to teams like Quebec. Do you really think guys would want to play of Rouyn-Noranda, Val d'Or, Victoriaville...? It's already pretty bad as it is, it would become just ridiculous.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
You can say the same about Atlantic players going to quebec players go to quebec ,halifax and other places because they will get the best,the best rinks rather than those **** holes in Quebec like Val dor,victoriaville and Rouyn.

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I dunno, seems to me there have always been players trying to manipulate the system, as long as I've followed junior hockey. These days NCAA threats work nicely, but it used to be players would state flat out they won't go play in this or that city and if you draft me you'll just have to trade me. It has pretty much been par for the course, for the 3 decades I've followed the OHL. I don't find it becoming any more or less common these days.

And I also don't think anything needs to be done about it. I mean, we're already taking thousands of 16-17 year old players and putting them through some fairly non-ideal life situations packing them off to live in cities away from their families, etc. I don't think it's wrong for some tiny fraction of them to fight the system to whatever extent they can. They do have options.

Recruiting might be too drastic, or at least too much change all at once for the CHL, but in some ways it probably would be better. Although of course there are points to argue in either direction. For now, the players can exercise some degree of choice, and I fully support any player or family who does. It's their life.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I think he's talking about if you leveled the playing field and totally wiped out all the teams. If each team had 0 players and had to recruit enough guys to field a team, teams like Quebec would dominate because more kids would want to play in their hometown and teams like Lewiston would flounder because most kids wouldn't want to move to Maine to play hockey.

That's exactly what I meant. And no, most quebecers don't want to come to Bathurst. I live here, I'm not dissing it! Fact is, we've had players quit on us because they were homesick. With recruiting, we get Luc Bourdon. That's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->