Really, really controversial draft (WITH TRADES)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

All right, I had 45, then realized something dropped it to 44:

1/ Washington Capitals- Alexander Ovechkin

2/ Pittsburgh Penguins-Evengi Malkin

3/ Columbus Blue Jackets (from Chicago) - Cam Barker
(Columbus trades the 4th overall, a 3rd round draft pick, and a forward to the Blackhawks for the 3rd overall)

4/ Chicago Blackhawks- Rostislav Olesz
(Columbus trades the 4th overall, a 3rd round draft pick, and a forward to the Blackhawks for the 3rd overall)

5/ Phoenix Coyotes- Andrew Ladd

6/ New York Rangers- Robbie Schremp

7/ Florida Panthers- Lauri Tukonen

8/ Carolina Hurricanes- AJ Thelen

9/ Nashville Predators (from Anaheim Mighty Ducks)- Drew Stafford
(Nashville trades their 1st overall (15th overall) , Kevin Klein + Libor Pivko to Anaheim for the 9th overall)

10/ Atlanta Thrashers- Mike Green

11/ Los Angeles Kings- Al Montoya

12/ Washington Capitals (from Minnesota Wild)- Wes O'Neill
(Washington trades Detroit's 1st (30th overall) and Boston's 1st (27th overall), and the 33rd overall
to Minnesota for their 12th overall and the 42nd overall)

13/ Tampa Bay Lightning (from Buffalo Sabres)- Marek Schwarz
(Tampa Bay Lightning trade their 1st (29th overall), their 2nd, and Gerard DiCaire to the Buffalo Sabres for the 13th overall)

14/ Edmonton Oilers- Wojtech Wolski

15/ Anaheim Might Ducks (from Nashville Predators)- Kyle Chipchura
(Nashville trades their 1st overall (15th overall) , Kevin Klein + Libor Pivko to Anaheim for the 9th overall)

16/ New York Islanders- Boris Valabik

17/ St. Louis Blues- Alexander Radulov

18/ Montreal Canadians- Adam Berti

19/ Calgary Flames- Alexander Picard

20/ Dallas Stars- Johan Fransson

21/ Colorado Avalanche- Roman Voloshenko

22/ New Jersey Devils- Jakub Sindel

23/ Edmonton Oilers- Devon Dubynk

24/ Vancouver Canucks- Enver Linsin

25/ Ottawa Senators- Lukas Kaspar

26/ New York Rangers- Ladislav Smid

27/ Minnesota Wild (from Washington Capitals)- David Bolland
(Washington trades Detroit's 1st (30th overall) and Boston's 1st (27th overall), and the 33rd overall
to Minnesota for their 12th overall and the 42rd overall)

28/ San Jose Sharks- Kirill Lyamin

29/ Buffalo Sabres (from Tampa Bay Lightning)- Oscar Hedman
(Tampa Bay Lightning trade their 1st (29th overall), their 2nd, and Gerard DiCaire to the Buffalo Sabres for the 13th overall)

30/ Minnesota Wild (from Washington Capitals)- Sami Lepsito
to Minnesota for their 12th overall and the 42nd overall)

31/ Pittsburgh Penguins- Travis Zajac

32/ Chicago Blackhawks- Vaclav Meidel

33/ Minnesota Wild (from Washington)- Blake Wheeler

34/ Dallas Stars- Mark Fristric

35/ Phoenix Coyotes- David Shantz

36/ New York Rangers- Carl Soderberg

37/ New York Rangers- Evan McGrath

38/ Carolina Hurricanes- Justin Peters

39/ Anaheim Mighty Ducks- Ryan Garlock

40/ Atlanta Thrashers- Mike Funk

41/ Chicago Blackhawks- Adam Pineault

42/ Washington Capitals (from Minnesota)- Andrew Meszaros

43/ Buffalo Sabres- Jeff Schultz

44/ Edmonton Oilers- Peter Pohl

Reasons for the trades:

Chicago trading with Columbus is about as reasonable as the Penguins moving down because they are in the division but Columbus fears Chicago taking Barker and moves up, they overpay but they finally get a franchise defenseman. Reason instead of moving down because Columbus won't get Holmqvist and a 1st rounder from Tampa Bay for the 4th overall and other reasonable offers.

Nashville needs a center and Stafford is still on the board, I can see this because Anaheim gets an offensive defenseman (Nashville has loads of defenseman and they can pony up a defenseman) and still gets a center they need in Chipchura.

Minnesota moving down, I think this is beneficial for both Minnesota and Washington. Minnesota might flip 2nd rounders but Minnesota moves way down the board for Washington to either secure Wolski or O'Neill, I'll go with Wolski. Minnesota still gets a couple good players and secures Wheeler (a bit of a reach there) and might pony up the 73rd overall.

Tampa Bay moves up to grab Schwarz. They leapfrog Edmonton securing a franchise goaltender. They will have to give something else up probably to force Buffalo to go down to almost the last pick overall in the draft and they cough up a 2nd. What can Tampa Bay give?

That's basically it, I'm having a bit of a problem with the picks 15-40 :lol but bear with me, it's prelim...

Okay, well I changed somethings up, I still don't like some of the trades, I actually hate them now because I think some of the teams are overpaying.

The other problem I'm having is Voloshenko and Bolland seem a bit low...Am I wrong here...I was thinking about moving Soderberg down a bit and moving Voloshenko up.

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

True on that, I was thinking that Pittsburgh should get something more (like last year with Fleury...Martin Samualsson, Pittsburgh's 1st, and Pittsburgh's 3rd for the 1st overall). But to me, how much difference is there between Malkin and Olesz? I know it's pretty considerable but...

In a way it also kind of helps pittburghs with finances...

thestonedkoala

Thanks, I know the Pittsburgh trade really needs work but Columbus could really use Barker and I think they rather trade up, then down...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rostislav Olesz + 3rd round pick does not come close to Malkin . . . maybe in some drafts 2 to 4 for a third round pick is a possibility, it is only two spots, but in this draft that is a chasm . . .

how about chicago's pick (third) and a second rounder for the Cap's pick and AO? . . . that is about what you are predicting.

thestonedkoala

I think Olesz is a bit underrated especially since he got a concussion but I agree something else would come back, probably a prospect or another pick maybe in next year's draft.

1st (Olesz) + a 3rd + something for Malkin...

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Interesting mock. If Barker, Thelen and Ladd are gone MAYBE something similar can happen, but I don't think we need a Chipchura type of center. We already have enough centers which aren't exactly big point producers (except Feds).

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Very intuitive having the Habs pick Graham in the 1st round since they don't have a 2nd rounder this year. He could be the power forward they lack but is a real project and 18th overall might be a little high. Perhaps they could trade down and still be assured of getting Graham later on.

Or perhaps they could trade up and nab big nasty d-man Boris Valabik, this seems like a could year for defensemen and I think the Habs need physical presence in their own end just as much as they need it in the offensive zone.

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
thestonedkoala said:
I think Olesz is a bit underrated especially since he got a concussion but I agree something else would come back, probably a prospect or another pick maybe in next year's draft.

1st (Olesz) + a 3rd + something for Malkin...

Very good draft and read -- i think the only the way the pens would move down in the draft would be to ask for a guy like Klesla, a 3rd and the exchange of the first round picks. The jackets definately wouldnt do a scenerio like that and from what i read, Pittsburgh seems to be more than set on drafting Malkin (and they need a world class top center prospect)

I think chicago will draft Olesz and Cam will be on the board for Columbus

thestonedkoala

10.16.1974 said:
No way Anaheim does that...they just draft Stafford in that scenario, which would be fine by me.

The reason I'd say that is because Anaheim still gets a big center in Chipchura (who was at one time rated number 1 but has fallen down the charters) and probably a guy like Kevin Klein and maybe add in a low draft pick.

I think the BJs might be nervous enough to pull off a trade with the Penguins fearing that the Blackhawks might grab Barker instead of Olesz. That and the Penguins could look to move down simply because of financial issues and it is a good way of kind of skirting around production issues. If Olesz isn't as good as Malkin, then there might be a slight chance he might not hit all of his performance bonuses or something like that, or that they can offer him a little less because he was taken 4th instead of 3rd or something.

Marshall- I was thinking either Wolski or O'Neill and I guess O'Neill. Minnesota would benefit from moving down and taking two projects instead of one (in O'Neill) and moving up in the 2nd round to secure Wheeler (ala Irmen from last year) while giving up a high 1st rounder and a high 3rd rounder...

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
tripledekehockey said:
Very good draft and read -- i think the only the way the pens would move down in the draft would be to ask for a guy like Klesla, a 3rd and the exchange of the first round picks. The jackets definately wouldnt do a scenerio like that and from what i read, Pittsburgh seems to be more than set on drafting Malkin (and they need a world class top center prospect)

I think chicago will draft Olesz and Cam will be on the board for Columbus

Wow, I don't see Klesla moving at all. Barker is king, but... Columbus is very week at D.

Maybe a solid forward prospect or Switching the 3rd to a 2nd in 05 (which is a deeper draft). Columbus, just can't really take the chance that Chicago will pass on Barker.

Great read. Love the trades because it adds a little realism.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
thestonedkoala said:
I think the BJs might be nervous enough to pull off a trade with the Penguins fearing that the Blackhawks might grab Barker instead of Olesz. That and the Penguins could look to move down simply because of financial issues and it is a good way of kind of skirting around production issues. If Olesz isn't as good as Malkin, then there might be a slight chance he might not hit all of his performance bonuses or something like that, or that they can offer him a little less because he was taken 4th instead of 3rd or something...

I think that the flaw in the reasoning is that the financial issues are all blown out of proportion in the Pen's case . . . 'facts' sometimes lie and in this case that appears to be so . . . true we have no billionaire owner but we have a team that averaged I am guessing almost 12,500 (almost 12,000 this year, a bit more last) a game between last year and this despite ending up next to last and last in the standings.

The facts of letting players go for more cash than talent was only a small part caused by no millionaire owner, mostly it was caused by being ahead of the game with the new CBA coming up, and with not having a team that could compete anyways for a cup even paying all those salaries. They also were positioning themselves well for a lockout, and finally the year was a big dive done I think on purpose (hiring a guy right out of the broadcast booth with no hockey coaching experience even at the grade school level in Edzo - come on - they would have done better with Cherry). All made it look like thety are always teetering on bankruptcy but the fan support shows otherwise. Even in their heyday when they had the highest salaries they had just under 16,000 a game and sold out most, not that much of a difference. No cash problems are an illusion despite no billionaire ower, add in a new CBA and they could go from worst to first with all the talent they have coming in and up and adding shed big name players as teams struggle to come in under the Cap. No, the Pens did it right, and may be amoung the best positioned to thrive under a new hockey environment.

All the above is why their trading Malkin for financial concerns is laughable.

as a ps, if CBJ moved up they would take Malkin, not Barker . . .can not imagine otherwise. What I can see happening is a trade between Chicago and CBJ to give Barker to CBJ.

thestonedkoala

But what if the CBA doesn't go in the Pens favor?

And with all those new players coming in, you're going to have performance bonsuses, and what not. Penguins aren't in that bad of shape but...How bout retaining some of those talents?

I kind of look at the Fleury situation on moving the Pens down a bit too and it's not a huge move down.

I still think you underrate Olesz a bit, I mean yes Malkin is a better player than Olesz but Olesz is still a pretty damn good player.

That and if you get a guy like Johnson or a 2nd rounder next year or a combination of picks, I think the Pens might bite.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
thestonedkoala said:
The reason I'd say that is because Anaheim still gets a big center in Chipchura (who was at one time rated number 1 but has fallen down the charters) and probably a guy like Kevin Klein and maybe add in a low draft pick.

They don't need Chipchura, not to mention that Stafford is lighter years better, IMO, thus they could just draft a D-man with their high 2nd rounder and draft Stafford instead of helping out another team for no real reason.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
thestonedkoala said:
But what if the CBA doesn't go in the Pens favor?

And with all those new players coming in, you're going to have performance bonsuses, and what not. Penguins aren't in that bad of shape but...How bout retaining some of those talents?

I kind of look at the Fleury situation on moving the Pens down a bit too and it's not a huge move down.

I still think you underrate Olesz a bit, I mean yes Malkin is a better player than Olesz but Olesz is still a pretty damn good player.

That and if you get a guy like Johnson or a 2nd rounder next year or a combination of picks, I think the Pens might bite.

We can agree to disagree, as I said, I can see Chicago doing it much more than the Pens picking up perhaps a thrid rounder to not take Barker. The Pens have youth, and I am certain that any agreement with CBA impact will include rookie and 1-4 year player limits on salaries. Again, Pens very well situated. Money is far less an issue to them than it will be to most teams soon. And you still have not addressed why CBJ would take Barker over Malkin.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
I really like the Oiler's picks.
With Wolski we get a potential high scoring winger...and we're still able to nab a high end goalie prospect in Dubnyk. Addresses two of the Oiler's needs.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
All right, I had 45, then realized something dropped it to 44:

1/ Washington Capitals- Alexander Ovechkin

2/ Pittsburgh Penguins-Evengi Malkin

3/ Columbus Blue Jackets (from Chicago) - Cam Barker

4/ Chicago Blackhawks- Rostislav Olesz

5/ Phoenix Coyotes- Andrew Ladd

6/ New York Rangers- Robbie Schremp

7/ Florida Panthers- Lauri Tukonen

8/ Carolina Hurricanes- AJ Thelen

9/ Nashville Predators (from Anaheim Mighty Ducks)- Drew Stafford

10/ Atlanta Thrashers- Mike Green

11/ Los Angeles Kings- Al Montoya

12/ Washington Capitals (from Minnesota Wild)- Wes O'Neill
to Minnesota for their 12th overall and the 72rd overall)

13/ Tampa Bay Lightning (from Buffalo Sabres)- Marek Schwarz

14/ Edmonton Oilers- Wojtech Wolski

15/ Anaheim Might Ducks (from Nashville Predators)- Kyle Chipchura

16/ New York Islanders- Boris Valabik

17/ St. Louis Blues- Alexander Radulov

18/ Montreal Canadians- Bruce Graham

19/ Calgary Flames- Alexander Picard

20/ Dallas Stars- Johan Fransson

21/ Colorado Avalanche- Johannes Salmonsson

22/ New Jersey Devils- Jakub Sindel

23/ Edmonton Oilers- Devon Dubynk

24/ Vancouver Canucks- Enver Linsin

25/ Ottawa Senators- Lukas Kaspar

26/ New York Rangers- Ladislav Smid

27/ Minnesota Wild (from Washington Capitals)- Brian Bickell

28/ San Jose Sharks- Kirill Lyamin

29/ Buffalo Sabres (from Tampa Bay Lightning)- David Bolland

30/ Minnesota Wild (from Washington Capitals)- Oscar Hedman

31/ Pittsburgh Penguins- Travis Zajac

32/ Chicago Blackhawks- Vaclav Meidel

33/ Minnesota Wild (from Washington)- Blake Wheeler

34/ Dallas Stars- Sami Lepisto

35/ Phoenix Coyotes- David Shantz

36/ New York Rangers- Carl Soderberg

37/ New York Rangers- Evan McGrath

38/ Carolina Hurricanes- Mark Fistric

39/ Anaheim Mighty Ducks- Andrew Meszaros

40/ Atlanta Thrashers- Mike Funk

41/ Chicago Blackhawks- Adam Pineault

42/ Minnesota Wild- Peter Pohl

43/ Buffalo Sabres- Ryan Garlock

44/ Edmonton Oilers- Roman Voloshenko

Reasons for the trades:

Chicago trading with Columbus is about as reasonable as the Penguins moving down because they are in the division but Columbus fears Chicago taking Barker and moves up, they overpay but they finally get a franchise defenseman. Reason instead of moving down because Columbus won't get Holmqvist and a 1st rounder from Tampa Bay for the 4th overall and other reasonable offers.

Nashville needs a center and Stafford is still on the board, I can see this because Anaheim gets an offensive defenseman (Nashville has loads of defenseman and they can pony up a defenseman) and still gets a center they need in Chipchura.

Minnesota moving down, I think this is beneficial for both Minnesota and Washington. Minnesota might flip 2nd rounders but Minnesota moves way down the board for Washington to either secure Wolski or O'Neill, I'll go with Wolski. Minnesota still gets a couple good players and secures Wheeler (a bit of a reach there) and might pony up the 73rd overall.

Tampa Bay moves up to grab Schwarz. They leapfrog Edmonton securing a franchise goaltender. They will have to give something else up probably to force Buffalo to go down to almost the last pick overall in the draft and they cough up a 2nd. What can Tampa Bay give?

That's basically it, I'm having a bit of a problem with the picks 15-40 :lol but bear with me, it's prelim...

Okay, well I changed somethings up, I still don't like some of the trades, I actually hate them now because I think some of the teams are overpaying.

It's always easy to take pot shots at someone who deviates, even slightly, from the "consensus" picks. So, take my criticism with a grain of salt.

Like the other Ducks fans who have opined on the subject, I just can't see the Ducks passing on Drew Stafford. I'll be disappointed if they don't wind up with either Stafford, Ladd or Thelen.

I'll admit that I don't know much about the two prospects from Nashville that you've thrown in the deal, but I'd want a awfully good prospect to move from 9th to 15th. It's quality, not quantity, that I'd be looking for.

As for some of your other picks, I'd be shocked if Radulov "fell" to 17th overall. I've seen some talk that the Hawks are considering taking him at #3. I'm not saying that is going to happen, but I'd be shocked if he didn't go in the top 10 or 12.

Perhaps I don't know enough about Picard, but I don't think he's a "Sutter-type" player. Can someone who has seen him play let me know if I'm off the mark?

I thought I read somewhere that Samuelsson has re-injured his wrist. If so, I think he'll fall out of the First Round entirely.

I don't think that Lisin will be around at # 24, either.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I applaud this mock. :handclap:
We have a lot of time to kill until the draft. It's nice to see some people trying some different things instead of seeing a lot of recycling of the same mocks over and over.

That said, if, as has been discussed here, Columbus moves to two, they would pick Malkin, not Barker. Easy.

IF Chicago doesn't like Barker, then I think a deal between the Hawks and CBJ will easily get done and it'll only involve an extra pick (maybe a 3rd this year or a 2nd next year going to the Hawks). IF Chicago does like Barker, I'd imagine, they'll just sit there and pick him.

IF Barker is gone. I would be shocked if CBJ didn't trade down to somewhere between 5-12 and pick up extra picks or a prospect.

Good job. :handclap:

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
If any team drafts Bickell before Bolland, I would laugh hysterically. Bickell is a 5th round talent in a good draft.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Very enjoyable mock TSK. I for one would LOVE the caps to get O'neill, but not at the expense of our next three picks. My intial offer would be the 30th, 33rd, and 57th(or wherever Bostons pick is in the 2nd round). I would consider trading the 27th, 30th and 57th if O'neill for sure was gonna be available and I thought the caps could get Mezaros with the 33rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->