Rebirth of Russian Hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Now, I always cheer for Russia after Canada... I don't know why - I just like the players and their style. But anyways. With all the adversity and problems this team has had already, if Russia were to some how actually play with heart this time around I think it would really be a boost to Russia's hockey program. They've dominated the Junior ranks for quite some time -but they've seriously lacked heart in most major competitions.

Does anybody else think that what has happened could actually be a boost to the Russian players who go, and that Russia could re-establish itself as Canada's rival for hockey supremecy?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While Russian NHLers don't seem to be interested in representing their country, Russia itself doesn't seem to have any problems developing young talent. As far as restablishing themselves as rivals to Canadian supremacy, I don't think they need to. Guys like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Zherdev, Kostitsyn, etc etc would seem to indicate that there is nothing wrong over there.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I think Russia is currently in a transition period. Their problem right now in international competitions is many of their top players still harbour angry feelings left over from the days of the Soviet Union and the way they were treated, and really I can't blame them. Once the new wave of Russian stars are the veterans and leaders of the team, and there is no bitterness left from the days of Tihkonov and the Soviet system, things will improve for Russia.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Stephen said:
While Russian NHLers don't seem to be interested in representing their country, Russia itself doesn't seem to have any problems developing young talent. As far as restablishing themselves as rivals to Canadian supremacy, I don't think they need to. Guys like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Zherdev, Kostitsyn, etc etc would seem to indicate that there is nothing wrong over there.

They're probably developing the most skilled players, I know. That wasn't my point. I mean in major international competition.

Good point though Epsilon - and do you not think that alot of those who would be/are bitter aren't there? There are alot more young guys in there.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
All the former Soviet countries are in transition. Russia is doing a good job of producing young stars that should compete with them down the road. Ukraine and Belarus are slowly but surely creating their own prospects, and developing them in their own back yard. My prediction is look for Belarus and Ukraine to take big strides in becoming an elite hockey country down the road...

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
It was a warm up game... I seriously wouldn't put too much faith in the outcome, even though I am shocked that it ended a draw, Russia will come out when the tourney begins for real... They are still too talented (even with the depleted line up) a team to lose to Germany (or even tie). I know Germany is getting better, but they aren't going to beat Russia when the chips are down IMO.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I don't see why people are so shocked that the Germans can play a close game against Russia. They almost took a tie out of Canada in 2002, in a game that only ended 3-2.

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
I've always been a fan of Russian(Soviet) hockey. I have never counted them out of international games. When the talent exists it wills a way to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->