Confirmed with Link: Reaves+'18 4th to VGK from PIT, for T Lindberg (part of 3-team trade)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Come on dumb question. Of course the Pens because we would be in the finals. You are just temporarily insane over this deal that is so minor to the team. It doesn't prevent any further moves and it didn't move the needle either way. If VGK didn't do this I am sure Pens would have found another party willing to work with cap space which isn't hard to find at this point of the year for a relatively small dollar amount of retention.

Five teams with most cap space:

Arizona -- don't have the $$ to spare; nickle and diming to save $$
Carolina -- new owner; may not have a lot of excess cash right now, especially being out of the playoffs for years
Edmonton -- doesn't seem like owner Katz would be interested in that
Colorado -- doesn't seem like something they'd be interested in doing either
Vegas -- Foley willing to go all in (this season), but how much more would he be willing to spend (for assets to take cap/salary hit)

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Come on dumb question. Of course the Pens because we would be in the finals. You are just temporarily insane over this deal that is so minor to the team. It doesn't prevent any further moves and it didn't move the needle either way. If VGK didn't do this I am sure Pens would have found another party willing to work with cap space which isn't hard to find at this point of the year for a relatively small dollar amount of retention.
Was a badly asked question, but I will say I think there is more value for Vegas in Brasard going to Winnipeg than going to Pittsburgh. The earliest we will see the Jets is the 3rd round... I don't see them falling to a Wild Card spot. Even with Brasard I don't see them getting past Nashville, but he will wear down Nashville even more making it easier for us in the Western Finals should we get that far.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Really, I see Perron getting shoved around every game. I don't whether you don't watch the western teams too often or maybe you have more faith in humanity than I do, but if the Knights match up against LA, AnA, Cal., or Winnipeg, they all have players that have a history of running goalies. If I was a player, I'd risk a 2 or 5 minute penalty to run a goalie, not sure I'd risk a broken orbital bone though. I think this move is foreshadowing who we might face in the playoffs, probably Winnipeg.

If we face Winnipeg it will be in the western conference finals unless you believe that they will be a wildcard team. If you're scared of those teams then call GMGM and have him get Matt Cooke. That will take care of any team wanting to mess with them physically as he'll just end someone's career in game 1 of the series.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Vegas -- Foley willing to go all in (this season), but how much more would he be willing to spend (for assets to take cap/salary hit)
Seriously, you ask how much more?

We have spent not far under $68 million and have just over $7 million before the cap ceiling.

Do you doubt that the 73-year-old billionaire who started out investing on the stock market, and who has stated numerous times he'd like to see the team win the cup in his lifetime, would do whatever the GM with the stellar record so far says needs to be done?

I think the deadline deals ENTIRELY rest in the hands of GM George McPhee.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

We have spent not far under $68 million and have just over $7 million before the cap ceiling.

Do you doubt that the 73-year-old billionaire who started out investing on the stock market, and who has stated numerous times he'd like to see the team win the cup in his lifetime, would do whatever the GM with the stellar record so far says needs to be done?

Ask caps fans what they think of McPhee. Every single one of them thinks he's a moron. I also believe he's been given too much credit. He's made good deals, but I give credit to the scouting department for giving him the information on who to go after. Before the season started, most people would have had GMGM in the bottom 5 of all GMs. He's not the genius that new fans think he is. He's probably somewhere in the middle or bottom third based on his entire career.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Ask caps fans what they think of McPhee. Every single one of them thinks he's a moron.
:nono:

I have been a Caps fan since Washington stole Rod Langway away from Montreal. I was a teenager then, and a defenseman in minor hockey, and my two favorite dmen were Larry "Big Bird" Robinson and Rod Langway, though Ken Dryden was my earliest hero I recall.

Us Caps fans have been hugely DIVIDED on McPhee. But I could gladly marshall a dozen supporters of McPhee from the Caps board. But to make it worth my time and theirs for your flippant comment, I'd need you to pony up some humble pie.

Chiripa20

May 29, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
If Leipsic could finish of his chances, he is 100x more valuable to this team than Reaves is. Lindberg and Matteau while not flashy and in Lindbergs case has been a disappointment fit in with the way this team plays. Our forward play a similar game to Pittsburgh and Reaves was a failed experement there, I see no reason that changes here. Reaves negatives lie in the fact that his game, is not compatible with our game, to put him in the line up we are losing the effectiveness not only of the person he replaces, the the two other players on his line. If it becomes moot and we don't play Reaves this trade becomes even worse, we retained salary, we took a cap dump and gave up T. Lindberg for a 4th.... Anyway you look at it the return Vegas received from this trade was awful and I'm not going to apologize for pointing that out.
“IF Leipsic could” I have seen potential with him as well, but even pulling out his pea shooter shot and short stick limited moves offense, Reaves over #13 IS a solid improvement with this trade alone....much more so, if we are talking playoffs.
There is very little down side to this move and several smaller improvements collectively, likely.
Low risk, big support/thank you to our more skilled players.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

About Foley.

The fact that he was personally in the expansion draft and often shows up with the team tells me he has a huge passion for the project. GMGM might have 100% decision over the deadline deals, but in the draft Foley was heavily involved. He is the mastermind behind this all. I think the "we only wanted to hire good people" is not something McPhee would come up with either.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In the behind the scenes TV show, did not see Foley in the room with scouts working on expansion draft picks. Don't think he was involved much more than reading names for announcement.

hangman005

Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well we are going to find out if the Reaves experiment is going to work... if you haven’t guessed by now I have my doubts. Better to do it now we have a massive lead in the division than in the playoffs when it counts.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Well we are going to find out if the Reaves experiment is going to work... if you haven’t guessed by now I have my doubts. Better to do it now we have a massive lead in the division than in the playoffs when it counts.
Probably a good idea.

Let’s not forget what the initial reception of the expansion draft was, and that worked out.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

If we just think of it as he's taking Matteau's spot, who was taking PEB's spot then it all seems much more palatable. No use getting worked up over it. I'm just hoping GMGM is still working the phones and seeing what he can do further. That 4th could get some useful depth tomorrow.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Is Carpenter sitting out or did they move him up to the 3rd line?

Well considering who his skating with I don't think any of us will shed tears if Leipsic or Lindberg sits. Maybe they will put Eakin on the wing with Carpy and Nosek. Also we'll have to see what they do in the Tuesday game when Hyka should be back. I'm thinking if he dresses for back to back games this weekend they aren't going to play him on Monday night.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016

Dude, I'm just happy that you haven't jumped off the Hoover dam yet.

hangman005

Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well considering who his skating with I don't think any of us will shed tears if Leipsic or Lindberg sits. Maybe they will put Eakin on the wing with Carpy and Nosek. Also we'll have to see what they do in the Tuesday game when Hyka should be back. I'm thinking if he dresses for back to back games this weekend they aren't going to play him on Monday night.
Eakins sole redeeming feature is he can play as a center, if we’re moving him to the wing I’d rather leipsic or Lindberg... though I’m biased for leipsic but he does do everything but finish off his chances

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
:nono:

I have been a Caps fan since Washington stole Rod Langway away from Montreal. I was a teenager then, and a defenseman in minor hockey, and my two favorite dmen were Larry "Big Bird" Robinson and Rod Langway, though Ken Dryden was my earliest hero I recall.

Us Caps fans have been hugely DIVIDED on McPhee. But I could gladly marshall a dozen supporters of McPhee from the Caps board. But to make it worth my time and theirs for your flippant comment, I'd need you to pony up some humble pie.

I run the largest independent Washington Nationals (formally Expos) board with thousands of users and there has been polls about McPhee in the off topic section and the highest amount of supporters in his last 4 years was 18% to not fire him. In the year he was fired, only 2% voted no. Before this season started, other fanbases all mocked McPhee as one of the worst GM's in the league. I suspect that the erat trade has a big part of it, but also because of the caps early exits didn't help.

I'm not ready to crown him as I believe the scouts are the true behind the scenes heroes. We'll see after 5 years if McPhee can shed his rep as bad GM. Part of his job is to make the team better for a playoff run and if he thinks Reaves is the piece of the missing puzzle then he's still stupid.

Carp, Nosek,and Tuch should be on the 3rd line. Nosek on the Reaves line makes no sense.

I guarantee he gets into a fight with the kings (I'm picking Brown) to gain support and all of the stupid new to hockey fans in Vegas will eat it up.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Honestly, this deal is a head scratcher for me. I wasn’t impressed with Reaves this season and it appears GMJR knew that the experiment wasn’t working and atoned for his mistake.
Maybe he’ll be a better fit with the Knights but I’m not certain he will. I’m guessing the plan is to play him more than 6 minutes a game.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->