Realignment talk opens an exciting possibility

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date

A Good Flying Bird*

I don't really care who goes in what division. I'd love to see Detroit go to the east, but I won't be selfish.

Let me tall you what I do like.

The four-division league.

But not the way the league talks about it. They're talking about the #1 and 2 teams in each division making the playoffs and then the top four next teams earning wildcards.

Screw that.
Make it the top four from each division.
If you finish 5th in a great division, too bad. Should have finished fourth.

Now comes the best part.

The playoffs.

One vs. 4. 2 vs. 3
Winner vs. Winner.
Division Champ vs Division Champ
Conference Champ vs. Conference Champ.

That's how to develop a rivallry.
8 Detroit-vs-Columbus regular season games mean nothing in terms of starting a fire.

Have a few years of divisional playoff wars ... that's when the blood goes bad.

To me, the NHL hasn't been quite the same since the old Adams, Norris, Smythe and Patrick Divison playoffs were tossed out the window.
Quebec-Montreal? Boston-Montreal? Boston-Buffalo? Calgary-Edmonton? Islanders-Capitals?

Rivalries develop in the playoffs.

Loosen the strings on regular seaosn matchups and make divisional opponents go to war in the playoffs.
Watch the rivalries blossom.

Your thoughts?

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
I agree totally with you. Another problem that I don't like about the NHL proposal is that there won't be much inter-conferance games. I'd like to see every team in Vancouver atleast once.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't really care who goes in what division. I'd love to see Detroit go to the east, but I won't be selfish.

Let me tall you what I do like.

The four-division league.

But not the way the league talks about it. They're talking about the #1 and 2 teams in each division making the playoffs and then the top four next teams earning wildcards.

Screw that.
Make it the top four from each division.
If you finish 5th in a great division, too bad. Should have finished fourth.

Now comes the best part.

The playoffs.

One vs. 4. 2 vs. 3
Winner vs. Winner.
Division Champ vs Division Champ
Conference Champ vs. Conference Champ.

That's how to develop a rivallry.
8 Detroit-vs-Columbus regular season games mean nothing in terms of starting a fire.

Have a few years of divisional playoff wars ... that's when the blood goes bad.

To me, the NHL hasn't been quite the same since the old Adams, Norris, Smythe and Patrick Divison playoffs were tossed out the window.
Quebec-Montreal? Boston-Montreal? Boston-Buffalo? Calgary-Edmonton? Islanders-Capitals?

Rivalries develop in the playoffs.

Loosen the strings on regular seaosn matchups and make divisional opponents go to war in the playoffs.
Watch the rivalries blossom.

Your thoughts?

Not a bad idea, but this really doesn't work for me when you consider two divisions will have 7 teams and the other two would have 8 teams. Teams in the 7 team divisions would have a 57% chance of making the playoffs vs. 50% chances for the other teams. Maybe with 32 teams this scenerio works.

Personally, I like things the way they are. I'd rather see some different playoff matchups instead of the same teams playing each other year after year. That's just me though.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Not a bad idea, but this really doesn't work for me when you consider two divisions will have 7 teams and the other two would have 8 teams. Teams in the 7 team divisions would have a 57% chance of making the playoffs vs. 50% chances for the other teams. Maybe with 32 teams this scenerio works.

Personally, I like things the way they are. I'd rather see some different playoff matchups instead of the same teams playing each other year after year. That's just me though.

Exactly, it penalizes the teams that are in the 8 team division with you plan. Also, some divisions are just plain harder like the Pacific Division- where LA and Phoenix would never have a reasonable chance to break into the top 4 even if they made steady improvements on their rosters. It gives an unfair advantage to the proposed 7 team divisions as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->