Rumor: Re-signings of Flip and Cleary

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not overly attached to Filppula, but his value is being hurt by injuries this year. He's never been healthy since the start of the season.

It would be really nice to get him with reasonable caphit and with no no-trade clause, then it would easy tradeable contract. It's an "incurance" to have him if Pavel leaves, but if somehow Pavel stays longer, we could trade Filppula and open a spot for Järnkrok. But before we know anything about Pavel's future plans after 2014, it's good to have Flip in here.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It would be really nice to get him with reasonable caphit and with no no-trade clause, then it would easy tradeable contract. It's an "incurance" to have him if Pavel leaves, but if somehow Pavel stays longer, we could trade Filppula and open a spot for Järnkrok. But before we know anything about Pavel's future plans after 2014, it's good to have Flip in here.

This and I wouldn't want to lose another player for nothing. Flip at 4x4.5 or something like that would have value unless he's play drops.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
How about Filppula 4 years x 4 M? Good value IMO. I would have less problem with Cleary resigned if Samuelsson was bought out and Bertuzzi retires. Three of them is two too many.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
How about Filppula 4 years x 4 M? Good value IMO. I would have less problem with Cleary resigned if Samuelsson was bought out and Bertuzzi retires. Three of them is two too many.

I like Cleary the least of the 3. We have plenty of young, quick and fresh talent for our bottom six. We need to upgrade our top 6.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'm surprised people are okay with Flip at 4@$4m+; I'd take him at 4@$3.5m or 3@$4m (like I would have taken Hudler ;) ), but not more than that until he really proves that this year was the aberration and not last.

Cleary I could handle in a bottom-line role only (but probably at the expense of Miller, and I'd rather keep Miller), but I'd have to think he might consider retirement after this season. His body is rapidly going downhill, and even though his knees are "new," the rest of him isn't.

I hate not being a GM. :laugh:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Sure then ship him to the Rangers, with Cleary, White and Nyquist/Ferraro for Gaborik.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Cleary should be told "Thanks, but we need to to go in a new direction."

No cheap offers. No tryouts. That's unnacceptable.

We're going to bringing Tatar and Andersson back to Detroit next year after they get demoted. We've got to bring Nyquist up.

As for flip, if all he wants is $4.5M, he's worth it. And with Datsyuk's future up the air, we can't afford to let him walk away

So to recap:
Miller- Let him walk.
Cleary- Let him walk

And then you've still got
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Brunner
Franzen
Flip
Bertuzzi
Sammy
Helm
Tatar
Tootoo
Abdelkader
Eaves
Nyquist
Andersson

There's 14 forwards-- a full roster before you've even started thinking about any UFAs.

Plus, I think guys like Ferraro/Sheahan/Jarnkrok are going to push for spots.

No room for a FA signing :help:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
No room for a FA signing :help:

yea, gotta hope Bert retires, but out Sammy and waive Eaves. Then bring in FA's and young guys who are ready. Nyquist needs to be given legit time up in the NHL, this is getting ridiculous. Move him or let him play.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone

Cleary: "So what now?"

Holland: "Well, you're old as *******. You can't play worth a s***. I think you're still a good fit. If you're willing to come back, we'll have you."

Holland turns to Babcock.

Holland: "What do you think?"

Babcock: "I don't really give a flying ******* anymore. You can re-sign him but I'm going to play him however the ******* I feel like playing him."

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Well it was nice knowing him. Hopefully he plays out of his mind before the trade deadline so we can get a 1st + prospect.

:nod: It's going to be a strong seller's market with so many teams in the hunt this year, so this would be a fantastic time to move him and get something for him instead of holding on to him, missing the playoffs anyway, and then either losing him for nothing in the offseason or overpaying a lot for him. He's not close to a $5M player.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Yeah, it seems to me the difference was REALLY tiny (.... lol?), but it is what it is.

The difference, in addition to the salary, was likely a term thing. Holland was probably only offering 1-2 years, and Hudler likely wanted 3-4.

Like I said before, in a season or so, Holland will trade for him. ;)

Calgary's looking for help at center, Detroit could use a top-six scoring forward.

Filppula+Gustavsson for Hudler+MacDonald? :nod:

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
i wouldn't be surprised if filppula signs in Calgary if he hits UFA, him and hudler always seemed like good buddies and I honestly thought they played their best hockey in detroit whenever they were line mates.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If that is Flip's asking price, I think it best to drive up a bidding war at the deadline for him. Kenny won't shell out that much for him, and we might as well get something for him if he is leaving in the offseason anyway.

RedWingsNow*

I don't think anyone wants to pay Flip $5M a year.

But consider the alternative. If Datsyuk leaves next year and Flip is gone, Detroit might go into Dead Wings era right quick

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Trade Flip, let Cleary go. I'd be more willing to accept Cleary at a reduced price and role (4th-liner, depth guy) but I don't trust Babcock to use him that way. :shakehead

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
i wouldn't be surprised if filppula signs in Calgary if he hits UFA, him and hudler always seemed like good buddies and I honestly thought they played their best hockey in detroit whenever they were line mates.

If that is Flip's asking price, I think it best to drive up a bidding war at the deadline for him. Kenny won't shell out that much for him, and we might as well get something for him if he is leaving in the offseason anyway.

Seems something like a Flip+Quincey for Bouwmeester deal really might work out well for both sides.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I don't think anyone wants to pay Flip $5M a year.

But consider the alternative. If Datsyuk leaves next year and Flip is gone, Detroit might go into Dead Wings era right quick

Flip isn't nearly good enough to mitigate losing Datsyuk. And agreeing to pay him $5M simply b/c Pavel is leaving after next season would be a bad precedent... if I was an Wings RFA like Nyquist, I'd immediately be smelling blood in the water and shoot for more $ b/c I'd be helping to replace Datsyuk also. I'd hope that Kenny would hang up on Flip's agent if he tried to pull a "you're screwed with Pavel leaving and letting Flip walk in FA," b/c that's ridiculous.

Actually, I kinda hope that conversation happens before the deadline, b/c that may be the kick in the ass that Kenny needs to shop Flip and then look to make a solid couple of moves in FA and in the trade market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad