Rebuild Thread - thoughts, emotions, ideas

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
All rebuild related talk here.

We have no idea where this rebuild is going. It could take years, it could take a summer. With a healthy EK on your team you have a legit chance at the Cup every year, if he gets traded we are starting over in every sense - talent wise, leadership wise, marketing, community, trust with the fan base will have to be rebuilt.

#1 priority for Dorion is to get people with integrity and who are respected league wise, to help set a standard of professionalism the club has been missing for a long time, to build trust with the players, rebuild the brand in the community and make Ottawa a destination.

My first move would be to replace Guy Boucher with Luke Richardson. Luke understands the challenges with ownership, he knows the players on the team, he knows management, he's as respected a hockey man as they come....and maybe he bring Tavares with him. He also coached up some of our best players, is a Dman on a team rebuilding it's D, he'll bring in good people and the city and Luke Richardson are already on a 1st name basis.

No screwing around, give him a 5 year contract just to create some stability. Let Luke's values, work ethic and intelligence become the DNA of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If we aren't going all in(money wise) with Karlsson over the next decade, I say let Karlsson go(trade) and start the team with a clean slate.

Lower expectations and reassure the fans that we will spend again when required. I think the fans as a whole need a reset but thats not happening without the Owner regaining his respect from the fanbase. He needs to do something serious about this. Even the casual fans, of all ages, I know are done with him.

Boucher has to go. He's creating boring hockey thats just too dull to sit through at times. We're getting the negatives of trap hockey without the benefits. And the powerplay... My Alfie.

I think watching the process of building a team up from the ground is a fun experience to go through. I want to see the growth. Its the payoff watching through many losses.

Its more fun when im watching a hockey team and not watching a business.

Reactions: Deku

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
More like ..

Guy Boucher stays

Dorion trades Karlsson for picks hopefully a lottery pick + young NHL ready players

Draft one of Dahlin Svechnikov Zadina Walhlstrom Tkachuk etc

Buyout Burrows Gaborik

Play as much youth as possible and grow a young fast skilled team

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you want to rebuild it will start with Karlsson's future. If he goes , then the other dominos will fall. Might as well get what you can for Duchene, Stone and Hoffman and hope that a rebuild works, which is a 10% chance of that happening.

For every Pittsburgh, there are ten Edmontons.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More like ..

Guy Boucher stays

Dorion trades Karlsson for picks hopefully a lottery pick + young NHL ready players

Buyout Burrows Gaborik

Try to recoup at least 1 2019 1st round pick in this mix. If they trade Karlsson, I would say trade both Smith and Hoffman.. otherwise trade Smith. Try to get rid of Ryan's contract

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It’s a stupid idea and only serves to cut costs. Either that or Melnyk needs a lobotomy.

Let’s take a look at our core (and future core) players.

Duchene: 27 years old
Stone: 25
Hoffman: 28
Karlsson: 28
Chabot: 21

+ most likely a top 5 pick this year

There is fat to trim, sure, but it’s a solid foundation if you can draft and develop correctly.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
More like ..

Guy Boucher stays

Buyout Burrows Gaborik

Pretty much. I could see EK being traded in a three team deal come draft day, where somehow we end up with two top 7 picks. Likely Dahlin and Tkackuck or Wahlstrom.

Probably trade Ryan with EK. And maybe Zack Smith.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Get rid of Boucher and get Benoit Groulx or Dominique Ducharme as the new head coach. Also wouldn't be opposed to Crawford getting some HC time.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
A five year contract to Luke Richardson? Are you insane in the old membrane?

What respected coach is going to walk into this mess where they won’t last past 100 games? He needs the security.

My gut tells me it might be Michel Therrien.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let’s take a look at our core (and future core) players.

Duchene: 27 years old
Stone: 25
Hoffman: 28
Karlsson: 28
Chabot: 21

+ most likely a top 5 pick this year

There is fat to trim, sure, but it’s a solid foundation if you can draft and develop correctly.

Exactly

Add Top-5 pick, Brown, Batherson, White, Chlapik, Formenton, Jaros, Wolanin, Gustavsson/Hogberg and you really don’t need a rebuild. Also adding Pageau and Ceci who are young and can be good supporting players

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
If you want to rebuild it will start with Karlsson's future. If he goes , then the other dominos will fall. Might as well get what you can for Duchene, Stone and Hoffman and hope that a rebuild works, which is a 10% chance of that happening.

For every Pittsburgh, there are ten Edmontons.

The ratio of teams that are awful but get good through high draft picks (Pittsburgh) to teams that draft high year after year without getting good (Edmonton) is not 10:1 (I know it is backwards, but on mobile it is a pain to use copy paste to fix it).

Reactions: Cosmix

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
A new coach might help, but that is a non-starter. He's PD's boy & won't go unless next year starts out as a cluster-fnck. The current roster is either not good enough, or can't play the coach's system. Since the coach isn't leaving anytime soon, some significant roster changes need to occur. Obviously, any free agent signing will be a bottom six player. Top 6 players will have to come from a trade as I don't think any of our prospects are ready for that role. In order to get quality, we'll have to trade quality such as a good old hockey trade. Keeping EK makes sense up until the point where his offense can't make up for his negative +/-. I'm worried that we won't get any value for him in second half of a long term deal. However there might be possibility to flip him to a contender (if not us) later like the Bruins did for Ray Bourque. I'm willing to consider offers on pretty much anyone else if the deal works for us.

PD is still green, and you know that he gets excited when starts pumping up players. Unfortunately, this excitement may cause him to be impulsive or hasty when it comes to trades. Hopefully he's taken some time to reflect on how his trades and signings have worked out so that becomes a better GM. I think that most of us agree that he has a pretty good eye on judging young players, so he's got that going for him.

Although there's no playoffs in store for the Sens this spring, I am keenly interested on what moves the team will make between now and October. We all need something to look forward to!

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A new coach might help, but that is a non-starter. He's PD's boys won't go unless next year starts out as a cluster-fnck. The current roster is either not good enough, or can't play the coach's system. Since the coach isn't leaving anytime soon, some significant roster changes need to occur. Obviously, any free agent signing will be a bottom six player. Top 6 players will have to come from a trade as I don't think any of our prospects are ready for that role. In order to get quality, we'll have to trade quality such as a good old hockey trade. Keeping EK makes sense up until the point where his offense can't make up for his negative +/-. I'm worried that we won't get any value for him in second half of a long term deal. However there might be possibility to flip him to a contender (if not us) later like the Bruins did for Ray Bourque. I'm willing to consider offers on pretty much anyone else if the deal works for us.

PD is still green, and you know that he gets excited when starts pumping up players. Unfortunately, this excitement may cause him to be impulsive or hasty when it comes to trades. Hopefully he's taken some time to reflect on how his trades and signings have worked out so that becomes a better GM. I think that most of us agree that he has a pretty good eye on judging young players, so he's got that going for him.

Although there's no playoffs in store for the Sens this spring, I am keenly interested on what moves the team will make between now and October. We all need something to look forward to!

I am looking forward to the draft, then the prospects camp, then the rookie tournament, then the battle for roster spots in training camp. The team has some prospects that I hope will develop and do well: White, Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Jaros, Gagne, Englund, Wolanin, Summers, Lajoie. But I still think the team will be a bubble team at best.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Exactly

Add Top-5 pick, Brown, Batherson, White, Chlapik, Formenton, Jaros, Wolanin, Gustavsson/Hogberg and you really don’t need a rebuild. Also adding Pageau and Ceci who are young and can be good supporting players
I agree.

If that top 5 pick is Dahlin, well that changes things real quick haha. It would be a Matthews type situation (if the hype is to be believed).

(eventually, and optimistically)

Batherson-Duchene-Hoffman

Stone-Brown-Chlapik

Formenton-White-Nurmi

Ahl- Pageau- Paul

Defence

Hey, if we draft Dahlin and keep Karlsson, this would be nice, no? :nod:

Karlsson-Dahlin

Chabot-Wolanin

Summers-Jaros (trade ceci to seattle)

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Also we traded for The Monster. Gustavsssssssooooonnn, the most important position, kind of. (exceptions, centre)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What respected coach is going to walk into this mess where they won’t last past 100 games? He needs the security.

My gut tells me it might be Michel Therrien.

You don’t give a rookie coach a five year contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->